WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been recently considering a DSN Fiddy and I've gotten prices for both variants, and was wondering if there's a quantifiable performance difference between the Asian and Swiss 6497 movements that he uses? Has anyone done a comparison on accuracy and (dare I say) longevity of the two movements?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
One says "Swiss Made" and one doesn't. Beyond that there is no difference. I have the Asian Unitas 6497 in my Getat pam 111 homage and the ETA 6497-1 in my Tissot T-Complication skeleton.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
One says "Swiss Made" and one doesn't. Beyond that there is no difference. I have the Asian Unitas 6497 in my Getat pam 111 homage and the ETA 6497-1 in my Tissot T-Complication skeleton.
There was a comparison in the German Uhrenmagazin which came to the same conclusion. They tested an ETA 6497 and its Sea-Gull ST36 and Hangzhou 9000 clones. The function and precision were equal. The clones have a cruder finish, but that doesn't compromise the function. The main difference is visual. The standard grade ETA looks very plain and simple, while the elaborated ETAs have true Geneva stripes and a great overall finish. The clones use a stamped decorative pattern which imitates Geneva stripes even in the standard versions.

In essence: function is the same, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
another difference is the BPH rate
seems like all the clones beats at 21600 BPH
while UNITAS has two versions of calibers: -1 beats slower, at 18800 BPH and -2 beats at regular 21600 BPH (f.ex. 6497-1, 6497-2)
ETA Unitas Caliber 6497-1 VS. 6497-2 Watch Movement | CaliberCorner.com
I had -1 version in steinhart pilot LE and it's a quite extraordinary experience :) I liked it! :) ticked slow and solid, like a tracktor :)

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
another difference is the BPH rate
seems like all the clones beats at 21600 BPH
while UNITAS has two versions of calibers: -1 beats slower, at 18800 BPH and -2 beats at regular 21600 BPH (f.ex. 6497-1, 6497-2)
ETA Unitas Caliber 6497-1 VS. 6497-2 Watch Movement | CaliberCorner.com
I had -1 version in steinhart pilot LE and it's a quite extraordinary experience :) I liked it! :) ticked slow and solid, like a tracktor :)
Correct: the Asian clones are of the high-beat -2. It doesn't effect the accuracy, but you notice it in a piece with a seconds hand thanks to that 1 extra beat per second. The sweep isn't as smooth on the 18000BHP. (I have both and I prefer the "dial-side" aesthetic of the higher beat models).

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
There was a comparison in the German Uhrenmagazin which came to the same conclusion. They tested an ETA 6497 and its Sea-Gull ST36 and Hangzhou 9000 clones. The function and precision were equal. The clones have a cruder finish, but that doesn't compromise the function. The main difference is visual. The standard grade ETA looks very plain and simple, while the elaborated ETAs have true Geneva stripes and a great overall finish. The clones use a stamped decorative pattern which imitates Geneva stripes even in the standard versions.

In essence: function is the same, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I'll trust the magazine's statement, though I have looked at this thread a few times:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/how-do-seagull-hangzhou-compare-eta-depth-look-216945.html
It's not about the handwind clones, but about the 2824-2 and its clone comparison. But the OP does note that some of the lack of fine finishing may result in performance issues, too (though, in his conclusion, not much). Now, I'm not sure that's necessarily worth the relative increase in price, but it is nice to know that you are getting at least a little more for your money.

Reactions: ffritz

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,136 Posts
I don't think stocks of the 18,000bph Hangzhou are exhausted yet, although the 21,600 entered production a couple of years back. Personally I prefer a slower beat on a big pocket-watch movement.

Also, as others stated, there is also a difference in decoration. I don't think ETA offer anything that looks quite like the ST36 skeleton:

Reactions: JakeJD

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My Tissot T-Complication skeleton has an ETA 6497, but I think I've read that the movement was decorated in-house by Tissot. You're right though, it doesn't look like the ST36 skeletonized movement.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Oh, there's a difference of roughly $1000 dollars too. Don't forget that one.
For just the movement, closer to $200. You can get an ST36 or equivalent hi-beat movement on ebay for $50, but an ETA 6497-2 will run you closer to $250 new. My ETA/Unitas movements are all 6497-1s that I've pulled from old pocket watches that cost me $50-90.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
For just the movement, closer to $200. You can get an ST36 or equivalent hi-beat movement on ebay for $50, but an ETA 6497-2 will run you closer to $250 new. My ETA/Unitas movements are all 6497-1s that I've pulled from old pocket watches that cost me $50-90.
that's probably correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts