WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe my eyes aren´t fully functional but when looking at these pics of the Askania Taifun (TAI 671-2) and the Damasko DA 36...:think: :think:

....and reading the texture of the Taifun...

The new Taifun models continue ASKANIA's tradition of extremely robust pilot's watches. Stainless steel, thoroughly hardened to 62 HRC, an anti-magnetic inner case as well as the innovative ASKANIA lubricated crown-sealing system make this collection extremely reliable.

.....I see a lot of similarities to Damasko techniques (lubrication cell, crown, hardened steel case to 62 HRC, anti-magnetic inner case).:think: :think:

Got curious if the case could be made by Damasko ?

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Excellently spotted, Mike ... :gold

But it cant be: the Askania crown-sealing system is "innovative", so it can hardly come from Damasko, can it? We know that watchmakers are truthful, even if it hurts ... :-D :-X ;-)

BTW, do the hands bear a resemblance to the DA37 hands, by any chance?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellently spotted, Mike ... :gold

But it cant be: the Askania crown-sealing system is "innovative", so it can hardly come from Damasko, can it? We know that watchmakers are truthful, even if it hurts ... :-D :-X ;-)
You know I visited Askania once, maybe it´s time for a second visit with a questionaire ??:) :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I was wondering about that too ;-) Anyway, since the Askania costs about 2x the price of the Damasko, guess which one is my favorite ;-)

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
I checked out the Askania website a bit more. Of the Taifun models, only two are credited with a case hardness of 62 Rockwell, an antimagnetic inner case and the crown stem lubrication system.

Is this a sibling of the elusive DA46 ?

The bezel with the cut-off triangle and the numbers looks awfully familiar ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Crusader,

You're right with the bezel but the Askania bezel is knurled, the Damasko bezel is milled but indeed the cut-off triangle and the numbers look awfully familiar ;-) ;-)

As Micha already pointed out: The Damsko watches are less expensive and the better tools. The Askania is something in between.

But imho it's nice to know that others are interested in Damasko techniques. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Mike, I posted my opinion in the Pilot's watches forum
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=215531#poststop

It seems to me this Askania is missing of any original feature besides the higher price tag.
It's a pity, really, because of the long tradition and history of the brand.
My thinking: why does not Askania develop an updated issue of the pilot watch of the II WW advertised on the website, instead?? (pic. "borrowed" from Askania website)

I think military and military-style watch enthusiasts would appreciate it very much, much more than any other seems-to-be watch.... better if not in limited edition, used by marketing to promote sales for making any watch to become collectable.....

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Hi -

I think you're absolutely right: a reissue of *that* Askania would be a very, very good addition to the market. Instead we get what looks to be rebranded OEM watches.

Nothing agains that - really! - but if you have a design heritage, why not pick up on that and expand on it? The watch you show here has got some great design elements - the lume dots, the perfect positioning of the minute hand length, the classic fonts, the great hands themselves, as well as a very decent and properly done crown - and a modern interpretation of this, slighly modified - I'd redo the subseconds and reduce the lume dots by around 10% of their original diameter, plus make the inner minute markings just slightly longer, but thinner, and of course give the face the same kind of black-hole-nothing-reflects finish you find on modern aviators - could be a new instant classic, especially if it were priced around the €600 mark or so with the appropriate calibre inside. And you could expand that design basis for any number of chronographs, such as both a bicompax vertical and a standard tricompax to put together a rather nice set of aviators.

The new AskAniA has much too large a logo and the designs are too generic for my taste. I've seen them in the flesh, and while they are certainly nice watches, for the money I'd get a Sinn or a ChronoSport: but for the money, a reissue of this one would get my interest.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen that particular one. Now all I have to do is find one of these in decent shape for my collection... :)

JohnF

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
You're right with the bezel but the Askania bezel is knurled, the Damasko bezel is milled but indeed the cut-off triangle and the numbers look awfully familiar ;-) ;-)
I should have said "bezel insert" ;-) - but then again, I haven't seen the DA46 bezel yet. AFAIK it will use a different (simpler) mechanism from the DC66 bezel, so perhaps it will have a different outward shape, too?

I wonder what the price point of these Askania-badged watches is ... while I am kind of interested in the brand and its heritage, I am afraid that they are two or three levels above what I can afford. Which is kind of ... ambitious for a relative newcomer. :-(

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The new Taifun models continue ASKANIA's tradition of extremely robust pilot's watches. Stainless steel, thoroughly hardened to 62 HRC, an anti-magnetic inner case as well as the innovative ASKANIA lubricated crown-sealing system make this collection extremely reliable.[/COLOR]

.....I see a lot of similarities to Damasko techniques (lubrication cell, crown, hardened steel case to 62 HRC, anti-magnetic inner case).:think: :think:

Got curious if the case could be made by Damasko ?
Don´t you remember who owns all these patents for these techniques ? B-)
Then you should know the answer. But I know you know ;-)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Don´t you remember who owns all these patents for these techniques ? B-)
Then you should know the answer. But I know you know ;-)

For checkin patents you might have a look to my previous thread posted in Public Forum: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=34469

By going to the homepage of the European Patent Office:

http://ep.espacenet.com/quickSearch?locale=en_EP (available in English, German, French) and choosing a Quick Search with the options:
- Database: worldwide;
- Type of search: Persons or Organization
- Search terms: please, digit "Damasko"

you will find, splitted in 2 pages, 17 international patents registred by Damasko Konrad and Damasko Petra.
You can check the original document by clicking on it, many original documents of patents are downloadable in .pdf format.
Here attached two examples.
Enjoy it!!! B-)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi -

I think you're absolutely right: a reissue of *that* Askania would be a very, very good addition to the market. Instead we get what looks to be rebranded OEM watches.

Nothing agains that - really! - but if you have a design heritage, why not pick up on that and expand on it? The watch you show here has got some great design elements - the lume dots, the perfect positioning of the minute hand length, the classic fonts, the great hands themselves, as well as a very decent and properly done crown - and a modern interpretation of this, slighly modified - I'd redo the subseconds and reduce the lume dots by around 10% of their original diameter, plus make the inner minute markings just slightly longer, but thinner, and of course give the face the same kind of black-hole-nothing-reflects finish you find on modern aviators - could be a new instant classic, especially if it were priced around the €600 mark or so with the appropriate calibre inside. And you could expand that design basis for any number of chronographs, such as both a bicompax vertical and a standard tricompax to put together a rather nice set of aviators.

The new AskAniA has much too large a logo and the designs are too generic for my taste. I've seen them in the flesh, and while they are certainly nice watches, for the money I'd get a Sinn or a ChronoSport: but for the money, a reissue of this one would get my interest.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen that particular one. Now all I have to do is find one of these in decent shape for my collection... :)

JohnF
I totally agree with you!!!
I've seen too many "wannabe-pilot" or "wannabe-military" watches having only the brand in common with the original model and trying to be a copy of a still-existing model on market..... <|

My thinking is that consumers are asking for watches that have to be clearly and easily recognizable for the "family feeling" (a Rolex, a Panerai, a Swatch, an Omega Speedy, a JLC Reverso are easily identified by watch enthusiasts also because their designs had become classics) by looking at the brand tradition, and it seems to me that Askania missed a great opportunity for a marketing operation that it could be successful, especially by having a reasonable target price.
Of course, it would be necessary to make some investments for the watch case design and watertightness and probably this would cause some worries to the company management :oops: .
By the way, the picture of the Askania military is from the company website and this makes me seriously wonder about Askania's marketing strategy :)-S????)

My best whishes for your search for the original Askania, I hope you will have soon chances to share some scans....
Regards.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ugo

Regarding Damasko patents you may also have a look at USPTO (United States Patent and Trade Mark Office)

>just to complete the picture< :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks, Mike. :-! Great!!!

The documentation about our beloved timepieces is important for educating myself and people to appreciate fine watchmaking and to distinguish innovation and original novelties from marketing.
An insane mania and expensive hobby, as seen by many fellows, becomes technical and historical culture..... ;-)
At lest I can have something to tell to my wife for justifying a further watch purchased...!!! :-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts