WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read some good reviews (on reliability) on a website - 21jewels.com (singapore based company)

So purchased a watch through their website. I then got an email saying :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nn carrying out our monitoring, we have noticed that your account needs further verification in line with current regulations, and we have temporarily restricted your account.

Your orders will be fully reactivated once we receive the following documents to prove you are the card holder.

1.) Personal Identification: A clear copy of your Passport, Photographic Drivers Licence or I.D. Card (both sides).
2.) Payment Verification: A clear copy of both sides of the credit/debit card
3.) Address Verification : A clear copy of a recent bank statement on which your name and address are clearly visible.

You may prefer to scan and email the documents to ...

------------------------

This frightened me some what and I wrote back saying that I did not want to give then such details, so if they are not willing to proceed, that I would like my money back (paid via mastercard)

Has anyone else come across this. What do you guys think !

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Are you serious???

Tell them to refund your money, and go take another toke off the glass pipe!<|

I mean honestly, You are just trying to by a watch. Not applying for the secret service.
And inform your credit card company of this. Save the email, whatever you do.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Geez, that's got 'scam' written all over it. Those are just the things they need to carry out a first class identity theft.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sure, I've come across this before. Actually, in a very nice personal letter from the Prince of Nigeria...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey! I'm working with him right now! There's some money his uncle has tied up here in the States and I'm, er, helping them get it...
Are you my long lost cousin!? :)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The most I have EVER had to do was fax a copy of my CC to them to prove it was me purchasing the watch, Because I bought it and wanted to ship it to a different address than was on the CC (billing address):think:

·
Registered
408 Posts
theyre looking for the three digit security # on the back of your card and the information to support using it fraudulently.

I purchased a computer case from a reputable LOCAL online seller while living in Vancouver and next thing I knew I was getting charges from Hong Kong.
The business was asian based and held a small store front. I didnt provide any of the information your being asked to and still got screwed.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Oh, and while you're reporting them to MasterCard, be sure to go back to that website where you read those reviews and let them know what happened as well. I'll bet those "really good reviews" were actually written by their own people to lure unsuspecting people in.

Mike

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Are you positive the email actually came from the company? There is nothing watch-specific in it I noticed, nor is there anything specific enough to relate it to your actual situation at all (and many scams/spam are necessarily vague like this).

I only ask because a.) what was requested in the email is absolutely insane and b.) I have read good things in the past about 21 jewels (although admittedly I have never bought from them myself).

Might be worth confirming with them somehow that they actually penned the request. If it really was them I would agree with others that you should cancel your CC immediately.

Best,
HBL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have canceled my credit card. No transactions have taken place since the one for the watch. That is a weight off my mind. However it was a 105 pound purchase, so if I don't get it, i don't know if my bank / cc company will refund the money.

Also, if the company try and refund me, they can't on the same card because it has been cancelled, so would have to send a check, which sounds unlikely.

I can only hope that, they send me the product I paid for.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yeah, see I typed in 21jewels.com review and one of the web pages that
came up was

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=124978

it is this forum
Wow, now that's a surprise! I read that thread and they seem like a legit operation... maybe someone is hijacking their e-mail addresses? It's been done many times with other online companies.

Anyway, you did the right thing by cancelling the credit card. It's better to keep your money safe and go through a little inconvenience than to be hit hard by charges you never made and might never get back.

Mike

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Thats a sketchy email for sure. Dont do it.

I once faxed copies of my credit card and license to a reputable AD to confirm my identity. No problems. For ship orders I think this is standard protocol for some ADs

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,949 Posts
So I read some good reviews (on reliability) on a website - 21jewels.com (singapore based company)

So purchased a watch through their website. I then got an email saying :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nn carrying out our monitoring, we have noticed that your account needs further verification in line with current regulations, and we have temporarily restricted your account.

Your orders will be fully reactivated once we receive the following documents to prove you are the card holder.

1.) Personal Identification: A clear copy of your Passport, Photographic Drivers Licence or I.D. Card (both sides).
2.) Payment Verification: A clear copy of both sides of the credit/debit card
3.) Address Verification : A clear copy of a recent bank statement on which your name and address are clearly visible.

You may prefer to scan and email the documents to ...

------------------------

This frightened me some what and I wrote back saying that I did not want to give then such details, so if they are not willing to proceed, that I would like my money back (paid via mastercard)

Has anyone else come across this. What do you guys think !
Who recommended them? That sounds like identity phishing to me.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I bought a watch online from a Singapore retailer once and I did have to fax him a copy of my driver's license, which I did and received the watch with no problems. Are you sure they are asking you for all of the above, or just one of the three as proof of identity? After all, they need to protect against fraud also.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thats a sketchy email for sure. Dont do it.

I once faxed copies of my credit card and license to a reputable AD to confirm my identity. No problems. For ship orders I think this is standard protocol for some ADs
Yep, this is the most I've ever had to do on an online purchase. They needed a copy of my license or some sort of ID to verify I was the correct person using the credit card. Sounded fair, since local stores usually ask to see ID when using a credit card. But asking for a bank statement? That's too far...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts