WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my step father left me this 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513. It is in a very bad way, so I hoping for some advice on how I should proceed? It also comes with its box and papers. The case is unpolished with an engraved caseback.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
You'll have to include some more information on how you want to proceed.

If you want to keep it and wear it, then the cost of restoration is going to vary depending on to what level you wish to restore it and what kind of shape the movement is in, but it's not going to be cheap regardless. If it were mine the first thing I would do is get it to a Rolex Service Center and let them give you some options and an estimate. That will give you a reference should you decide to have it done by someone else.

If you want to sell it, then you might want to consider selling it as is. Assuming the movement is in the same shape as the rest of it, which seems likely, it might be worth $2-3K or so as it is now and any restoration isn't likely to increase that value beyond the cost of the restoration.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
You'll have to include some more information on how you want to proceed.

If you want to keep it and wear it, then the cost of restoration is going to vary depending on to what level you wish to restore it and what kind of shape the movement is in, but it's not going to be cheap regardless. If it were mine the first thing I would do is get it to a Rolex Service Center and let them give you some options and an estimate. That will give you a reference should you decide to have it done by someone else.

If you want to sell it, then you might want to consider selling it as is. Assuming the movement is in the same shape as the rest of it, which seems likely, it might be worth $2-3K or so as it is now and any restoration isn't likely to increase that value beyond the cost of the restoration.
You do realize that RSC don't do vintage restoration right?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Please be very careful on how you proceed. Rolex Service Centers operate within different guidelines depending on where you are on the planet.

My first question to you is where are you located?

If you're in a country (like the US) that has numerous independent Rolex qualified Watchmakers that also have Rolex parts accounts, using one of those would be my suggestion, as they'll do as much work (or as little) as you request

A Rolex AD will mostly (the location thing kicks in here) want to turn the watch back to its original condition, which may not be what you want or be what's best for its value

Tell us your location and we can probably help with more info

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Exactly! But I think OP wants to restore it to factory condition and is happy to send it to RSC. Horrid thought and sacrilegious for purists, I know....
It is definitely sacrilegious! nothing beats the charm of the patina, and those nicks and scratches, I bet every single one can tell a great story; too bad it's not my birth year, I would have bought it in a jiffy, put a nato on it, and wore it as is

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hello and welcome. It would seem that you know what year and watch model you have. You also seemed to have figured out what kind of a site this is, which means you know how to search for information on the internet. You seem to know that box and papers mean something, otherwise, you would have not made mention much less posted pictures of them. So one of two things....You already did your homework, are playing dumb, and are a troll. 2? You are a troll.

IBTL

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
If you wouldn’t mind, please post a picture of watch with a note next to it with today’s date and your username. Failure to comply will result in thread deletion.

Thank you
OP where are you?? I want to hear more about this watch and see more pics, post the dang picture jmod is requesting we can keep talking. Don’t rob us of this we are all secretly living vicariously through you imaging a loved one giving us a treasure like this

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP where are you?? I want to hear more about this watch and see more pics, post the dang picture jmod is requesting we can keep talking. Don’t rob us of this we are all secretly living vicariously through you imaging a loved one giving us a treasure like this
Hi sorry I will be posting better pics early next week. I read further up someone wants pics today or they will close my post? Ok well if you want to do that do it, but I will be posting again with the pictures and you will feel a little foolish.

I am getting one of my nephews to take the pictures as I am no good plus I want to open the case up and his father has the correct tool apparently. Given whats happening in the world right now I cant just pop over and do this its like planning for D day to do even something minor.

Not sure I want rolex to look at this though, still weighing it up. They will keep the dial right?

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
Hi sorry I will be posting better pics early next week. I read further up someone wants pics today or they will close my post? Ok well if you want to do that do it, but I will be posting again with the pictures and you will feel a little foolish.

I am getting one of my nephews to take the pictures as I am no good plus I want to open the case up and his father has the correct tool apparently. Given whats happening in the world right now I cant just pop over and do this its like planning for D day to do even something minor.

Not sure I want rolex to look at this though, still weighing it up. They will keep the dial right?
I don’t know what Rolex will do, never had an old watch to send to them but thanks for updating, looking forward to seeing more when you can

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi sorry I will be posting better pics early next week. I read further up someone wants pics today or they will close my post? Ok well if you want to do that do it, but I will be posting again with the pictures and you will feel a little foolish. I am getting one of my nephews to take the pictures
Your pictures were fine. You can post with no issues it would seem. Why wait a week for your nephews?

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,628 Posts

It’s not just “someone” who wants a picture, it’s me.....the forum moderator. I don’t want a fancy picture, just a picture with the requested information to help with provenance that the watch is in your possession.

You have to understand.......we have many devious and undesirable individuals that come here and attempt to swindle and scam members out of their hard-earned money. Unfortunately, sometimes they are successful.

Please help to keep this a safer place and post a pic for me.

Also, what do you stand to gain by opening the case? Do you have some reason to believe it doesn’t have an authentic Rolex movement inside? Personally, I wouldn’t open it. I don’t see where you will gain anything by opening the case.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
So 4 hours ago you wrote a long post and failed to mention where you're located, even though I and then another member asked you

It seems that either you don't really want our help or you're not actually sure exactly where you are, and therefore can't tell us

Reactions: kramamurthy

·
Registered
16,387 Posts
So 4 hours ago you wrote a long post and failed to mention where you're located, even though I and then another member asked you

It seems that either you don't really want our help or you're not actually sure exactly where you are, and therefore can't tell us
Calm down.

Not everyone lives and breaths these forums.

Narembeen is a town in WA, Australia and is quite remote.

In this region, it's likely the OP is a farmer and has some rather more important things to do during the day rather than spend time on the internet.
It's also likely his internet connection isn't the best.

Patience is a virtue...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Calm down.

Not everyone lives and breaths these forums.

Narembeen is a town in WA, Australia and is quite remote.

In this region, it's likely the OP is a farmer and has some rather more important things to do during the day rather than spend time on the internet.
It's also likely his internet connection isn't the best.

Patience is a virtue...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Cheers, yes population 496. I am also in my 60's so I will do my best to keep everyone happy. Sorry if I am not tech savy enough or I come across as the mod said a scammer(?) I appreciate all the help

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.