WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Astor + Banks just released their new watch, the Fortitude. Curious what others think of the brand and watch:

Case dimensions are great, anti-magnetic properties are always a bonus. The movement is a slight downer...

Case and Bracelet Dimensions
Case Size: 38.5mm fit w/ Viton gaskets
Lug to Lug: 46mm
Height: 11.9mm
Lug Width: 20mm
Bracelet: 20mm x 16mm

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
I like the first two models, great dials. Very nice watch overall and I like that bracelet.
The size is a bit small for me but I am a fan. There is also a family resemblance, I appreciate the common design language with the prior model, Sea Ranger.

Reactions: xInZax

·
Registered
278 Posts
Brand name is kind of weird, but I think it is a nice looking watch. Even though it is bit too small for me, I think that size would be a good fit for most people. You also mention about movement being a slight downer, but I think it is a okay movement at that price point.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brand name is kind of weird, but I think it is a nice looking watch. Even though it is bit too small for me, I think that size would be a good fit for most people. You also mention about movement being a slight downer, but I think it is a okay movement at that price point.
Very true, the Miyota Caliber M9015 is very trusty

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Interesting release. I like the case dimensions and the pre-order price. Fun color choices. Don't like the name of the brand. If I didn't have a Monta Triumph in the collection and an Orion Hellcat on the way I would give this release some serious consideration. I hope some people jump in on it because I would love to see more photos/videos of the mint green and MOP dials.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If there was a no date version I'd seriously consider it. The special edition one is fantastic. The price the clothing store is charging for it, not so much.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting release. I like the case dimensions and the pre-order price. Fun color choices. Don't like the name of the brand. If I didn't have a Monta Triumph in the collection and an Orion Hellcat on the way I would give this release some serious consideration. I hope some people jump in on it because I would love to see more photos/videos of the mint green and MOP dials.
Yeah, I’d like to see a review. I like the simplicity, been looking for a white dial everyday watch. Hard to go with that when the Sarb035 is cheaper haha

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If there was a no date version I'd seriously consider it. The special edition one is fantastic. The price the clothing store is charging for it, not so much.
I agree with the gilt. That’s prob the most interesting and nicest looking, but not at that price!

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
It sounds like a name trying to sound like a name. Any relation to Jos. A. Banks?
There's no "s" at the end of Jos A. Bank.

Reactions: plohmann

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Hodinkee and Time+Tide both did stories on these today.

The date window was pointed out as an issue because, apparently, the dial is extra thick to facilitate the soft iron layer for the magnetic resistance. The comment was it was often partly in shadow. That makes for a strong argument for no date window at all.

I agree that...at this price point? Dissing the 9015 seems purely knee-jerk. It's basically as accurate as a standard grade 2824, while being thinner and with a better PR...AND cheaper and notably thinner. The 8xxx's have more issues, that's for sure, but the 9-series are an excellent choice in this range. A standard-grade 2824 or equivalent Sellita is gonna add, what, 50-100 bucks for not much real gain. Going up to Elabore improves the accuracy but it'll raise the price that much more.

I'd serious consider it; it looks quite nice, the size is good. Hodinkee has a pic showing drilled lugs, which means if desired the bracelet's a lot easier to remove. Legibility on the blue and white look excellent. Generous lume is a good thing on a sport-field style. 200m WR is a bit of overkill but not that much; this is very much of a field watch, IMO, so 50m is dead min, and 100m is my personal preference.

Heck, I might order one anyway.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Named after the Astor and Banks intersection in Chicago

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah, that was my complaint with the Sea Ranger.
I found when I got to try on the the Sea Ranger in person that it actually wore thinner than the thickness indicated.

Reactions: Jae Arr
1 - 20 of 39 Posts