WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just looking for opinions on Astrons as a whole, finish comparisons (other brands, other Seiko), what are they like to wear frequently etc (all the usual questions really). The two models I am considering are:

SBXB025

SBXB055

It's either this or a I buy an Apple watch ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,022 Posts
I think they are very cool. I wear one in my rotation. If you travel the GPS time zone correction is great, if you don't, it is nothing more than an under used gadget. I change watches to much to use an Apple to its full potential. The finish work on my Astron is great. It wears well and is very comfortable. If anything it is a little to modern and trendy for me, but I still wear it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the Astron GPS in general. I have a 1st gen SAST009 (SBXA009) that I wear in rotation. Generally have no issues with sync and such. I think the finish is above mid range Seikos but definitely not as good as high end Seikos. I personally would recommend the SBXB055 over the SBXB025 since the second timezone is more useful for a GPS watch compared to a chronograph in my opinion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally would recommend the SBXB055 over the SBXB025 since the second timezone is more useful for a GPS watch compared to a chronograph in my opinion.
Dammit! I was hoping for chrono and dual time (which I thought from Seiya's description the SBXB055 it had) as I do travel a bit but probably use the chrono more. Sadly not according to Seiko - I have a great price from Higuchi on the SBXB025 so not sure where to head.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
i had a sse007... used it for about 5 months continually and looked brand new. the hard coating is amazing, the anti reflective coating had people tapping my dial thinking there wasn't a sapphire crystal on. the finish is zaratsu the bezel is ceramic so it looks polished and new, the GPS would sync perfectly on a daily basis... no downside really.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had a sse007... used it for about 5 months
Out of interest, did you move it on and if so why? I'll be purchasing this in the next month or so, along with trading my Brietling for a Tudor BB Red, but that will be it for the year.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have the SBXB025, otherwise known as SSE025. It's a great-looking watch and I'm very pleased with it. I wear it pretty much every day. The finish is much higher than regular Seiko offerings, though obviously nowhere near GS or anything like that. I'll echo that comment about the AR coating - sometimes it looks like there is no glass there at all.

I also agree with Mucchan than the dual time models like the SBXB055 are probably more useful if you're really going to use it as a travel watch, the AM/PM indicator in particular.

Personally though, I prefer the chronograph models. The bezel on the dual time models is flat and sort of blocky, while on the chrono models the bezel slopes down to the case, which I think makes them look a little nicer. I did a brief review of mine here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've owned Seiko watches for several years. My first Seiko was purchased in Japan while I was stationed there in the military in 1977. I loved Seiko watches but stopped buying them in the late 90s because of issues with customer service and support. Watchmakers were also complaining about getting parts as well as service and support.

But I'm not one to hold a grudge so I bought this model about 2 months ago. Seiko USA / Collections / Astron / Men / Watch Model / SSE053 I really liked the watch in the pictures but since it was brand new on the market I didn't have a local dealer where I could take a look at it in person. So I bought it online. When I got the watch the first two things that I didn't like were how they applied the lume to the indexes and the super reflective dial and hands.

The lume is applied by machine but it stops at the upper end of the indexes in a big glob. It's not evenly applied across the entire index. The Lume was OK but most of my other watches were superior in brightness, intensity, and longevity.

The thing that bothered me the most was the dial. It was so reflective, in certain lighting conditions, that I literally had to hunt to find the hands on the dial. It was almost like looking into a broken mirror with all the reflections coming off the dial and the hands.

Another oddity, while not a big deal, was that unlike several of the Citizen Eco drive watches I've owned, the Seiko would go into sleep mode and the hands would stop after a few days of low level indoor lighting (sitting in my glass watch case on my desk). It had plenty of light just not direct sunlight. None of my Citizens ever did this. The only time they go into sleep mode is when there in complete darkness for a day or two. While I'm sure this is to conserve energy the specs for both the Citizen and Seiko are similar for their respective power reserves.

Another minor pet peeve was the amount of time it took to sync with the satellites. Once it did sync and change the time it took forever for the movement to move the hands to the correct time. Here's a YouTube Video of a comparison of Satellite watches being synced to adjust the date and time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7wEWkb-Ic. It is, by far, the slowest of all the current Satellite watches out there. The Seiko model I purchased is in the comparison video as well.

I was also looking at similar models by Citizen that were just coming out but decided to go with the Seiko. After I had the Seiko watch for a few weeks I decided that I just couldn't live with the shortcomings I had with watch. Luckily the fantastic Authorized Dealer that I bought it from graciously took it back with no questions asked.

In the end I wound up buying this watch. Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave - World Time GPS CC3000-89L Satellite It was more than $400.00 cheaper although it didn't have a dual time zone. But I really don't need that anyway. The citizen is one of the most legible watches I own. The sync speed is fast. Changing to the correct time zone after sync is super fast. The lume is great and overall it's just a better watch with more sophisticated technology.

These, of course, are just my opinions and others may disagree with my opinions and dislikes about the Seiko. But I thought it was only fair to give you my unbiased opinion.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy whichever watch you decide to purchase. Be sure to let us know what you bought. Most importantly post pictures of whatever you buy so we can all enjoy your new watch as "eye candy" here on the forums.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@mitch57 Wow! Thanks for the appraisal. Weirdly I have a 'thing' against Citizen following a dive watch purchase in the 90's in an Airport on the way to a diving holiday that failed after a couple of days and I got no quarter from them whatsoever!

After all the comments, I am not sure which model to go for. Although I travel every couple of months (at least), I think the Chrono may be used more. Difficult for me to call - I used to alter the GMT setting on my Breitling on every trip but now only do it when I go to the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
The lume is applied by machine but it stops at the upper end of the indexes in a big glob. It's not evenly applied across the entire index. The Lume was OK but most of my other watches were superior in brightness, intensity, and longevity.

The thing that bothered me the most was the dial. It was so reflective, in certain lighting conditions, that I literally had to hunt to find the hands on the dial. It was almost like looking into a broken mirror with all the reflections coming off the dial and the hands.

Another oddity... the Seiko would go into sleep mode and the hands would stop after a few days of low level indoor lighting (sitting in my glass watch case on my desk).

Another minor pet peeve was the amount of time it took to sync with the satellites.

These, of course, are just my opinions...
i'd have to say that your model is just the wrong color mix, hence all the visual problems... but as far as the sleep mode, it's evoked by lack of movement, not just lighting conditions. and lastly in the video you can see 2 tests within 2 mins, even with camera cuts and the time it takes him to press and hold buttons, which means less than 1 min to sync regardless of model.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i'd have to say that your model is just the wrong color mix, hence all the visual problems... but as far as the sleep mode, it's evoked by lack of movement, not just lighting conditions. and lastly in the video you can see 2 tests within 2 mins, even with camera cuts and the time it takes him to press and hold buttons, which means less than 1 min to sync regardless of model.

True. I thought the color combination might be part of the issue with reflections. But without seeing, in person, any of the other models that's just speculation at this point. I suspect that all the dials are reflective in order attract the lighting to the dial.

They may all be within a minute to sync but the Citizens are much faster. I find the excruciatingly slow movement of the hands after the syncing a bit annoying. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds max.

The citizen models move both hands at once in order to accomplish a "Quick Set" time change. The Seiko watch hands move in unison the same way they do if you were changing the time on most mechanical watches. But much, much slower.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the SBXB025, otherwise known as SSE025. It's a great-looking watch and I'm very pleased with it. I wear it pretty much every day. The finish is much higher than regular Seiko offerings, though obviously nowhere near GS or anything like that. I'll echo that comment about the AR coating - sometimes it looks like there is no glass there at all.

I also agree with Mucchan than the dual time models like the SBXB055 are probably more useful if you're really going to use it as a travel watch, the AM/PM indicator in particular.

Personally though, I prefer the chronograph models. The bezel on the dual time models is flat and sort of blocky, while on the chrono models the bezel slopes down to the case, which I think makes them look a little nicer. I did a brief review of mine here.
What colour is the dial on your SSE025?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stumbled upon a local Seiko stockist that had a SSE022J1 in the window, so went in and tried it on for size. I found it absolutely stunning, the detailing is especially excellent and it wears nicely smaller than the dimensions suggest. Still don't know which to get but I am definitely set on purchasing one soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts