WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote about this watch when I received Robin and Wilfried's prototype piece for review, as that No. 000 watch visited a number of reviewers one after the other, around the globe.

Well, I have one of my own, now, No. 192, and it's a gift I'll proudly accept from Atelier Wen, especially given my personal backstory with Robin--and therefore the brand. Robin and I have both been very open about our friendship since we first met, by total coincidence in Beijing, which that last link describes. It was my immediate decision to introduce Robin to Li Wei of the China Horologe Association after that chance meeting that gave Robin his very first introductions to the people in the Chinese watch industry. It's been my great pleasure to see Robin and his business partner Wilfried take thoughtful advantage of every opportunity that has followed.

So, here's my new Atelier Wen "Hao". I still think it's every bit as as beautiful as I thought when I first held the prototype. I love wearing it. It's plainly Chinese, very clearly influenced by tradition, but it presents fully up-to-date on the wrist. And, since my watch-related budget very much mostly goes to travel rather than buying more watches, I'm also plain really grateful to have some fresh new wrist candy.

https://www.amchpr.com/uploads/5/7/6/1/57616385/atelier18_orig.jpg[/img]

·
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love that dial
Thanks, Brad. Me, too :)

I met the Chinese designers that Robin and Wilfried work with: Liu Yuguan and Li Mingliang, and they're both young, sharp, serious and level-headed. Seen here talking with Li Wei of the CHA, outside a shoot for a CCTV9 documentary on economy, history, art and manufacturing.

And, here, with Robin and Wilfried, at the same shoot.

The show is expected to air in November and Robin says I can likely post the thing on my site, so I'll keep you all notified. (I have a small bit in the documentary as a western 'expert' on Chinese watch manufacturing history, in this case: the history of Liaoning Watch Factory (1957), which became Kongque/Peacock (1977), which makes the Hao's movement.) Li Wei took this photo of me shooting shooting.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Lovely watch. Ron.

Spent only a brief time with mine when it first arrived. First timing tests gave poor results, but after letting it run for a few weeks in the winder while I was distracted by other events, I find when I time it now that it is running very well indeed. I'm really looking forward to giving it some wear, though I fear it may prove too tall for my wrist.

Truly a stunning effort across the board from Robin, Wilfried, and all of the artists and artisans they brought together. And to think, this is only their first watch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts