WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the atomic watches adjust even if not set in a window? I live in upstate NY but don't have a window sill facing west.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be by a window, I used to own one and I wore it to sleep and it would sync up while I slept. I live in Southern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Atomic watches don't need a window necessarily unless you are inside a steel framed building. Just aim the top (12 oclock) toward Colorado by midnight when it should automatically start syncing. If not, you can start the sync manually per the owners manual, which is available by online .pdf download.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
From upstate New York, don't expect a manual synch to work during daylight hours -- the radio signals travel MUCH farther at night: Coverage Area for NIST Radio Station WWVB

All nine of my atomics synch every night here in Ohio, across the room from a west-facing window. My newest atomic is a PAW-1100 Pathfinder, which consistently surprises me by synching while on my wrist in the rec room/computer room, which is on the ground floor of a split-level house with only south- and east-facing windows!

·
Banned
112 Posts
At the moment I own 3 Atomics and they don´t sync while near the window. But when in the back of my room and in their box they sync every night. I think the atomic signal is bouncing around or sort of has its focus there. The best thing ... two of them are analog and when the box lid is closed they sort of go into batt saving mode. When I open the lid they start to come to live and even the seconds hands are in sync. Kind of satisfying ;)

·
Premium Member
14,575 Posts
As you can see, your worries are unfounded. I've said this before, mine are on a lower shelf, down by my desk at knee level, they face East to the Atlantic Ocean and sync almost nightly with no issue and I am in the middle of South Carolina.

Thanks, I was worried about no window.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts
Thanks, I was worried about no window.
Whether the radio signal is strong enough to be caught by your watch really depends on your location and the kind of building you are in. Some guys with window apts in NYC have a heck of a time getting a signal no matter where the watch is stored. The only way to tell if your watch will work from an inside location is to try it. Even if the window is not west facing it presents the least obstruction and may end up being a good location to store the watch. The best opportunity for catching a signal it will be in the early morning so be sure to have it resting in one place overnight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From experience with my PRW-1300 and GPW-1000 , I can tell you that radio signals travel deep inside your house. I found a deep (in the house) bathroom where if I put the watches up on the Shower shelves, they both sync fine, but if I put them next to the sink, they don't.

I reckon it's a hit n miss until you find a location that works.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live all the way south from you (Central Florida) and my atomic's sync every night while I sleep (my bed is near a north-facing window).

For the life of my, I can't get any of them to manually sync during the day. Like someone else said, I guess the signal is stronger at night time.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
For the life of my, I can't get any of them to manually sync during the day. Like someone else said, I guess the signal is stronger at night time.
The signal isn't actually any stronger at night, but it travels farther. The radio signals transmitted by the atomic clock transmitters are a lot like AM radio waves and "bounce" off the Earth's ionosphere, which is much calmer at night.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To sync at night, does the watch have to be on or near a window or can you be wearing it? I sleep with a watch on all the time.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
To sync at night, does the watch have to be on or near a window or can you be wearing it? I sleep with a watch on all the time.
No, it doesn't have to be on or near a window -- in fact, many WUS members report BETTER reception when the watch is on their wrist overnight because of the way the human body can act as (or amplify) a radio antenna.

All nine of my atomic watches synch every night here in Ohio, whether they're on a dresser across the room from a west-facing window, or on my arm as I sleep underneath a south-facing window. Obviously, the "best reception" will depend on one's range from the transmitter -- someone in Colorado might be able to get a synch with their watch in a metal box in their basement, while someone in Nova Scotia MIGHT have to put their watch near a window.

The radio signals are essentially AM radio waves -- but back when people listened to AM radio, did we have to put the radio on the windowsill? :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm in southern Indiana and all four of my wave ceptors synch every night setting on a dresser in my bedroom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whether the radio signal is strong enough to be caught by your watch really depends on your location and the kind of building you are in. Some guys with window apts in NYC have a heck of a time getting a signal no matter where the watch is stored. The only way to tell if your watch will work from an inside location is to try it. Even if the window is not west facing it presents the least obstruction and may end up being a good location to store the watch. The best opportunity for catching a signal it will be in the early morning so be sure to have it resting in one place overnight.
+1. My Citizen atomic syncs from a south facing window at my gf's Toronto suburban home. But it does not sync in my North facing condo unit in downtown Toronto (the unit is also on the east side of the building). However, I can occassionally get it do a manual sync after midnight from my balcony (with the sensor pointed south/west back into my condo!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts