WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a helluva time getting my atomic G's to sync... anyone else from the SF Bay Area have the same issue?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I think it is seasonal and the rotation of the earth during seasonal changes that affects atomic clock synchronize the most. Also, the weather, but I've had at least 1 solar atomic Casio G-Shock synchronize in any weather.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I just checked my solar atomic Casio G-Shocks. I have 3 of them. So, I have at least 3 different ways that all my watches can synchronize with the atomic clock at least once a night. Last night only 1 synchronized with the atomic clock. Tonight, only 1 synchronized with the atomic clock, but a different watch. I live on the east coast.

Reactions: banderor

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I am having a helluva time getting my atomic G's to sync... anyone else from the SF Bay Area have the same issue?
Well you've heard the solution - you need to get a whole collection of atomic G Shocks so you can compare & contrast... :-!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Well you've heard the solution - you need to get a whole collection of atomic G Shocks so you can compare & contrast... :-!
Exactly mate. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's probably too much radio interference in the Silicon Valley... looking at my GW-5000, the last time it synced was 5/29 of this year. Amazingly, it's only 7-seconds off. =]

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
There's probably too much radio interference in the Silicon Valley... looking at my GW-5000, the last time it synced was 5/29 of this year. Amazingly, it's only 7-seconds off. =]
Yeah, that is cool in itself. I don't know if this might work for you, but the signal any atomic watch gets is a broadcast signal on a frequency which is the same frequency on any shortwave radio, but just the non-audible side of the frequency. Sometimes, you can boost the signal by sticking a shortwave radio next to a metal object. Do you own a cast iron radiator? Stick your watch on it a few nights in a row, and see if that might work for you. Also, make sure your local time setting is on California time too.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
when I was at silicon valley, I had problems too, most of my Gs synced once every two weeks or something, and it depends on what model the G is also

wear it when you go to bed

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I'm in San Mateo and all 5 of mine sync everyday like clock work. But do not sync in different parts of the house.

Best thing to do is experiment every night, starting with the east facing side of your house (atomic clock is in Colorado), to figure our what is the best spot in your house to receive the signal.

My dad had the same issue with his MTG1000. For years he couldn't get it to sync, until after I gave him the same advice. He found that placing it near his downstairs window in the family room was the best spot. His watch syncs every night now.

Good luck in finding the sweet spot in your home.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm from East Bay too. Lately, I have to take out my Atomic G-Shocks after midnight to sync them.

Especially finicky is my GW-530A which has to be aligned 229 degrees southwest to properly sync.

·
Registered
193 Posts
East Bay here as well, maybe 15mins outside SF, I have 4 atomics and all 4 synced yesterday.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the South Bay, my 5 Atomic G-shock's will sync about 60% of the time, it all depends on where they are located inside the house. Outdoors a forced sync will work about 70% of the time. I also have a Citizen that exhibits similar behavior so it's probably due to the background RF interference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in Napa and mine syncs every morning around 4 or 5am.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was also having problems syncing my atomic g-shock before.. I tried to put it on our bedroom window, living room window, dining table, kids bedroom window, etc. It was by accident that I discovered the 'sweet spot' and that was when I accidentally left my watch on my son's bed. When I found it next morning, I was surprised that it sync'ed. So now my g-shock syncs at around 1am everytime I leave it on my son's bed at night.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that is cool in itself. I don't know if this might work for you, but the signal any atomic watch gets is a broadcast signal on a frequency which is the same frequency on any shortwave radio, but just the non-audible side of the frequency. Sometimes, you can boost the signal by sticking a shortwave radio next to a metal object. Do you own a cast iron radiator? Stick your watch on it a few nights in a row, and see if that might work for you. Also, make sure your local time setting is on California time too.
Thanks for your suggestions everybody! After reading this post about boosting the signal by placing the watch next to a metal object, I placed my watches on top of a metal child/pet gate in the living room and BAM... they synched! Right away they showed level "3" for the signal and moments later, perfect synchronization. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts