WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I will be in Africa this winter. I have two questions:

1. Would I be able to pick up a worldwide Casio atomic time broadcast in east Africa?

2. If I get an atomic watch, would it still keep time without the reception, or does it require a reception?

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I believe the closest transmitter to east Africa is in China....that's pretty iffy. The watch will keep good time without the transmitter update. Most of the G-Shocks are good to plus or minus 15 seconds/month. They will keep that accuracy without an update. With an update, they are just kept on supposedly the most accurate time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got a G9000, which is not atomic or solar. I believe the newest one has both. You can probably find a thread with that info or just Google Mudman and check out the different versions. I have a couple of atomic and solar. The solar is a great function but I could do without the atomic. I live in Colorado within 100 miles of a transmitter but I read alot of threads about those around the world who sometimes are able to get a signal and sometimes not.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. The black and gold that I want does not have atomic, but the Japanese version does. However it is twice the cost lol. So I do not think I need it that badly. Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Hi,
I will be in Africa this winter. I have two questions:

1. Would I be able to pick up a worldwide Casio atomic time broadcast in east Africa?
Maybe under extremely beneficial weather conditions on a very sporadic basis, but generally no.

2. If I get an atomic watch, would it still keep time without the reception, or does it require a reception?
The watch will run normally, just like any other quartz watch, no worries here.

On a personal note: Depending how far away you are from civilisation (a computer with internet access), it is a very good idea to bring a handheld GPS anyway. In this case you will always have the exact time which you can use for your watch as reference.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts