WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’ve just purchased a new bezel and band for my GW-9200 Riseman. How should I go about securing the sensor decal over the sensor, I’ve read that double sided tape is OK, but surely that wouldn’t be very strong, especially if it gets wet. Would superglue damage the resin at all? Does anyone know what Casio themselves use?

Also, is anyone aware of any gotchas to look out for when taking it apart?

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Superglue (cyanoacrylate) in theory works well but is not very resistant to moisture and heat, that's why Casio doesn't use it.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
just a little tiny bit of superglue, or it will be a mess

·
Registered
19,650 Posts
I see, cheers, any idea what Casio do use?

I think they use a double-sized tape, with a special formula to make it resistant to -10/+60°C temperature range.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
When I did my G-9200MS-1 conversion, I had to remove the sensor plaque/sticker. I just peeled it off and "reglued" it back in place, and it looked more like regular glue then adhesive tape.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
When I did my G-9200MS-1 conversion, I had to remove the sensor plaque/sticker. I just peeled it off and "reglued" it back in place, and it looked more like regular glue then adhesive tape.
How are you able to put it back on the shiny silver metal sensor without accidently cringling it or ripping it? The sticker is so small that it looks like it's very hard to put on the metal sensor. I would think that you would be able to "see" the glue if you were to put glue on it.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
How are you able to put it back on the shiny silver metal sensor without accidently cringling it or ripping it? The sticker is so small that it looks like it's very hard to put on the metal sensor. I would think that you would be able to "see" the glue if you were to put glue on it.

It is not a sticker, it is a hard piece of metal. If you put a VERY small dab of superglue on the back of it, no glue will show on the sides

·
Registered
19,650 Posts
The sticker is so small that it looks like it's very hard to put on the metal sensor.

No it's not about metal sensor, you just put the sticker on the plastic part of the bezel.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
It is not a sticker, it is a hard piece of metal. If you put a VERY small dab of superglue on the back of it, no glue will show on the sides
Oh ok, I see. The piece of metal has the word "SENSOR" written on it and it's that piece of metal which glues on to the watch. Is that correct?
ALSO, does that piece of metal which I'm talking about glue on to the plastic resin watch case or only to the exterior resin covering that's screwed on to the resin watch case?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Oh ok, I see. The piece of metal has the word "SENSOR" written on it and it's that piece of metal which glues on to the watch. Is that correct?
ALSO, does that piece of metal which I'm talking about glue on to the plastic resin watch case or only to the exterior resin covering that's screwed on to the resin watch case?
Yes, that is correct. It glues to the resin outer bezel, NOT the underlying plastic case

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
And being a metal plaque, it becomes a good candidate for superglue - but if you do use superglue, be careful if you're going to use it underwater a lot.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
And being a metal plaque, it becomes a good candidate for superglue - but if you do use superglue, be careful if you're going to use it underwater a lot.
Is using the watch in salt water in the ocean or in fresh water like in a pool going cause the superglue underneath the curved metal SENSOR plate to "unstick" itself and to cause the metal SENSOR plate to fall off the exterior resin case?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Is using the watch in salt water in the ocean or in fresh water like in a pool going cause the superglue underneath the curved metal SENSOR plate to "unstick" itself and to cause the metal SENSOR plate to fall off the exterior resin case?
Not likely, but it is possible. Like I said, I had mine submerged in boiling water for quite a while and it is still stuck on. I had another riseman that I wore with NO adhesive whatsoever on the sensor tab and it never fell off. It is in a little hole and it fits perfectly in the hole, so it is not likely to come out on its own. I think I remember hearing one story of someone losing the tab, but that's one story out of all the riseman owners on WUS

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
In theory cyanoacrylate adhesives don't fare very well in high temperatures or high humidity (though work well in salt water). But kung pointed out something I forgot to say: in reality the plaque is jammed in over the sensor, with the bezel going over it. So even if the glue fails, you still have the plaque physically trapped there. In fact, maybe* the adhesive is only used to make it easier to put the sensor together, because the factory glue is pretty weak.
*: Obviously this is just speculation on my part.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I didn't know that the bezel covers "over" the sensor. I thought that the plaque "snaps" into place in the slot on the bezel and that the bezel doesn't cover it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts