WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been lurking for a little while admiring everyone’s Casios and decided to find a basketcase watch that some would think is even borderline as a parts watch.

It’s obviously had a hard life by the amount of scratches it has. Still has original bezel screws and is quite clean inside. Buttons are mashed and will need to be replaced.
I thought I’d attack the crystal first after seeing some threads on WUS.
I think it’s coming up a treat.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
I’ve been lurking for a little while admiring everyone’s Casios and decided to find a basketcase watch that some would think is even borderline as a parts watch.

It’s obviously had a hard life by the amount of scratches it has. Still has original bezel screws and is quite clean inside. Buttons are mashed and will need to be replaced.
I thought I’d attack the crystal first after seeing some threads on WUS.
I think it’s coming up a treat.

View attachment 16088933 View attachment 16088936 View attachment 16088939
Wow! What a transformation

In regards to the buttons, if you use a cloth of some sort under a pair of small pliers they will easily bend back straight. I've done it numerous times.

Just do it slowly and gently, no sharp, quick movements and you should be fine.

You haven't said if the bezel screws came out, or if you tried? Be VERY careful if they seem like they won't move, they are well known for seizing to the case and will snap with only a little too much pressure.

Keep us updated with this one

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SM. About 8 hours of hand polishing as I was too scared to use the dremel after reading that heat generated could delaminate the graphic.
Buttons are quite gummy so I think I will need to remove and clean at a minimum. I’ll see if I can straighten them as you say.

I haven’t tried to remove the bezel screws as I would be ok to leave them and just lift the bezel over them in place but one does seem bent. I haven’t even tried to turn one yet. I think some penetrating oil overnight first before I try them?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks SM. About 8 hours of hand polishing as I was too scared to use the dremel after reading that heat generated could delaminate the graphic.
Buttons are quite gummy so I think I will need to remove and clean at a minimum. I’ll see if I can straighten them as you say.

I haven’t tried to remove the bezel screws as I would be ok to leave them and just lift the bezel over them in place but one does seem bent. I haven’t even tried to turn one yet. I think some penetrating oil overnight first before I try them?

View attachment 16088961
I heated the screws on mine (and several others) with 100% success, no pressure, took my time, plenty of caution

edit, just noticed yours are a bit bent as you mentioned, maybe leave them

·
Registered
952 Posts
That crystal turned out amazing! Where did you source the polish compound? Did you use just the one compound or multiple grades?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
module still works?
great work there, please keep us posted !!!

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts

View attachment 16088961
Looking at how bent it seems I would definitely leave well alone!

BTW - Original straps can still be had easily, they just all seem to have the gold buckles. Very easy to put the original silver buckle on though, (if you have the old strap that is).

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
It’s obviously had a hard life by the amount of scratches it has.
I'll say. I often wonder what the hell people do with their watches. Especially with one like this that cost a pretty penny for a Casio back in the early '80s. Sure, it's old, but how'd it find its way into a rock tumbler?

Anyway, great work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That crystal turned out amazing! Where did you source the polish compound? Did you use just the one compound or multiple grades?
I just bought a 50ml premix off a local eBay seller called Polish Up for $3. I feel like I’ve used heaps in the hours of polishing but I doubt I’ve used half the bottle. A little bit goes a long way.

I heated the screws on mine (and several others) with 100% success, no pressure, took my time, plenty of caution

edit, just noticed yours are a bit bent as you mentioned, maybe leave them
Yes I think it might be best to leave them for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at how bent it seems I would definitely leave well alone!

BTW - Original straps can still be had easily, they just all seem to have the gold buckles. Very easy to put the original silver buckle on though, (if you have the old strap that is).
I managed to find a NOS silver buckle strap for the 5000c so pleased about that

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
module still works?
great work there, please keep us posted !!!
Just tried a new battery and it’s not looking good. Did the battery short thing a couple of times too.
Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Might need to start searching for a donor with a 240 module. Sigh.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just tried a new battery and it’s not looking good. Did the battery short thing a couple of times too.
Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Might need to start searching for a donor with a 240 module. Sigh.

View attachment 16090262
Contact points between the circuit board and lcd are dirty/oxidized. Take it apart and clean the contacts with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and then isopropyl alcohol. If the oxidation is really bad a rubber pencil eraser works well then follow that with isopropyl on a cotton swab.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Contact points between the circuit board and lcd are dirty/oxidized. Take it apart and clean the contacts with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and then isopropyl alcohol. If the oxidation is really bad a rubber pencil eraser works well then follow that with isopropyl on a cotton swab.
ok great! many thanks!! thanks for some guidance here. I can definitely do those things as I have all of the above items. I will post my results after I have a go at it.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
ok great! many thanks!! thanks for some guidance here. I can definitely do those things as I have all of the above items. I will post my results after I have a go at it.
I was going to say the contact strips as well. That's normally what causes missing segments of the display.

I've not stripped one of these but it looks similar to the DW-6600, (which I have more than once). You should be able to take off the LCD by unscrewing the two metal strips you see in your photo.

If it is like the 6600, there should be a very thin rubber strip stuck on under each metal piece. Don't take them off as they're used to keep the LCD pushed down onto the contact strips. I found this out after I removed one on a 6600 and lost the display!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I took it apart and gave it a clean with electrical cleaning solvent. It actually wasn’t too bad in there. Put it back together and it’s better but not fixed. after a bit of prodding it seems to work properly and it’s to do with the pressure on the lower screen bracket. Not sure how I will remedy this. Will have a think 🤔

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I can tell there is a thin strip of dried glue on the top and bottom of the lcd screen. Some of this has deteriorated and worn off. By adding a bit of thickness under the bracket I can re-increase the pressure slightly which is enough to get the screen displaying properly. What would be the correct tape/glue to put here?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ok so I took it apart and gave it a clean with electrical cleaning solvent. It actually wasn’t too bad in there. Put it back together and it’s better but not fixed. after a bit of prodding it seems to work properly and it’s to do with the pressure on the lower screen bracket. Not sure how I will remedy this. Will have a think

View attachment 16092440 View attachment 16092441
View attachment 16092442 View attachment 16092444 View attachment 16092446
Still a contact issue. Either more cleaning or the strip may have lost some of its elasticity. Maybe add a layer of tape or two to build up the pressure on the contact a little.
Positive progress either way.

·
Registered
952 Posts
From what I can tell there is a thin strip of dried glue on the top and bottom of the lcd screen. Some of this has deteriorated and worn off. By adding a bit of thickness under the bracket I can re-increase the pressure slightly which is enough to get the screen displaying properly. What would be the correct tape/glue to put here? View attachment 16092459
Some used to have a thin foam strip in there, that maybe what has happened, it deteriorated. You are on the right track bud.
I'd probably use vinyl electrical tape trimmed to fit with razor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some used to have a thin foam strip in there, that maybe what has happened, it deteriorated. You are on the right track bud.
I'd probably use vinyl electrical tape trimmed to fit with razor.
Ok great, I think the tape sounds like the way to go. I’ll have a go at that tonight. Thanks again for your help. I really wasn’t expecting this module to live after seeing how rough the watch had been treated.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts