WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
While I’m at it, does anyone have a junker dw5xxx that might have suitable buttons I could transplant into my 5000C-Lazarus? Happy to pay. I bought a beat up 5400 but now I think I will try to save it too. I’m such a sucker for needy projects of anything. You should see my garage…

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
From what I can tell there is a thin strip of dried glue on the top and bottom of the lcd screen. Some of this has deteriorated and worn off. By adding a bit of thickness under the bracket I can re-increase the pressure slightly which is enough to get the screen displaying properly. What would be the correct tape/glue to put here? View attachment 16092459
Yeah, so the same as what's on the 6600 then. Maybe some tape like has been suggested?

It will have to be very narrow though!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
I really wasn’t expecting this module to live after seeing how rough the watch had been treated.
These old beauties are pretty bomb proof! I've actually never had one that didn't work with a new battery

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
On a close inspection of the buttons, I will replace them. Sure I could straighten them a bit but they have been mashed. One is missing completely, and the other three are quite gummed up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'll say. I often wonder what the hell people do with their watches. Especially with one like this that cost a pretty penny for a Casio back in the early '80s. Sure, it's old, but how'd it find its way into a rock tumbler?

Anyway, great work.
I wonder if the battery died and then it got tossed in a junk drawer for a few years (the domestic equivalent of a rock tumbler!)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I cut a very narrow slither of electrical tape and it did the job! View attachment 16092897
Very nice job you have done with this beautiful watch 🌞
When i first saw your pictures in post #1 and #3, i was sure the watch had marks from the alarm-spring , and that you would not show us, since that area on the watch was not showing...
Happily post #24 showing us that there was no marks at all. 🌞
Good luck with changing the pushbuttons. -Take your time and be careful.
Really nice work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
When i first saw your pictures in post #1 and #3, i was sure the watch had marks from the alarm-spring , and that you would not show us, since that area on the watch was not showing...
Which part gets marks from the alarm spring? Hadn’t heard of it this issue. Keen to take a closer look at mine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Which part gets marks from the alarm spring? Hadn’t heard of it this issue. Keen to take a closer look at mine.
The alarm-spring can make marks on the silk-print inside the crystal.
Especially if the module have been taken out, and not seated correct when putting it back.
If the module is not in line when seated, do not turn it, but remove it and try one more time.
The picture shows how it looks from the outside when the alarm-spring have made marks on the inside.
-Some people, included myself, use a bit of carbon-tape to protect the inside. (Second picture).

Automotive tire Tire Rim Motor vehicle Audio equipment

Watch Analog watch Camera accessory Automotive lighting Camera lens

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok wow, that’s great information. I was turning to adjust the alignment of the module. I won’t do that anymore!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hmm, I feel there is a market for selling small quantities of carbon tape. Smallest length I can find is 20 meters. That’s a lot of watches!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hmm, I feel there is a market for selling small quantities of carbon tape. Smallest length I can find is 20 meters. That’s a lot of watches!
Wow, how'd I miss this thread! Good work on the crystal and sourcing the buttons. I know what you mean about the carbon tape, I gave up buying a roll since both my 5600cs cost less than the roll of tape! If you do get one, I'd be happy to buy some pieces off you.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
One thing i was curious about before doing the SEM tape (carbon tape) mod was, what happens to the graphics on the crystal if i have to remove the tape? Does removing the tape cause delamination too?

·
Registered
293 Posts
One thing i was curious about before doing the SEM tape (carbon tape) mod was, what happens to the graphics on the crystal if i have to remove the tape? Does removing the tape cause delamination too?
I have had the same thoughts.
A few times the carbon-tape have set wrong, touching the metal on the side of the watch.
I then had to "roll" the tape off gently.
-It sticks very easy, but it have been ok to removed at once.
However, when i have done this, the watches have been ok with no de-lamination before the carbon-tape.

I have seen inside of crystal with just marks, but also watches with really bad de-lamination, where the silk print almost loose contact with the crystal.
I guess there will always be a risk to remove carbon-tape where there is de-lamination.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have applied, removed, and then re-applied double sided carbon tape to the inside of a few vintage stainless steel square cases. As long as no tools scrape the underside of the crystal graphics, removing the double sided carbon tape should not damage the crystal. It is the pointed edge of the alarm spring that scrapes the crystal graphics that creates the dreaded delamination bubbles. The double sided carbon tape I have is ever so slightly spongey. It is easily removed using a tool like a flat-edged tweezer. Also, the tape is not exceptionally sticky, so it does not take any of the graphics with it when removed.

@aussie105 great job restoring this piece so far! This is a wonderful thread to follow. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
All Square all the time. (Almost)
772 Posts
This looks like a lot of fun. If you get to a complete working “C”,.. that would be really rewarding. The only thing that would bother me is if I couldn’t source a new resin set.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts