Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys out there,

Just a short warning to you all:
I bought a Airman 7 in August and after 2 weeks I took it to a swimming pool, about 2 meters deep and: It ran full of water.:-(

So I phoned to the german dealer, explained and shipped it for repairs. (on my expenses). It came back, assorted with some spares they changed under warranty on Tuesday and Wednesday I took it to the local swimming pool with the kids, having been assured it is 8ATM waterproof.
And guess what happened: after 10 minutes of swimming with my kids, the watch was filled with water again. <|

So the next day I personally went to see the german distributer and gave the watch back. He explained that he could not understand this, he had tested it and found it OK. He even asked whether the crown has been pushed in (stupid question I guess, because who would pull out or unscrew the crown before going to swim ???).
Anyway he said he will now ship it to Switzerland for repair.
So I got it back a few days ago with a kind of pro-forma invoice mentioning a lot of works which were done and the corresponding prices for this work.

The paper ended with the wording: THE WATCH HAS BEEN REPAIRED AND TESTED BY US AND IS IN ORDER. ANY ADDITIONAL DAMAGE DUE TO WATER WILL NOT BE COVERED ANYMORE BY WARRANTY :-s:-s

Based on this I phoned Switzerland today and I was explained:
(as a summary) Yes the watch is cerified 8ATM but has no crown which is screwed and is therefore fragile to water. I should therefore better not were it whilst swimming :oops:

Anyway, I would certainly have a watch like the Sinn UX which is more appropriate in the water. My question why it is then sold with a rubber bracelet was not answered and I was confirmed: YOU SHOULD NOT WEAR THIS WATCH WHILST SWIMMING. My remark on the 80 meters was never answered, nor was I explained, despite my explicit question, what should happen if I would go in the water again with it and it would fail.

I was just told: We have spent a lot of money to repair your watch by changing the 3 movements and all the inside.
(what is more inside then 3 movements ???)

So guys, careful if you deal with Glycine, it was my first and will remain my only glycine watch.
Despite the watch I like very much, this is mainly caused by the arrogant service.

(for a pic see enclosed)

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not a great advert for customer service!
As a rule I only wear 200m+ watches for swimming. I don't take the pressure rating on watches too literally! For example I wouldn't take either of my Speedmasters swimming even though they are techically rated to 30m & 50m.

Still a very poor showing on Glycine's behalf though!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I am sorry to read this, but I don't think it's Glycine's fault. Going swimming in an Airman 7 with a 5ATM (Not 8ATM as you stated) water resistance is not a clever thing to do in my opinion.

Water resistance is determined under controlled conditions a fact not often appreciated by watch buyers. Personally I wouldn't swim in anything less than a 10ATM water resistant watch, a 5ATM watch is only good for an occasional soaking. Non-screw down crowns (as Glycine stated) also represent a significant risk and on the Airman 7 you have three of them!

Just because the watch has a rubber strap doesn't mean it's suitable for swimming!

If you hunt around on the Internet you will find a lot of information on this subject here's one guide I found:

Water Resistant to 30m/3ATM/98ft
Will withstand accidental splashing, but NOT suitable for swimming.

Water Resistant to 50m/5ATM/164ft
Light swimming, but NOT suitable for more active swimming, poolside diving, snorkelling or water sports. i.e. not really suitable for the pool.

Water Resistant to 100m/10ATM/328ft
Everyday swimming and snorkelling, but NOT suitable for high board diving or sub aqua diving.

Water Resistant to 200m/20ATM/662ft
Suitable for all high impact water sports and scuba diving at depths NOT requiring helium gas (at these depths it is recommended that a professional diver's watch be purchased).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Having clarified that it's only rated to 50 m certainly makes it unsuitable for swimming. But surely the German dealer and distributor should have realised that fact after the first incident and advised the OP not to try it again?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Having clarified that it's only rated to 50 m certainly makes it unsuitable for swimming. But surely the German dealer and distributor should have realised that fact after the first incident and advised the OP not to try it again?
In my experience the knowledge of most retailers is quite limited. A good retailer would ask the buyer what he wanted to use the watch for or to advise that it isn't suitable for this and that; sadly few retailers do this.

I am only suprised that herboan went back in the water with his 7 :-s

The whole issue of water reistance is one which must have caught many people out and it is an area that the watch industry should do something about.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

What John mentioned is true. Most watches rated 5ATM(50m) and under are not suitable for swimming. I won't consider it for light swimming too. Maybe for shower and washing your hands. Cos swimming involves a watch submerging and that will cause water to go in.

I personally had dealt with Glycine Switzerland and their CS is #1. Long story.

Personally I think that German seller(AD or not AD), I think he did a great CS too and so did Glycine in this case. NOTE: cos most warranties DO NOT COVER if the watch is misused and did not use for the rightful functions within its limited characteristics and features. In this case, I think they had done a great service in accepting the Airman 7 back and repair it.

I am a car salesman. It is like a car....a brand new car comes with warranty for mechanical and electronic parts. I had a client who, I did not know HOW, broke the gearbox! The only cause that is 99.99% possible is that the clutch is not engaged at all or not engaged properly. And that was NOT under warranty! The client went crazy and complained to my HQ. And sure enough, the warranty did not cover due to negligence.

That's just an example. I believe every watch of good brands, or every thing like TV, cameras, electrical appliances,.....etc of branded names, they came with manuals. And usually MOST of the time, they would mention PLEASE READ THE MANUAL before using your purchase. And in some of those sections, I believe it is mentioned what are the things to do and things not to do with it, and also what are the precautions to take and how to take care/maintain the item.

JMO.

·
Registered
661 Posts
So that leaves the obvious question. What does it actually say in the Glycine owners manual about using the Airman 7 in water? Does it clearly state that the watch is unsuitable for swimming? If not, it sounds like it ought to!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys,
I got the message, 8ATM with Glycine is not the same as 1 ATM with SINN.
Pls remember, I am NOT a combat Diver, I went swimming in a Pool at 1,20 meters dept and did not even dive.:-(

But a red Volkswagen Polo with a jumping horse sticker will not become a Ferrari. (I know that now)

Just 2 more things for you:

Attached the very nice note from GLYCINE for you german speakers (pls observe the nice gentle tone) and a remark:

If they replaced the 3 movements, the Bezel, the O rings for 624 Swiss Francs, how the f... do they justify their retail price for the watch.
(this brings the price of the glass, the case and the strap to more then 1500 Swiss Dollars :think:)

Anyway, the last time I was dealt with like this was when I wanted to change a non working watch I got for free together with a happy meal in the restaurant I take my kids from time to time. (the one with the yellow M)

OK, the price of the watch was not the same in this case but probably the value was.

So the order of the watches in my possesion quoted in the footer is right and if ever anybody dealt with SINN and the SINN after sales, you know what I am talking about.

So guys, see you in the SINN forum, because: NEVER CHANGE A WINNING TEAM:thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Glycine don't include much in the way of instructions with their watches, and to be honest I don't think I have ever taken the time to read one anyway! :)

Has anyone got current Glycine instructions? If so what does it say about swimming?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Ok guys,
I got the message, 8ATM with Glycine is not the same as 1 ATM with SINN.
Pls remember, I am NOT a combat Diver, I went swimming in a Pool at 1,20 meters dept and did not even dive.:-(

But a red Volkswagen Polo with a jumping horse sticker will not become a Ferrari. (I know that now)

Just 2 more things for you:

Attached the very nice note from GLYCINE for you german speakers (pls observe the nice gentle tone) and a remark:

If they replaced the 3 movements, the Bezel, the O rings for 624 Swiss Francs, how the f... do they justify their retail price for the watch.
(this brings the price of the glass, the case and the strap to more then 1500 Swiss Dollars :think:)

Anyway, the last time I was dealt with like this was when I wanted to change a non working watch I got for free together with a happy meal in the restaurant I take my kids from time to time. (the one with the yellow M)

OK, the price of the watch was not the same in this case but probably the value was.

So the order of the watches in my possesion quoted in the footer is right and if ever anybody dealt with SINN and the SINN after sales, you know what I am talking about.

So guys, see you in the SINN forum, because: NEVER CHANGE A WINNING TEAM:thanks

You have had a bad experience which, in my opinion, is largely your fault. To go swimming in a watch like an Airman 7 is nonsensical, it is the kind of mistake a novice would make. At 5ATM you don't need to be a combat diver all you need is one of your three crowns not seated correctly and you have water ingress even in a 1.2m pool.

As for the argument about how Glycine justify the price of the watch, this is the same tired argument that I see time and time again. There is much more to the cost of a watch than the component parts, I think their charges are very reasonable indeed.

My experience of Glycine customer service has been first class and to be honest I don't see what they have done wrong in your case. Seems to me they have been more than reasonable.

And if Sinn do have a 1ATM resistant watch (and I doubt they have in their current range) I wouldn't advise swimming in that either !! :-d

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, if you think it was largely my fault, I can live with this but still the "nice gentle tone and the wording" in the document remain.
So if they think that I am a ful blown idiot who pulls out crowns in order to flood his watch, I can live with this but I just wanted to warn others not to commit the same mistake.
And on top of this you should have heard the girlie I had on the phone.
Anyway, thks for the remarks but now I have to unscrew the crowns of my sinns and jump into the toilet bowl ;-))
By the way, check out the regulator re water-resistance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.