WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to these forums, I am a very minor watch collector I have not had anything of note (until this past weekend). My Grandmother recently passed away. Going through the house my family came across the above watch. It was immediatly given to me because they all know I enjoy my watches and I almost lost my mind. I do not know much about these watches other than vintage Heuers are a very good find. The watch is is very nice condition despite the horrible picture. the movement is perfect and holds perfect time to the best of my knowleadge. The only issue that I can see other than the horrible old (from what I can tell original) leather band. Is that the chronograph hand is off. I have a few questions:

1. How do you calibrate the chrono hand?
2. Where would I go to find a suitable band (preferebly leather) for this watch
3. I am from the Philly area who would be suitable to clean/ service the watch
4. What would be the watches value?
5. Based on the serial number can I look up this watches history? My grandfather was a pilot and I believe he bought the watch new in Europe.

Any help would be very much appreciated. the serial number is 194xxx

IMAG0095.jpg

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Sorry about your Grandpa. I'm not an expert but it looks like he had pretty good taste in watches.

I've purchased a Nomos watch from Govberg Jewelers in Philly. They have a full repair dept and, as far as I know, have a good reputation.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
"Vintage Heuers are a very good find?" They are a truly great find! Beautiful piece, and it's in a great condition as well. Congratulations!
Have a look at this resource on Heuer Autavia watches:
OnTheDash - The definitive guide to Heuer

I'd leave the calibration of the chrono hand to a watchmaker- yes, you're going to need to have it serviced as you've said, so let the watchmaker do the work.
A strap is a really easy thing to get- for an Autavia, I'd recommend a rally-style strap.
You sure can try finding one here: HirschStraps | Hirsch Bracelets by WatchObsession
Or here:Leather, Nylon, NATO Watch Straps - Crown and Buckle
We don't give valuations here, but you can search for completed eBay listings- and since Autavias surface on eBay quite often, I wouldn't be surprised if you find a 2446 among these. That will give you an idea of the value.
I was unable to find a "serial numbers by year" table for Heuer- and I don't know if TAG Heuer provides informations on vintage watches the very same way other companies do or used to do -now it's only Longines, I think. Once Zenith did that too, but when they had an idea to earn some money for simply for taking a stroll to their archives, they made this idea real. Does TAG Heuer do it this way? Dunno.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I will def. check out those sites for the band. Also believe me I will let the pro's handle the calibration. I thought possibly it was like some of my other watches that I could manually calibrate the chronograph. I will check out ebay. I am not interested in selling. I will keep and pass it on to my son, more so would like to have it put on my home owners policy. I am guessing i will need to get an appraisal. I will check out Govbergs.

THANKS

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
It's just a rule here, that we cannot provide valuations. It might indeed be a good idea to have the watch included in your home insurance- if you already have looked on eBay, then you know that vintage Heuer watches are quite costly. It's a heirloom watch to enjoy, and, as you've said, to pass on- Heuer watches of the 1960s and 1970s are quite sporty, but also timeless (looking at many modern watches, there's only a little of them which can be both sporty and timeless).

Reactions: WatchFred

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
fully agree w/ the comments above, quite a valuable piece that seems to be in stellar condition - true family heirloom !

please make sure to have it serviced by somebody with "Vintage Heuer" experience, so no incorrect restoration is suggested or (shudder) done, this needs competent hands.

if you post it onthedash you'll be flooded with buying requests - and know the current market value ;)

edit: just saw you are in the US - you could contact Craig Bergsma chronodeco - Repair and Restoration, not the cheapest, but fair pricing; highly competent.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Nothing "diet" about this piece, a full, burly tool watch. I do feel for you as to how this was acquired, however I bet he would be happy you are taking on ownership and looking to bring this watch back into proper condition.

I second the opinion of Chronodeco's capabilities, he is well known to be bonkers for these particular watches. That is, if you don't mind shipping across the country to him. Wherever you decide, please have the watchmaker snap a couple photos of the movement, just for us caliber aficionados (was going to say nerds, but changed my mind :).

Just a fantastic piece

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the help and Kind words. I look forward to getting the band in a few days and then getting it off to be serviced. (still researching that) I am very affraid of this watch to tell you the truth it holds so much sentimental value as well as monetary value I don't know if I even want to wear it!I'll have to save it for special occasions.

I will post all of the before and after pictures. I am a photographer so I will get some proper detailed shots including asking for a shot of the movement.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Why afraid of wearing it? It was originally intended as a tool watch, so you're probably underestimating it a little bit. I've inherited two Soviet watches from my great-grandfather. Both have dials in excellent condition- they were kept in a drawer for some 25 years after he died. And you know what? I can't even think of not wearing them. And that's because these two are worth more to me than my entire (rather modest) collection. That's my experience with heirloom watches. I guess that we have a different attitude towards watches of sentimental value. My advice? Wear it and enjoy it.

Reactions: nome93 and Mirius

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why afraid of wearing it? It was originally intended as a tool watch, so you're probably underestimating it a little bit. I've inherited two Soviet watches from my great-grandfather. Both have dials in excellent condition- they were kept in a drawer for some 25 years after he died. And you know what? I can't even think of not wearing them. And that's because these two are worth more to me than my entire (rather modest) collection. That's my experience with heirloom watches. I guess that we have a different attitude towards watches of sentimental value. My advice? Wear it and enjoy it.
Thanks... I think its the inital shock of it... Just bought a proper band for it so it will be looking sharp soon enough. Thanks for the advice. It does no justice sitting in my watch box.
:
$(KGrHqF,!ikE7CsY5zNhBPNJYhkcKg~~60_57.JPG

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
That's a really nice band! And, it's got a Heuer buckle... I certainly look forward to seeing the watch after service, with the new strap:)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
any watch you're afraid of wearing isn't worth owning - for me, at least.

re being afraid of sending a watch across the US for service: I and many other collectors are sending their watches across the globe, just to have them serviced by the right, competent watchmaker, depending on movement calibers and brands.

risks of having somebody who does not know what he's doing ruining your watch are incomparably higher than the minimal transport risk.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
any watch you're afraid of wearing isn't worth owning - for me, at least.

re being afraid of sending a watch across the US for service: I and many other collector are sending their watches across the globe, just to have them serviced by the right, competent watchmaker, depending on movement calibers ans brands.

risks of having somebody who does not know what he's doing ruining your watch are incomparably higher than the minimal transport risk.
Id rather leave it as is than send it to somebody who may compromise its condition. I am not worried about shipping so much as mishaps like loosing it or it being stolen. But I agree with the above, its not worth keeping if im not going to use it.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you feel odd about shipping, choose a faster service, say 2nd or 3rd day air. The cost difference is minor, and it gets handled a slightly different way than regular ground. To my eyes that feels more secure. And this is from somebody whose bill from FedEx is about $8,000 per month.

Always ship fully insured, at the replacement cost.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone else have any experience with Govbergs? that is very close to me... They seem very reputable. Looks can be deceiving... As far as appraisal goes to get a rider on my home owners insurance, who is the best to do something like that I dont imagine just any jeweler would be able to properly appraise the value.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got an updated photo... Before the new band is put on and a picture of the band I got for it...

Heuer Band.jpg Autavia Heuer GMT 2446c.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took it out for a test drive today!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts