WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whatever website you are looking at, that sells these horrible "watches", please consider not going there anymore. Or at least not from the seller of these scrap-pile frankenstein pieces
I will give up on eBay then. I am trying to find a nice vintage watch possible a Rolex. Where would be a good recommendation to look for a vintage watch?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,266 Posts
Hmmmm - well, the movement was at least used by Rolex. Fontainemelon Cal. FHF 30 in a Rolex bridge variant, probably only used for the canadian market:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Rolex 59 (FHF 30)

Is the rest of the watch genuine? Can't say, but the inner case back inscription (lacks any reference to W&D or Rolex) does not inspire confidence.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
The movement is authentic (FHF 30 with modified bridges, aka Rolex 59), the dial looks legit. However, the case is not Rolex. This means franken.

·
Premium Member
7,629 Posts
I will give up on eBay then. I am trying to find a nice vintage watch possible a Rolex. Where would be a good recommendation to look for a vintage watch?
eBay is the right place. Rolex is a popular brand, and if you want a decent vintage watch, you are probably going to need to invest approximately $1,000-$1,200 for a bare-bones, manual-winding, entry-level model (note that even these models are all stainless and good quality all around). And it will take some patience and care.

I like Rolex too, so I'm not trying to dissuade you, but if you want to invest less, there are many excellent lesser-known vintage Swiss watches from the 1950s and 1960s (zodiac, mido, certina, tissot, doxa, eterna, movado, cyma, glycine, zenith, etc.) that can be had for less than half the price of the entry-level Rolex.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Canadian market WW2 era "Rolex" watches were often cased in Canada and used id or pioneer watch cases to house the cal. 59 movements. I would say the watch is genuine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts