WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am unsure where this post should go, so if it is in the wrong place feel free to move it.
I was browsing the web, when I came across a vintage Seiko Marvel with a 19 jewel, antishock movement. I'm trying to do my research. I was not in the market for a watch, but this one hit me hard. I also do not own any vintage watches.
The reason I am posting this is because the watch looks too good to be true at the price it is at. It has also been recently serviced. I am beginning to think its fake. I can't find any others with a black face. Should the dial be a white sunburst with applied markers? Should I try to post some pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
marvel3ee.jpg marvel1e.jpg marvel2e.jpg

Reactions: raveen

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Agree you should post in the Seiko forum, and you may want to ask in the Vintage section as well.

FWIW, if it looks too good to be true...It may be a repaint, but I'm only guessing. Remember to "buy the seller"! Good luck.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I'm not a vintage Seiko expert, but I cannot find ANY black dial Marvels ever made. For that matter, I can't find a combination of those hour markers, Marvel script and that movement. BUT the script and markers appear to match perfectly with actual Marvels out there.

I don't know, I'd approach with a healthy dose of skepticism. Hopefully some of the vintage Seiko experts can answer more definitively.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
From what I can tell, this is a major watch refurbisher. They are original parts, but the dial may have been completely redone. It will also have a new aftermarket band (probably a cheap one). I am not sure what they mean by an "overhaul" in the movement. But I think this is a legit watch, just not original in the true sense. The refurbishing work must be worth something, as I imagine it is time consuming. How much value it adds (or detracts) depends on the buyer and what they want to use it for. If you want a nice looking vintage watch to wear, it would probably be a good choice. If you want a vintage collector's item, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies!
I would agree that the dial may have been completely redone. I might try to get it. Although I would like a more formal white face. That's something I don't have.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
wow! it's beautiful! but there's still 2 days left in the bidding

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
That's a Lord Marvel though. Weirdly enough, as I recall, the Lord Marvel is part of the Lordmatic line, which is different than the Marvel line.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
nothing to do with Marvel comics?
:(
That's a Lord Marvel though. Weirdly enough, as I recall, the Lord Marvel is part of the Lordmatic line, which is different than the Marvel line.

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
539 Posts
Never seen SEIKO Marvel with black dial. The blue dial LORD MARVEL 36000 is also a redial IMO.

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You'll have to fight me off! Hehe :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Lost it. Went for $385. Man... Never will see another like it. Gunna haunt me for a looong time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts