WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m in the process of buying this Seamaster watch along with a Rolex Cellini that I’ve created another thread about. The price is of the Omega is around $2000. Seller is based in UK, and has no original box or original papers.

Any way I can tell on the pictures if the watch is real or not? If I get more macro shots from the seller, I will upload them here.

Sitting here in Ireland, how would you go about the vetting process if you can’t meet with the guy directly? Also, if you could in fact meet with him directly? Appreciate your opinions.

/Jonas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
From these pictures it looks real but that said, these photos are horrible. Keep in mind that with Chrono24 you really need to buy the seller. My pet peeve with sellers is when they can't take good pictures. If you're selling a multi-thousand dollar watch, don't you think it'd be important to have pictures taken in good lighting, in focus, etc.? I always pass on watches where the seller just can't provide decent pics. It's 2019. Any smartphone can take decent, in-focus shots in good lighting.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Looks real, but my opinion is not the most educated on fakes.

Reactions: JonAndRas

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Looks battered. Is the lume pip damaged? I would spend a bit more money and get one that has been looked after and has some history. You'll need to spend money on it to have it looking good again anyway. Thats assuming its legit. Its not hard to take a proper photo nowadays. My mother has a £30 phone which would take better photos than that. I wouldnt buy a sandwich from someone who cant take a half decent photo of a watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, thanks for all your answers. Since the seller is not replying me, I have found another 300M from 2016, and both the watch and the guy selling it seem genuine in my opinion. Think that’s the one I will go for - but before I take the final decision, what’s your take? A family member of mine will meet with the guy and trade on my behalf since I am not in the country - anything he should be particularly aware of?

See new pictures.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Jonas

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Certainly looks better but the bracelet is pretty beaten up. Since you don't know the history, you'll need to factor in the price of a service.

Can they arrange to meet a store that sells Omega? Ask them to evaluate it and give you an estimate for a service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Certainly looks better but the bracelet is pretty beaten up. Since you don't know the history, you'll need to factor in the price of a service.

Can they arrange to meet a store that sells Omega? Ask them to evaluate it and give you an estimate for a service.
Good idea, I’ll look into that. Just out of curiosity - in your experience, what would be the price of a ‘standard’ service check of this model of Omega be?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Good idea, I’ll look into that. Just out of curiosity - in your experience, what would be the price of a ‘standard’ service check of this model of Omega be?

It really depends on the dealer. I've had some ask a nominal charge ($20 or so) while others were at no charge.

·
Premium Member
29,462 Posts
Go to your local Swatch group website and look up servicing costs. I am in Australia and the costs for different types of service is published on the website.

Service cost covers standard parts they replace plus labour. So it should be a good guide as to how much it might be.

There’ll also be costs for other parts which may not be in the standard service, so it could be slightly more.

·
Premium Member
29,462 Posts
Since the seller is not replying me, I have found another 300M from 2016, and both the watch and the guy selling it seem genuine in my opinion. Think that’s the one I will go for

See new pictures.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Jonas

This looks a bit better than the first but as @cb1111 has said, factor in cost for a service. Peace of mind I call it. Good luck

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Can I ask how you can be so sure determining just from the pictures?

I own both, pre-ceramic and ceramic SMPs. Once you spend some time with the watch, it is easy to tell whether any part is genuine or not.
Sure there are fake and aftermarket parts, but when it comes to case shape, quality of an insert, or even overall proportions of the watch - real Omega is easy to spot.

Here is what Swatch group will charge you for the service
https://www.omegawatches.com/custom...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service
Pretty sure in your city is an independent watchmaker (certified to work on Omega watches), who may charge less.
Frankly, if you are happy with the watch accuracy - I wouldn't open the 2016 watch yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts