WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, long time lurker first time poster. I recently have been chasing a Seiko Diver Kinetic 200m watch and managed to find one on gumtree (I live in Perth) (REDUCEDTO $250 SEIKO MENS KINETIC DIVE 200M DIVER WATCH | Watches | Gumtree Australia Stirling Area - Dianella). I drove around to the sellers house and had a look at that and a few other watches he had for sale (mostly Seiko). After seeing the same watch at a shop for $700, I've become a little questioning towards the authenticity of his watches. He said he had a friend in Singapore that sends him the watches for a cheap price and he merely sells them to make a small profit for hobby purposes. Some of the watches had boxes, others didn't. The one I was after had no box, no book and obviously no warranty. The hand movement was jumpy because he said it hadn't been worn much and naturally the kinetic battery hadn't been charged. Should alarm bells be ringing or this is a safe sale? I understand this may be hard to tackle without having a photo of his actual watch but I thought I would try my luck here. I would really appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
One way to test is to see if the power reserve function works...I imagine a fake wouldn't have this. You can do this by using the button at 2:00 and following these simple instructions:

• Checking the Power Reserve
    The power reserve indicator function shows how much energy is stored in the watch's capacitor. To check how long the watch can operate on its current charge, wait until the second hand is in the 12 o'clock position
    and press the button at the 2 o'clock position on the watch case. Then use the chart below to determine how much stored energy is indicated by the number of seconds that the second hand moved. The second hand will resume normal operation in 30 seconds or less.
You might also be able to hear the rotor spinning if you shake it close to your ear.

The skipping seconds thing shouldn't alarm you...this is actually what happens when the charge is low, so this is normal if it hasn't been worn in awhile.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
if just for peace of mind sake, then I would recommend passing on this one,

though pricing wise, it's not that big of a deal, $250 on an MSRP of $599 for a used watch is the norm (my opinion, from what I see and experience)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I always find it amusing someone would fake a Seiko. I have seen it a couple of times. Usually out of the middle east. From what I have heard here this sounds like the real thing, can't be 100% without seeing it though. If you have doubt pass. There is always another one out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
425 Posts
Put into the search section on this site both ska371 and skx007 and you'll find much information on both watches. Read all the reviews and opinions there's loads, especially the skx007, a favourite among seiko fans.
Let us know how you get on, if you need any more specific answers, someone will always help on here

·
Registered
237 Posts
A big + 1 for Creation watches to AU, I use them often and they use Fed Ex you will have you watch in 2 - 3 days which is better than buying from the other side of Melbourne sadly......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BLKVTR, I have always found that internal shipping in Australia is slower than international, very frustrating. So I think I've opted for this Seiko Automatic Diver 200m Japan SKX007J3-Oys Watch (the skx007). Now before I overstay my welcome, I have one more question to ask: what is the value of having 21 jewels in a watch? I understand the function of a jewel, but after reading other skx007 threads it appears that not many others have the '21 Jewels' on the watch face of their 007's. Is this model slightly better or worse than the other 007's or is it just a minor aesthetic difference at the end of the day?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would think the 21 Jewel one would have a better movement. I Googled SKX007 and got a link to Ask Men.com. They did an article about the Seiko dive watches (quite favorable I might add), and this is one of the things they said:

"The SKX models, longtime stalwarts of Seiko’s dive line, represent the best of what the Japanese watch giant has to offer. A direct descendant of Seiko’s first dive watch, the SKX series is a 21-jewel self-winding mechanical timepiece designed and built in-house by Seiko."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just bought my SKX007 :). Bought the oyster bracelet, rubber and a Nato band! Can't wait till it arrives, thanks everyone for your patience and advice.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
While I know they exist, I personally have never seen a fake Seiko. I have wondered the streets of China for years and for more hours than I can count, but don't recall seeing a fake Seiko. I have seen thousands of Rolex, Omega, Tag, Movado, Tudor, Bell and Ross, Uboat, Patek, Rado, Tudor, etc. But I do not ever recall seeing a fake Seiko. So, chances are you are fine with most any vendor that appears reputable.

945 Posts
I always find it amusing someone would fake a Seiko. I have seen it a couple of times. Usually out of the middle east. From what I have heard here this sounds like the real thing, can't be 100% without seeing it though. If you have doubt pass. There is always another one out there.
I always find it bemusing someone would find Feikos amusing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright so my Seiko SKX007 just arrived from Creation Watches, and the day wheel is in Arabic.. is this an easy thing to fix or should I return it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And to answer to my own embarassment, I just realised that it was a dual English/Arabic date wheel. What a ****. Stoked on my new watch though, thanks again!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Enjoy your SKX007J, I love mine, got it on now actually at work. You asked earlier about the 21 jewels, both the skx007 and the skx007j have 21 jewels, its just that the j (made in Japan) has it printed on the dial. There are loads of threads dedicated to their differences if you need to know more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts