WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share this experience. Perhaps it will be useful to some considering making a purchase from AuthenticWatches.com.

I own a few expensive watches. For this reason, I have put off buying a Rolex Submariner. Moreover, although there are few watches of interest to me that I cannot afford if I really wanted, I have been hesitant buying on the internet without backup of a credit card. Fortunately, or at least so I thought, the original (or closest approximation) Submariner (14060M) dropped in price at AuthenticWatches to USD 4995 some weeks ago. Thus, I placed an order with a 2-8 week delivery time. After about three weeks, a relative of mine gave me an expensive watch out of the blue. I asked AuthenticWatches if I could cancel the order. They said it would cost me a cancellation fee of the 10% of the purchase price. So I figured no major deal and upheld the order for the Submariner.

Up until this point, all communication had largely taken place by email. A week or so later (one month after placing the order), I get a nebulous message, asking me to contact AutheticWatches about my special order by phone. Nothing really special about the order, as the watch and price was posted on their web site. I ask for something in writing to which I get no reply. Then, I call them and am being informed that they can get me the watch from another dealer for USD 800 more, i.e. USD 5795. I said no thanks, and that if they held me up to an order by asking a 10% cancellation fee (for a watch they clearly did not placean order on), the least they could do was sticking to their original pricing. At this point the conversation went nowhere so we hung up. Immediately afterwards I received an email from AutheticWatches that "we" (?) had agreed to cancel the order.

Now in my world things are either/or, meaning you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you start charging fees if the customer wishes to cancel an order, then you should be equally rigorous with you own policies, and not be able to cancel without consequences when being unable to uphold an agreement. Moreover, wiggling your way out of the transaction over the phone rather than stating the matter clearly in writing suggests to me that AuthenticWatches knows such practices are not quite alright; perhaps legal (I don't know about such matters) but at least poor service to say the very least. Thus, I would caution anyone considering purchasing a watch from authentic watches. Unless the watch is in stock, which applies to few of the expensive ones, the pricing means nothing, beyond that you will be charged 10% of this amount should you desire to cancel anytime after placing an order.

My two cents or yen, since they are worth more at this time. Thank you for your attention.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I had long time ago a similar experience they shipped the watch but was like pre-owned good condition... My worst experience ever they told me the same but on those days the cancellation was like 25% if i remember well.

I reported the issue to my credit card and i got a full refund...do the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A while back I was going to purchase a Longines from them but after talking to a Longines authorized dealer they cautioned me to not do any business with them. I also read other horror stories about them on other forums.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I had a problem with them too last Nov. I was interested in an Ebel and Amazon had the model +tax. I contacted AW and asked if they would match the price since they have a price guarantee banner on their site. They said they couldnt match the price and werent obligated to do so because their warranty was better. Their price guarantee is a joke.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
I briefly considered buying from them about a year ago. When I asked them about references, they referred me to Yahoo's feedback site. Apparently, they did not read it themselves. At least a third of the feedback was negative, with horror stories to make your hair stand on end. Worst, they have a threshold - it was like 2 or3 grand at the time - above which you must pay by bank wire. That's crazy. If you don't use a credit card or PayPal, you have NO recourse if the deal goes south.

If you're considering buying a watch from anyone and they only want a wire transfer rather than CC or PP: caveat emptor. You have been warned.

Rob

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You roll the dice any time you buy from these gray market sites....Always read the small print, ask for references, and check the web or BBB for complaints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems that they charged you for a re-stocking fee even if the watch havent even shipped to you.
For example: If i ordered the wrong watch, if i wish to cancel the order, they would charge you a 10% fee.

Thanks for the heads up.

I hate the "restocking fee". It's just a cash grab. I refuse to deal with companies that have such policies.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I bought a new watch from Authentic Watches last year and was able to pay the entire amount [$4,500+] on my credit card using Paypal. So their policy must have changed. I never deal with wire transfers for the reasons stated earlier.

I have always assumed that when gray market dealers such as Authentic state a delivery time many weeks out that they are assuming that they will be able to secure a particular watch from their usual sources, such as dealers dumping stock and unloading display models, within that timeframe. Obviously, sometimes they don't and have to offer what they consider to be the next-best thing. I prefer not to take that chance.

The watch I bought was in stock and was shipped to me overnight. When I noted that the watch, fully wrapped in plastic as new, had the tiniest of scratches on one side, visible in just the right light, I received a small cash refund. So no complaints here, although I know that the way these dealers operate that foulups are inevitable.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Authentic watches are highly rated by the BBB, and they are a supplier chosen by Amex for their rewards program. Which says something. I was able to pay with a credit card. I just got a new speedy pro from them at a great price - 4 year warranty. The watch arrived overnight (no charge for the shipping) and it was brand new in original packaging as promised. 100% authentic. It's been perfect, it runs a little fast I will probably get it regulated (by them as part of warranty). So I have had a very positive experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" rang true in this situation. I bought what was supposed to be a 2016 Rolex Explorer 214270 and they sent the older pre-2016 model Rolex Explorer 214270. I called to set up a return and was promised a 100% refund because they admittedly sent the older model. Well folks, they actually only refunded 90%, keeping 10%, or $540 plus shipping. I shipped the watch back USPS Registered Mail Insured, at my expense. I would caution anyone thinking of buying from AuthenticWatches.com to think twice and only order if you're sure there's no chance of returning the item, as they will tell you one thing and surely do another. They're very dishonest and they're ridiculously rude.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts