WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in DC, and I own a fly fishing business in Virginia. I have a good relationship with a shop that I've bought some women's jewelry from in the past, and I know them since my business was close by. They're an AD for a few brands and were Rolex dealers before the great purge. I haven't bought a watch from them, but have spent a few thousand $$ there.

A bunch of years back my wife gifted me with a Sub 1680 (black). I have been a fan of the 16613 (Sultan - blue/gold) since I was 15 reading Skin Diver magazine as an aspiring marine biologist and seeing the advertisements. It's one of the greatest gifts I've ever gotten and it was 100% unexpected. I've decided I want to find her an Oyster Perpetual 31 in turquoise - that's her color.

Thing is, I now get to walk into a different AD and make a new relationship. I have the option of a smaller shop with a decent reputation, and Tourneau. I'm not sure how I'll be treated or what to expect but I am not going to be a $10-$20K a year customer. Hell I might not even be an $8K a year customer. I already own a grail watch, and am a fan of vintage, and I'm saving for an Explorer, Speedy 321, and a PAM Radiomir (which I will potentially buy from a trusted watch friend.)

Any advice on my first visit and buying new from an AD? With all the stories about wait lists and first buying a ladies watch to "get in their good graces" I'm not sure what to expect. Do I walk in dressed clean with the vintage Sub to let them know I'm serious, or throw on an old t-shirt and ballcap and wear a CasiOak to show I'm a regular blue collar dude?

Thanks.

* EDIT - clarified a few things. Another plus is it's a new place with lots of toys to look at and maybe fall in love with. Also - I've referred business to the first dealer I had mentioned from my own shop - we sell SEAHOLM watches at my shop. Most folks I would refer to the new AD will already know where to purchase their big ticket watch, but the networking opportunity is there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is it wrong I’m happy to just play with micros and mid tier watches rather than deal with the rubbish of having to foster relationships to buy a product?

Sorry, I’m reasonably new to watches. And the whole current Rolex situation just sounds beyond stupid. It’s actually turned me right off the brand.

·
Registered
108 Posts
nothing wrong with that, but the main problem is that rolex just doesn't meet demand and so there's this whole back and forth game that ADs are doing to sell what little models they have. it's not like rolex is out there telling them to do that (but you can definitely argue that they're fostering it)

·
Registered
14,927 Posts
The whole concept of fostering a relationship to buy a watch makes me so glad I have not been in a watch store in 10 years. It just sounds nauseating to think of the customers and the sellers. Makes me want to go cry in the shower that my beloved watch hobby is such a dysfunctional, materialistic joke.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
Is it wrong I’m happy to just play with micros and mid tier watches rather than deal with the rubbish of having to foster relationships to buy a product?

Sorry, I’m reasonably new to watches. And the whole current Rolex situation just sounds beyond stupid. It’s actually turned me right off the brand.
In normal world it should be other way around. If less people will buy into this foster relationship crap and more like i have money you have product, You want to sell i want to buy let talk deals which make both sides happy. This madness will end. Simple. If for one year million of people invest their money, spend them elsewhere or put them aside for year instead of spending them on Rolex and make sure Rolex knows it.. and ADs know it. By the end of half year period AD/Rolex will accommodate most of demands by the end of year you will be able to walk and just buy.

So far this one sided play and overpaying literally making things worse every year.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
nothing wrong with that, but the main problem is that rolex just doesn't meet demand and so there's this whole back and forth game that ADs are doing to sell what little models they have. it's not like rolex is out there telling them to do that (but you can definitely argue that they're fostering it)
Company can sell direct and put all ADs and all that speculation thing out of business while making customers happy and less humiliated.
They really fostering it like you said.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm in DC, and I own a fly fishing business in Virginia. I have a good relationship with a shop that I've bought some women's jewelry in the past, and I know them since business was close by. They're an AD for a few brands like TAG, Seiko, Tissot, and Shinola, and were Rolex before the great purge. I haven't bought a watch from them, but have spent a few thousand $$ there.

A bunch of years back my wife gifted me with a Sub 1680 (black). I have been a fan of the 16613 (Sultan - blue/gold) since I was 15 reading Skin Diver magazine as an aspiring marine biologist and seeing the advertisements. It's one of the greatest gifts I've ever gotten. I've decided to get her her own Oyster Perpetual 31 in turquoise - that's her color.

Thing is, I now get to walk into a different AD and make a new relationship. I have the option of a smaller shop with a decent reputation, and Tourneau. I'm not sure how I'll be treated or what to expect but I am not going to be a $10-$20K a year customer. Hell I might not even be an $8K a year customer. I already own a grail watch, and am a fan of vintage, and I'm saving for an Explorer, Speedy 321, and a PAM Radiomir (which I will potentially buy from a trusted watch friend.)

Any advice on my first visit and buying new from an AD? With all the stories about wait lists and first buying a ladies watch to "get in their good graces" I'm not sure what to expect. Should I walk in dressed to impress with the Vintage 1680, or throw on an old t-shirt and ballcap and wear a CasiOak?

Thanks.
No thanks for Rolex if i have to beg to see or buy far from high end watch. Come on, have some dignity. There a many other brands with fantastic offerings where you feel like a normal customer of a luxury product. Not like a bum trying to steal something from them, so you beg with money in hand. For what? A dang boring watch everyone thinks is fake. Please.

I a snob world of watch shopping (Rolex ADs are known for this) you would get a better service if you walk in dressed up. I do believe OP 31 in turquoise color isn't in high demand so you'll maybe be lucky to see it somewhere or at least order it. If this was me, i would take my wife on a very nice trip for the money and let her decide herself witch watch she wants (if she even wants a watch).

Reactions: JJ312

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
If for one year million of people invest their money, spend them elsewhere or put them aside for year instead of spending them on Rolex and make sure Rolex knows it.. and ADs know it. By the end of half year period AD/Rolex will accommodate most of demands by the end of year you will be able to walk and just buy.
But that's a very big IF and won't happen in this world any time soon.

Hundreds of millions of people in growing economies around the globe have now reached a level of prosperity where they can consider buying a watch that signals luxury to the general public like no other. An annual production of 1M is a drop in the bucket compared to the demand.

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
A 31mil woman’s watch ain’t gonna be so bad, but if it’s the Tiffany dial OP then that will be.

Ive been on the list since it came out for the 41mil version, and I have a 30 year relationship with the same AD and they have gotten me everything including two Daytonas over the years, but the Tiffany OP just ain’t available, and they don’t BS me as I know them personally.

Reactions: Roningrad

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
This madness will end. Simple. If for one year million of people invest their money, spend them elsewhere or put them aside for year instead of spending them on Rolex and make sure Rolex knows it.. and ADs know it. By the end of half year period AD/Rolex will accommodate most of demands by the end of year you will be able to walk and just buy.
Not a chance in hell. People want the product. They need the product. They gotta have the product. People live for it, and some even die for it. Rolex has become a drug; there are labs, pushers, users, and ultimately, victims.

·
Registered
14,927 Posts
Not a chance in hell. People want the product. They need the product. They gotta have the product. People live for it, and some even die for it. Rolex has become a drug; there are labs, pushers, users, and ultimately, victims.
I hear people on this very forum talk constantly about how masterful Rolex is at marketing, while never acknowledging what it’s done negatively to people and watch communities. I’m not sure if they’re not sharp enough to get it, or if the drug clouds their judgment. I see Rolex as a disaster for horology. It has taken some of the worst possible elements of our trainwreck society and forced it all over the watch world with mind blowing effectiveness.

It’s less of a drug, and more of a malignancy.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I hear people on this very forum talk constantly about how masterful Rolex is at marketing, while never acknowledging what it’s done negatively to people and watch communities. I’m not sure if they’re not sharp enough to get it, or if the drug clouds their judgment. I see Rolex as a disaster for horology. It has taken some of the worst possible elements of our trainwreck society and forced it all over the watch world with mind blowing effectiveness.

It’s less of a drug, and more of a malignancy.
Bear in mind that many people like being infected with this. Empty lives are easily filled with product and brand, and adulation from strangers both online and in a shop is frankly a brilliant stand-in for what we used to call "fulfilment". So AD reacharounds and product-service-brand relationships are just as valid, just as important now as the real connections we used to have, the real things we used to do. Now you just can sit at home in your pants, WhatsApping your pusher, and waiting for that steel to land.

By the by. The OP already has a watch he likes, referred to as a "grail watch", but basically just a watch, as it's easily-obtainable "grail watch" that has obviously made zero dent in the desire for a bunch of other watches that are popular with the "internet community" (blech) if you take an average. It would be daft of me to suggest that the OP just be content with that "grail watch"!

·
Registered
16,938 Posts
Drive up in your Ferrari 288 GTO, park directly in front, throw the first person you see your keys and say "Keep it"...

P.S. Let me know which AD and when so I can make sure I'm there standing by the door...

SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...

·
Premium Member
15,650 Posts
Drive up in your Ferrari 288 GTO, park directly in front, throw the first person you see your keys and say "Keep it"...

P.S. Let me know which AD and when so I can make sure I'm there standing by the door...

SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...
The Rolex AD along ADB Avenue. This coming Monday. 11ish?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
OP asks an honest question for advice on getting a new Rolex for his wife.

Responses so far are 18 to 1 commentaries on the relationship situation vs constructive replies 😆

Edit: You'd probably have better luck posting in the Rolex/Tudor subforum

I'd try the small independent shop first. Maybe wear your vintage sub so they know you're serious. Probably no need to dress up but I'd wear something nicer than flip flops and a t shirt. Be friendly, be yourself, and talk watches for a bit then eventually bring up the possibility of trying to get an OP. I only have an experience with a major chain AD and the SA I've worked with there has been great, respectful and honest but it seems like an independent is less likely to be a jerk or laugh you out of the store. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts