WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
This will probably sound silly but have you considered just walking into the store and asking to see an oyster perpetual?
Yes - every Rolex AD I've walked into has exactly 0 watches on display. They could be holding them in the safe, but probably not.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Yes - every Rolex AD I've walked into has exactly 0 watches on display. They could be holding them in the safe, but probably not.
So then what is the point of your OP and what is it that you hope to accomplish with the new AD? You seem to understand the game how things work with rolex and ADs so your post just seems like a....b*tch?

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
I started my relationship in 1993 when Rolex were an in stock and often discounted watch.

And I have maintained that relationship ever since, with loads of watch purchases, wedding rings, pearls, jewellery, pretty much anything that was sold in there I have bought.

It has paid dividends in that I am able to buy Rolex watches at MRSP from them, with reasonable wait times, although there have been a couple of exceptions.

Got my first Daytona within three months, but the second one took 18.

And I have point blank failed to get a Blue dial Skydweller, which I really think is the hardest Rolex steel watch to buy (Where I live at least)

I have left the “Safety” of my regular AD to try and source one, but the reception I got elsewhere was the one that we all expect, with hoops and jumps to navigate, none of which appealed so I just said politely “Stick it up your arse”

So that is my story of relationship building, no romance, no gifts, just long term custom, the last 15 years dealing with the same person.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So then what is the point of your OP and what is it that you hope to accomplish with the new AD? You seem to understand the game how things work with rolex and ADs so your post just seems like a....b*tch?
Ever go into a restaurant where you have a relationship with the owner/staff and occasionally they stop to chat, learn about who you are and about your life/business/family? Ever have them do something nice for you, like bring you out a dessert you didn't order, or maybe they told everyone that kobe beef burgers were 86'ed, but they saved one for you anyway?

Ever go into a good burger chain, sit down, ear your food, and leave?

I don't like my important shopping relationships to be like a transaction at McDonald's. Car, house, insurance, tailor, watch all the like.

Genuinely interested to know what folks do going into a new watch shop. I've been in my business for 20+ years so I know how it is in this industry. Not *****ing...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Bake some brownies and write a dear AD letter explaining why you should be considered deserving of buying a piece of wildly overpriced jewelry from them. Include family photos for best results.
Absolutely, brownies are the way to go, so much more effective than donuts. Leave out the nuts though, in case the AD has a nut allergy.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
What is wrong with you people? That's only in half jest. Why is it whenever we have these AD relationship discussions it always boils down to bribing and cajoling a deal and having a big enough tab to get access to the next tier? Why can't you people just have a relationship? I have 2 very strong relationships with ADs where I am (the third closed) and reasonably strong relationships with 3 more. None of them I've spent a lot at. I just chat with them as we look at stuff, we share information, shoot the breeze, buy here and there, offer each other fair prices. You can learn a lot of a knowledgable staff member, and if you treat them better than the McDonalds cashier it sounds like a lot of you treat them as, they'll be nice enough to throw in trinkets, call you in for rare watches, offer you first dibs, invite you to brand sponsored functions, invite you to meet the maker, etc.

And if you all think this is BS, I got this watch at MSRP. Prior to that I bought three watches from this AD. All vintage. Totaling maybe 4k. I put my name on the list THREE MONTHS after it was announced. And I got one of two of these watches that was sold in my state. Not at the AD. In the state (I know the other AD). And it's not the only instance of great deals. Just the most blatantly non-toxic relationship that it seems everyone here has with ADs.

Reactions: Black5

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ever go into a restaurant where you have a relationship with the owner/staff and occasionally they stop to chat, learn about who you are and about your life/business/family? Ever have them do something nice for you, like bring you out a dessert you didn't order, or maybe they told everyone that kobe beef burgers were 86'ed, but they saved one for you anyway?

I don't like my important shopping relationships to be like a transaction at McDonald's. Car, house, insurance, tailor, watch all the like.

Genuinely interested to know what folks do going into a new watch shop. I've been in my business for 20+ years so I know how it is in this industry. Not *****ing...
I've never had any of these interactions and none of it sounds terribly appealing. I don't develop relationships with retail establishments, particularly when it comes to watches or cars. I don't buy enough watches to make it worth some special effort at a relationship with the sales person. And for cars, I'm usually all over the place.

Having written that, I'm not a jerk to anyone. But I'm not interested in going out on a date or hanging out on a random Sunday with someone who works at a watch store. As the person you are responding to noted, it sounds like you already know what to do. Why are you asking us? There isn't some secret in the watch world and everyone is different. If you want to be friends with the sales person at a watch store, how do you make friends elsewhere? And when it comes to sales people, the more money you put in their pocket, the more consideration you'll get from them. Chat the sales person up (over time, not just on one visit) and not buy, you'll just be known as a time-waster. When money is the shared element in the relationship, you need to make it worth their while.

I've never had an interest in anything hard to get. I bought my Rolex in the store, with a discount, from someone I never met before. There was no relationship. No donuts. No brownies. No knee pads. No nudes. It was a transaction on a watch they had in stock. Personally, I refuse to play the game of buying a bunch of things I don't really want to be considered for the 1 or 2 pieces I really do want. Best advice: find a sales person you like at a store you like and spend money with that person. But it needs to be enough so the person remembers you. Best advice 2: Don't do any of that and just go around until you find a store willing to do business without the special relationship or buy from the gray market if you can't wait it out.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Wait - this is an option?
I mean with the right sales rep, I'm sure anything is possible. I'm not sure how to navigate that on an initial interaction at a new store. Either way, it seems like a great way to get some type of reaction and be remembered. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

Yes, but I don't beg restaurant owners to give me food. And I would especially not go into the relationship with the expectation of favors. That's asinine.

Re: the tiffany dial OP31, if you're set on it, just get a grey one. If you're not even putting down $10k a year, you're nothing to the AD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Yes, but I don't beg restaurant owners to give me food. And I would especially not go into the relationship with the expectation of favors. That's asinine.

Re: the tiffany dial OP31, if you're set on it, just get a grey one. If you're not even putting down $10k a year, you're nothing to the AD.
It’s not expecting favors - it’s the business caring about the customer.

I ask my good customers about their families. Their kids. Work. Their latest travel. Sometimes I invite them out to try their recently bought gear. Sometimes a new customer gets an invite out to fish private water and has a fun day with us and we get to know them.

Sometimes they recognize us going out of our way to make sure they get taken care of, like driving a late delivery ourselves instead of waiting until Monday.

I have a close friend who is the GM at a steakhouse in Pittsburgh. A long-time customer came in and couldn’t order her usual Bananas Foster as they were 86’ed for the night. She was asked about the meal on her way out and she expressed her disappointment but understood.

Next evening they called her house and made sure she was home and made her and her husband Bananas Foster in their own kitchen.

You recognize good service and reward that by tipping at restaurants. You do that at your dealer by buying a few watches.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, they don’t do that anymore. When new stock comes in, they will call their VIP customers in their wait list to come pick up the watch. These watches are temporary stored in the safe while waiting for the customer to pick them up. Most of the stock would be spoken for within a day or so.

The thing is that social media and Covid played a huge part in the shortage. Due to the Covid, production was slashed down since last year and also because people weren’t travelling as much (travel restrictions), there was a lot of money saved up with nothing to spend on.

Most of us have tens of thousands in fun money saved up from not travelling abroad due to Covid travel restrictions last year. This money usually end up being spent on big ticket items like watches or cars.

Social media played a huge role in the shortage too. You have grey dealers reviewing watches, influencers flexing Rolexes and this cumulates in a lot of people getting FOMO. This drives up sales and desirability up while production numbers remain unchanged (until last year that is).

Even my cousin who is not a WIS is asking me about buying an 18k yellow gold Daytona on Oysterflex.

If you want to get a turquoise OP, forget about building a relationship with any ADs. This is one of the hottest watch out there and is selling for 300% above MSRP in grey dealers.

It’s like you going into a Michelin star restaurant unannounced and expected to be seated on the spot by just being friendly with the person at the door in charge of reservations.

Sorry but it doesn’t work that way as the restaurant seating is fully booked and I don’t think they could even squeeze you in the corner against the wall if they wanted to as the food prepared is just enough for those who made reservations before hand.

Just my two cents from collecting Rolexes and having just recently purchased one for my wife.

Reactions: Zhanming057

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

I just purchased a watch that is worth more than $10k two weeks ago and my AD just said no over the phone in regards to the turquoise OP. I guess it should be more than $10k a year now? :eek:

Reactions: Zhanming057

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It’s not expecting favors - it’s the business caring about the customer.

I ask my good customers about their families. Their kids. Work. Their latest travel. Sometimes I invite them out to try their recently bought gear. Sometimes a new customer gets an invite out to fish private water and has a fun day with us and we get to know them.

Sometimes they recognize us going out of our way to make sure they get taken care of, like driving a late delivery ourselves instead of waiting until Monday.

I have a close friend who is the GM at a steakhouse in Pittsburgh. A long-time customer came in and couldn’t order her usual Bananas Foster as they were 86’ed for the night. She was asked about the meal on her way out and she expressed her disappointment but understood.

Next evening they called her house and made sure she was home and made her and her husband Bananas Foster in their own kitchen.

You recognize good service and reward that by tipping at restaurants. You do that at your dealer by buying a few watches.
Yes, with the small problem of the business caring more about the customers that put down $100k a year.

I have a relationship with my AD. They've only been around for a few years. The top 20 customers get a fancy dinner every year and the manager, who I did a few personal favors for in exchange for beer, is always apologetic about not being able to invite me. But to get on that list you need $250k ish, or roughly $80k per year.

I think that is a good estimate of how much you need to buy to get on the list for a Tiffany ladies OP.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Buy online. Have it next week. Done. End of story. Give a great gift and move on. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
After reading about spending 10k, 100k, 250k, and still hoping to be noticed, get a favor, buy a stupid watch, begging to get into a circle, but there are even richer people not letting you in....i'm just happy not to be part of such a snob show.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Be yourself. They can sniff a poser out from the parking lot. Same way you can probably vet out a fisherman from a poser.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Here's the update that no one wants.

Went into both shops mid-day during a work week to avoid weekend shoppers. Went in without expectations, or any real plan other than to check out the stores and displays.

Tourneau was in a mall. 3 other customers and it was stale but had a good selection. Checked out Tudor and really liked the BB in Burgundy with matching fabric strap. Salesman was nice and told me he has one left that they don't put on display and pulled out a BB 58 steel in was very nice, but I already wear a blue watch most days. Took a look at their certified watches and they had a nice 6-digit Explorer that was never polished and got to try it on. 36mm is just too small for my wrist, and none of the certified watches has original boxes or papers, but I'm glad I got to see it the shop and watches, and met some nice people. Nothing in the Rolex display, and was told they have no idea when anything would be available.

Walked into the smaller shop and was immediately drawn to the plaques explaining the store history and the owners, big names that have graced the shop, and some of the gift items at the front of the store. I saw rows of phenomenal brands, a long jewelry counter, an a separate boutique for just Patek that I could tell was probably appointment only. Casually approached by a sales clerk who couldn't have been more polite and introduced myself, and had a great conversation. Talked about work, about the area, about watches. He showed some of the amazing JLC timepieces and took out a Reverso to show off. He talked so highly I asked what he was wearing and he pulled back his sleeve and showed me a Daytona in gold and said it was a 40th birthday present. I showed my 1680 and he smiled and said he would've preferred mine.

I asked him what watch in the shop was his favorite and he pulled out a JLC Perpetual in pink gold and explained that it was a deal for $34K instead of the Patek version that costs $90K. I believed him =)

I told him about my wife getting me this watch and wanting to return the gift with the OP 31 in turq, but understood the supply issues and was looking for something she might want instead. He was polite about not having one for awhile, but also explained he might be able to do something about that and took my info. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the previous posts, feedback, criticisms, and ball breaking.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts