WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Any advice on my first visit and buying new from an AD? With all the stories about wait lists and first buying a ladies watch to "get in their good graces" I'm not sure what to expect. Do I walk in dressed clean with the vintage Sub to let them know I'm serious, or throw on an old t-shirt and ballcap and wear a CasiOak to show I'm a regular blue collar dude?
Honestly, there is a lot of BS floating around - mostly from people who have no first-hand experience in this and have this cliched image in mind of what is going on, and who double down on the exaggerated nonsense coupled with outrage-fuelled virtue signalling.

Contrary to what people think, the AD DOES want your business. The only sticking point is that they will give higher priority to their more loyal customers - apparently, that sticks in the craw of some folks who think they are just as entitled to hard-to-find stuff as someone who is a long-standing customer.

It is a business transaction - you are a small business owner, and so have been on the other end of this. Go there, look around. Chat with the staff and tell them what you are interested in, and see what they say and take it from there.

Reactions: Black5

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
What do people actually think "forming a relationship" means?

If you go to a bar on a regular basis and the bar-tender knows you and serves you first - that is a relationship. Does that bother anyone? If you have a regular barber or car mechanic that you go to, that's a relationship. Even in corporate circles which are very very numbers/performance oriented, personal relationships go a long way towards helping the transactional side go smoothly.

This isnt rocket science. The dealers get limited watches and obviously would prefer to reward his loyal customers. Why do some people get so offended by that? Is it because of the rude realization that you are in the metaphorical queue to get in, and not the guy for whom the bouncer is moving aside the velvet ropes?

And this casual demeaning of sales people - wtf is up with all that contempt? It's a guy trying to make a living, FFS. Is having a conversation with them about what you are looking for and what can be done THAT difficult? Maybe if we thought of them as peers, instead of someone to crap upon, then we would have less existential angst at being forced to be nice to them.

Worst case - what happens? The AD tells you that they cannot supply you with a watch. So? 2 of the ADs i frequent regularly have told me that i cannot get a Daytona from them unless X/Y/Z. Fair enough, they put their cards on the table and i am ok with that. They still inform me of other releases, invite me to events and work with me to get me other watches at a great price.

Where is this butt hurt coming from, other than some undeserved sense of entitlement? Oh, you have the money and you think that makes you king? Well guess what, bud - the other guy has MORE money and is emperor.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Expect that you’re not going to get it there and then and might most likely be suggested to be on “the waiting list”.
Not trying to burst OP’s bubble. The main problem is that the waiting list for that particular model is quite long. If it’s an Explorer I, he might have an easier time getting one. I know as I was offered an Explorer I together with my wife’s DJ28 purchase recently.

The turquoise dial OP is selling at the same percentage markup as a SS Daytona in the grey market, which probably means that it is that hard to get.

Again. It is just my two cents and probably the ADs in my area don’t like me as much as some of you here. I have been waiting on the Batgirl for a long time now. Been calling them up to chit chat and even buying some watches from them now and then. But no Batgirl in sight.

I heard things are easier to get across the causeway in Singapore but due to the pandemic and the closing of the borders, I have not been able to visit the country. Here in my own country, shelves are empty and there is nothing on sale except for bling Datejust models.

Reactions: Roningrad

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Again. It is just my two cents and probably the ADs in my area don’t like me as much as some of you here. I have been waiting on the Batgirl for a long time now. Been calling them up to chit chat and even buying some watches from them now and then. But no Batgirl in sight.
Ha, yeah, Malaysia is really rough for Rolex and Patek. I have very good relationship with Cortina and Sincere, which is where i have bought virtually all my watches. No luck with a Daytona or a 5711. They are willing to work with me on everything else, including the Zenith I want and a Lange over which I have been vacillating, though.

Reactions: friedricetheman

·
Registered
682 Posts
In normal world it should be other way around. If less people will buy into this foster relationship crap and more like i have money you have product, You want to sell i want to buy let talk deals which make both sides happy. This madness will end. Simple. If for one year million of people invest their money, spend them elsewhere or put them aside for year instead of spending them on Rolex and make sure Rolex knows it.. and ADs know it. By the end of half year period AD/Rolex will accommodate most of demands by the end of year you will be able to walk and just buy.

So far this one sided play and overpaying literally making things worse every year.
I agree with this immensely. I have a relationship with my local AD, but I didn't have to do anything special to foster the relationship. It came to be naturally, and organically. I first engaged with them in 2010 inquiring about purchasing a Rolex for my Dad, and the relationship blossomed because of an attempt to source the newer Rolex Sub that was just released earlier that year and wasn't yet available in their storefront. They were able to do a solid and move one up from another store provided I was willing to put down 50% upfront to show good faith which I was. Didn't overpay the MSRP and didn't have to go through any major hoops or hurdles to come to an agreement other than confirmation over the phone. When I walked in to pick it up, I was coming straight from 3 week of field work and heading home, so I was dressed about as blue-collar as you can get, and they didn't even flinch). Over the last 10 years, I have been through there many times and between myself and my dad, we've purchased several more watches, and several items of jewelry as well. Never have to dress up, never have to make a purchase to curry favor for a future purchase - heck, 2 of the men on the floor make it a habit to swing around if they aren't working with another customer to see what's on my wrist that day and compare with what's on theirs. THAT is how a relationship should be with an AD - not this BS going down these days.....

81 - 86 of 86 Posts