WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Just a quick poll on what you guys think of the sensitivity of the (full) Auto EL on most Gs and Baby Gs. It seems as though that the EL activates even when exposed to pretty bright lighting conditions, such as in a fluorescent-lit room at night (bright enough to read). Albeit only at certain locations/angles. What are your experiences with the sensitivity of the auto EL? Are there watches out there that are less sensitive than the conditions I described? It seems as though this defeats the purpose of the "full" auto EL since it activates pretty much all the time, except under sunlight.

Cheers,
jumbojet

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,324 Posts
Greetings all,

Just a quick poll on what you guys think of the sensitivity of the (full) Auto EL on most Gs and Baby Gs. It seems as though that the EL activates even when exposed to pretty bright lighting conditions, such as in a fluorescent-lit room at night (bright enough to read). Albeit only at certain locations/angles. What are your experiences with the sensitivity of the auto EL? Are there watches out there that are less sensitive than the conditions I described? It seems as though this defeats the purpose of the "full" auto EL since it activates pretty much all the time, except under sunlight.

Cheers,
jumbojet
On the solar Gs the auto EL is connected to the ambient light.
The standard G doesnt know if its bright or dark.
Regarding the auto EL "moving arm" sensor:
I also noticed a lot of auto EL activations i.e. when im biking.
So i generally disable auto EL.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I turn mine on and off when its needed. If you wear a watch while sleeping expect a run down battery/solar charge.

It works well when needed to but is a right royal pain in the behind otherwise.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago talikng about this very subject that will offer more opinions.

Cheers,

Catch22.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Mine all seem about right to me. But, as they are solar, no worries. b-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turn mine on and off when its needed. If you wear a watch while sleeping expect a run down battery/solar charge.

It works well when needed to but is a right royal pain in the behind otherwise.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago talikng about this very subject that will offer more opinions.

Cheers,

Catch22.
I was sort of looking for any of you out there who had solar Gs and enable the Auto EL feature, only to find that the EL activates even in fairly bright ambient lighting. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I was sort of looking for any of you out there who had solar Gs and enable the Auto EL feature, only to find that the EL activates even in fairly bright ambient lighting. Any thoughts on that?
I've found that the Auto EL on my G-Shocks activates under incandescent light.

I suppose that Casio programmed the feature to use fluorescent lighting or even daylight as the basis for ambient illumination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts