WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for each of you who have a desk job and wear an automatic watch. Can you keep your watch from stopping with a typical wearing pattern of (at least) 9 hours a day without any further effort to keep it running (hand winding or swirling it around)? I know there are at lot of variables that can't be covered here, but I was just wondering if you desk jobbers can keep your watch running with some 9 hours of daily wear.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
i would say it depends on the movement and the winding efficiency.

I have a desk job with about 9 hours of daily wear too.

Tissot with ETA movement - not sufficient
Seiko and Vostok sufficiently wound

·
Registered
269 Posts
Both my Tissot and Longines get sufficient winding.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Swirling is not necessary, a little wiggle to get the rotor gently rocking back and forth (not round and round) for a couple minutes will get an automatic wound for a day.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
You gotta get up and move, my friend.
My Parmigiani with the micro-rotor needs some conscious wrist action to get enough wind, but that's the only one.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Go for a walk at lunchtime or jerk off quietly under your desk every few hours safe in the knowledge that your wrist movement with turn the rotor.
Your choice. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
You think that's bad, you should try retirement!

Go for a walk at lunchtime or jerk off quietly under your desk every few hours safe in the knowledge that your wrist movement with turn the rotor.
Your choice. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.
I thought you were...

·
Registered
35,628 Posts
The normal movement of your wrist is enough to spin the rotor.

So unless you are completely motionless you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You'll be fine. I've never had any issues. Unless your desk job involves sitting completely immobile for those 9 hours. e.g. If you are a desk model sitting at a desk in a department store window all day.

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
My watches won't maintain a full wind from my desk job, even when worn around the house after work for a few hours. I've had watches stop after 16 hours off the wrist (and I've confirmed that power reserves are fine). That said, if worn every day, they will stay running.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I switch between watches almost daily, so I always have to get it started again in the morning. But when they are going they keep going.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

1 - 20 of 183 Posts