WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep reading about how Ball and Damasko watches are anti-magnetic, and how we all encounter magnets in our daily lives which will interfere with some automatics accuracy.

How important is the anti-magnetic factor for the average joe who doesn't work in a magnet factory? Are all auto's somewhat anti-magnetic? I'm assuming not, because few companies tout their technology like Ball and Damasko.

Point being, when looking at watches, should I fear the Hamiltons and Fortis'?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've worn autos for quite a while now and never had any of them get magnetised.
If you like Hamilton and or Fortis, go for it.
Buy a Damasko for the case that will look new 20 years on.

·
Registered
39,261 Posts
:think: Worked around magnetic fields most of my life and it hasn't affected
my watches at all, my brain, that's another matter.:roll:

·
Registered
262 Posts
My SMP recently became magnetized, not sure how. I put it on a few mornings ago to find it was 7 minutes fast. I've had it almost a year and it has always been less than a minute fast per MONTH.

I took it in to a watch shop and had it degaussed, now it runs dead on again. They didn't even charge me.

I'm at a loss about how it became magnetized. My day-to-day activities were perfectly normal. Just one of those things, I guess.
Steve

·
Registered
663 Posts
Speakers, computers, security beeper thingys at stores, you car: These are all things that have the potential to magnetize a watch. Even shielded speakers emit some magnetic energy (just not enough to distort you display's image). Some vintage pieces can be quite susceptible. My father has an old Constellation and it's forever getting magnetized. My watchmaker told him that he just has to do his best to keep it away from any magnetic energy, which is really quite difficult these days.

Most modern pieces aren't affected by these things, by the way. You'd be just fine with most on a day-to-day basis.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
My 7s26 powered black monster keeps getting magnetized. I haven't figured out on what, because none of my other watches have been magnetized yet. My watch maker was surprised because the case is so think on the BM... but i guess things happen.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I got a Baume & Mercier Capeland diver from another WIS and it arrived running 30 seconds fast per day. I lived with it for a week and then yesterday I went to the local AD and their watchmaker demagged it for me for free in about 5 minutes. Now it's running spot on perfect time for the past 24 hours.

Got me wondering what it was in the shipping from Chicago to here that affected it and whether or not a titanium cased watch is more susceptible than a steel case....

Oh, and this is another opportunity to shamelessly post a picture. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts