WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months I have been searching the web, looking to purchase my first "real" watch. There have been several watches that I have fallen for, only to find that they dwarf my 6.75" diameter wrists.

Below I have listed the characteristics that I am looking for in a watch.

• Cost: Less than $4500
  • Movement: Automatic or Manual Wind
  • Case Diameter: 42mm or less
  • Dial Color: Black or other dark color
  • Hour Markers: Batons preferred
  • Complications: Chronograph required and date window is a plus, but not required
I am especially interested in TAGs and Omegas, but am open to other manufacturers as well.

I am absolutely in love with the TAG 1887 Carrera, but the watch wears too big even though it is at the 42mm mark. See below for a photo in order to get a feel for the style I am looking for.

tag-heuer-carrera-1887.jpg

Please post photos of the suggestions.

Thanks much,

Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Omega Speedmaster at 40mm, with strap $3600
Thanks for your suggestion. Although I love the Speedy Pro (which is a little too big) and the Speedy Broad Arrow, I am not much of a fan of the Speedy model you are referring too, I feel like the dial looks "off". This is mainly due to the fact that the date window is between 4 and 5 o'clock.

Any other ideas? It is damn near impossible to find a watch I like, which will fit these small wrists of mine...

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
The Speedy reduced has no date window. They can be had, in excellent condition for 1k or less.

Reactions: bdunk35

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are they available? Preferably in person...I have been interested in this watch, but I've never tried it on. I am hesitant to buy a watch online without knowing that it will fit properly.

Anywhere you know of that would still have an unused one from an authorized dealer? Is it even worth paying extra from an AD for a discontinued model? I assume that affects warranty duration and/or coverage?

Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Assuming you were replying to my post, my wrist isn't much larger than yours, FWIW.

You might try calling around to ADs and asking if they could locate one (or may have one) in stock for you to try on.

IMO, your best bet finding one is online, but I certainly understand wanting to try it on first.

If you weren't replying to me, no, you can't have that 30s back. ;-)

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
May I suggest this one?

Ollech & Wajs Mirage III Chronograph
- 40mm
- dive bezel
- day and date
- under $1k (might be tough to find one - not too many of these are around)

My wrist is the same size as yours, this one fits like a dream :-!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I was smitten by the Tag 1887 until the day I put it on my wrist. On paper is should be magical for me at 42mm. Well, it is as thick as a hamburger (make that a double cheese whooper) and absurdly disproportionate on diameter/thickness.

The Zenith El Primero Class 4 on the other hand can be had in NOS condition comfortably inside your budget.

It is a high-beat 36,000 with integrated chrono, absolutely LEGENDARY in-house movement

It is also (IMHO) the best fit for you size-wise (39mm). To this day, I envy v76 for being able to wear one... ;-)

(images shamelessly cross-linked from other happy owners)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
A used Blancpain Lemans meets all the requirements except for baton indices. It will take a bit of shopping to get one for under your price target but it is possible. It is available in a 38m and 33mm case.

I own allot of chronographs, including Speedmasters, Zeniths and a Fortis and this is an appreciably nicer chronograph than any of them in my experience. It should be, since it retails for around $10K new and uses a flyback version of the Frederic Piguet 1185 movement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts