WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, this question was being asked over and over again. I am totally new to this and I am planning to buy my first automatic what for myself as christmas gift this year.

I had been reading the forum for a while and had some idea that what I can get but I still want to see if there are more option out there. Here is the features that I am looking for:
- Automatic (I want a automatic watch for a while, now I only have quartz watches)
- Chronographs (Not because I need it, it just in general look cooler)
- Better in metal strips but leather is ok too (could wear with dress too)
- some water resistance (I am not a diver but I wear my watch when swimming)

So far, the only watch that I like and within my budget is Tissot. I like the style better with Oris but they are around $1500 or above. I found some Porsche design watch looks really great in gray market about the same price. But for now, I don't want to spent that much for my 1st mech. watch. I also looked into Steinhart, price and style are perfect, almost add to my cart but found that their chronograph watch all have zero water resistance (I don't know why, they don't even recommend you take shower with it...)

Anyway, any suggestion will help.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
There are auto Hamiltons in that range rated to 100 meters.
Probably going to be hard to find 300 meter auto chronos in that price range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking into Hamilton also. Most of the style may be too classic for my taste. I kind of like the Field King Auto Chrono. 100m is good enough, I am not going to dive with my watch. Both my G-shock and Tag goes 200m but I only swim with them.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Hamilton is a good choice and they do offer some sportier models in their Navy catagory. Not sure if they are above your price range though. They wouldn't be if you buy pre-owned, though.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
[HR][/HR]There are some Hamilton chronographs on the grey market for around $1,200. Or have a look at the Prometheus Ocean Diver Chrono, you can always replace the rubber with a nice after market leather strap.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
i'd stick with the Steinhart.
they're a lot of Watch for the Money. :-!

and BTW, why would you WANNA TAKE A SHOWER WITH YOUR WATCH ??! :think:

Cheers and good luck Hunting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody for the input. There are some new names I may need to do more research for. I know Steinhart is a lot of watch for the money. I don't mean to take shower with my watch on (if fact I did when I go camping sometime, I forgot to take of my watch in the shower). But if it doesn't even recommended the watch with swim and shower. Does it mean it I shouldn't wear in the rain? Or if I shouldn't ever put my hand under water with my watch on? It just a little inconvenience with a watch does not have any water resistance at all. They made diver watches also. I don't understand why can't they make some water resistance chronograph, or even 30m.
By the way, where I can find Revue Thommen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the Steinhart Nav B chrono II has a water resistance rating of 5atm, as engraved on the caseback... That said, I probably wouldn't feel safe taking anything without a screw-down crown into water.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
In addition to Hamilton, Revue Thommen and Tissot as mentioned, some possibilities at that price point might include Longines, Bulova, Glycine, Aristo, Archimede, Eterna and Oris. I purchased my Guinand chrono for about $1100.

·
Registered
241 Posts
How about O&W crono I think they are awesome and are swiss built and come in around the $800 mark i think !
check e'm out on the west coast time site !

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Up yr budget by small amount and you can get brand new Longines Hydroconquest Chronograph. Its a diving watch so it shall have all the quality that will make it last.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Most of the Hammys (grey online market) fall within your range. The popular X-Wind (bracelet or leather strap) makes a very nice all-arounder...screwed down crowns, nice 44mm case, lots of strap options, and a stock V7750 to woot. And a Swatch brand to top if off.

I've been debating between the 47mm Steinhart Chrono and the silver dial X-Wind lately but the lack of recessed sub dials on the Steinhart and numbers appear to be simply painted on (X-Wind uses indices and recessed guillotine sub dials) makes me give the edge to the X-Wind. And I constantly shower with my GShocks and Citizens so yeah.....WR is somewhat important to me. On the contrary, I REALLY REALLY like the gold rotor and the use of AR coating on the Steinhart (to my knowledge, Hamilton has never used AR coating ever).

Hence its been a month and I still haven't purchased either watch and still looking for my perfect $1200 watch :-d.

Good luck, buddy.

-Sandeep

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I will second Sandeep's suggestion and say go for the Hamilton X-Wind. All around awesome watch and versatile with straps. Also take a look at the Hamilton website as they have other chronographs as well (like the x-copter, etc.).

If you buy grey market, they should fall well under your budget.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To the OP: I don't know how much thread surfing you've been doing, but keep in mind that the added complexity of a mechanical chronograph movement requires more expensive maintenance than a typical 3-hand watch. Be prepared to pay US$ 500+ every 6 years or so to keep that watch in top condition.

·
Banned
626 Posts
Bernardwatch has the Avier Chrono with Top-grade 7750 with full day/date complication, not truncated. The whole thing with sapphire glass in a 200m WR case. Cost is around 7-800USD. Best deal on a 7750 I know. The second best deal would be the discontinued Accutron VX-200 chrono. Same specs plus dive bezel. Really sweet watch. Some years ago, lucky buyers got that new for under $500. Now it's back in the 1k range. :( Still a lot of watch for the money. The bracelet is also quite nice on that watch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, thanks for all the in put. There is a lot of watch to look into now. Seems I will have more home work to do. For $1200, look like there are still a lot of choice for a 7750 movement chronograph if I am not looking for the well know brand name. In fact, I think its even cooler to have a nice looking, affordable, not-that-many-people-know brand watch. Just wondering where I could really found them.:-d

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I looked into the Accutron as well, but had fallen head over with the Revue. I got a good deal on it too; a few hundred on bracelet less than I could find it on rubber from other gray market sellers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts