WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Off the top of my head I only recall the Vintage series from Bell & Ross, the Omega Speedmaster Reduced, and some of the Longines chronos. Oh there's also the new Tissot chronos using that new ETA caliber as well. It seems the only other movement choice is the 2984.

I so far haven't found an El Primero automatic under $2,000.

Anything else?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
A 2892 with a DD is a 2894 ... isn't it?
Yep, I think (not sure) that is the 2020 module on top of a 2892.
Actually, not quite.

A 2894 uses a different mainplate, and I dont mean it has "2894" stamped on it instead of "2892A2."

It is larger and has cutouts where the pusher fit, and a few other modifications dial-side.

More correctly stated - A 2894 is a variation of 2892 with a DD module.

Whereas the chronograph module versions of the 2824, are just a 2824-2 with a module fitted on top. Other than the length of the fourth wheel tube, the mainplate is the same.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I saw an Zenith Sports chrono during LVMH F&F sale for $1950. I could not scrape up funds to get it though. :(

The Speedy reduced uses the ETA 2894 (with DD module) I believe.

B&R Vintage Chrono is 7750 based as far as I know and it is definitely north of 2K.

Chinese auto chrono not based 7750, do they exist?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i believe seagull has put an automatic winding module on their st19 hand winding chronograph movement but it's not out in any watch yet. the only other chinese auto chronos are copies of the 7750 as far as i know.

does seiko still make auto chronographs?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
i believe seagull has put an automatic winding module on their st19 hand winding chronograph movement but it's not out in any watch yet. the only other chinese auto chronos are copies of the 7750 as far as i know.

does seiko still make auto chronographs?
Seiko still does, but the few models they have out cost more than $2000.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm 90% sure all the B&R Vintage series is 2894. I think they pretty much use all 2894 now after they left Sinn.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
You can get Ebel 1911 and E-Type watches with the Ebel 137 movement, but I believe the MSRP on most of those (if not all) would be over $2000. Of course, there are always NOS pieces of discontinued models to be had for less than $2000.

·
Registered
351 Posts
When you say $2000.00 do you mean retail price? There are plenty of used and discounted new watches with movements other than the 7750 for under $2K. Try the Longines Master Chronograph with the 2894 discounted from retail. Used Zenith's can be had near your price limit. The Chopard MM chrono (non-XL size) uses the 2894 and can be bought used at your price.

Also, I'm not sure why you reject the 7750. Maybe it's too common or you dislike the subdial layout. If the latter, watches with the 7753 have the 3,6,9 layout.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The 7753 has the horizontal sub-dial layout, but it does not have the crown controlled quick-change date. Date change is done by a third pusher at 10 o'clock, which may be undesirable.

You also loose the day indicator, I don't know how important these factors are to you.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was just curious if there were any other options besides the 2894. I have owned a number of 7750 watches and I'm simply bored and tired of the movement, the layout, the wobble, the feel of the chrono pushers, etc.

Where can you get an Ebel 137 for less than 2k?

The pricing is just a question of effective market price that you can buy it for.

There's also the Tutima NATO Chrono which uses the 5100 but it doesn't do it for me. I wish I could find a mint Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono using the 5100.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I was just curious if there were any other options besides the 2894. I have owned a number of 7750 watches and I'm simply bored and tired of the movement, the layout, the wobble, the feel of the chrono pushers, etc.

The pricing is just a question of effective market price that you can buy it for.

There's also the Tutima NATO Chrono which uses the 5100 but it doesn't do it for me. I wish I could find a mint Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono using the 5100.
I'm getting an NOS piece from a forum member (E-Type, Ebel 137) for way less than 2k ... just got lucky perhaps. I've seen them sell in the gray market for about Euro 1700 to 1900 (and that is with 19% VAT in Germany). I'm talking about NOS (discontinued models), even these might be tough to get under 2k from ADs.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Personally I'd look for a nice used Zenith chronograph. Should not be hard to find in that general price range.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The 7753 has the horizontal sub-dial layout, but it does not have the crown controlled quick-change date. Date change is done by a third pusher at 10 o'clock, which may be undesirable.

You also loose the day indicator, I don't know how important these factors are to you.
Dear sir, in your opinion what does this BM have inside?
I always thought it had a 7753 but i can't see a pusher at 10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts