WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently just purchased my first watch ever. Went with a Deep Blue Juggernaut 3 automatic. I just now learned after a little looking around that auto watches require maintenance vs a new battery in a quartz. I was curious whether anyone knows if Deep Blue has a watch maintenance service or do I need to learn to do it myself?
Also, with dive watches is it a big deal to open the back? Obviously they're rated for different depths, so if I take the back off are there any special things I need to do to retain its water resistance?

Sorry for my ignorance in maintenance and the like, very new to the watch world.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi,

Your watch has a 9015 Miyota automatic movement. It is a great movement, relatively new and 28800 bph (same as ETA 2824). Gives a nice sweeping second hand and it is quite accurate.

Your watch will need service in a few years, no need to worry about this. Automatic watches (vs quartz) are accurate to a certain limit. Usually -15 seconds to + 20 seconds per day is considered normal. Your mileage may vary, no automatic watch is identical, even if they are the same model with the same movement.

In a few years, you will notice that it starts acting weird (loses/gains minutes per day, power reserve way too low, etc), you send it to any competent watchmaker for a service, no need to send it back to Deep Blue. The jeweler will disassemble the movement, clean it, rebuild and oil the jewels and gears. It is a very precise work, needs special tools and knowledge to do it correctly. This is the kind of work I leave to professionals!!

To answer your second question, no need to open your watch if everything is fine. When you close it, it needs to be pressure tested to ensure it retained it's water resist qualities. If you want to see what it looks like inside, google is your friend, tons of pics there of guys who have a 9015 to satisfy your curiosity!!

Cheers and congratulations on your first auto watch!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Your watch has a 9015 Miyota automatic movement. It is a great movement, relatively new and 28800 bph (same as ETA 2824). Gives a nice sweeping second hand and it is quite accurate.

Your watch will need service in a few years, no need to worry about this. Automatic watches (vs quartz) are accurate to a certain limit. Usually -15 seconds to + 20 seconds per day is considered normal. Your mileage may vary, no automatic watch is identical, even if they are the same model with the same movement.

In a few years, you will notice that it starts acting weird (loses/gains minutes per day, power reserve way too low, etc), you send it to any competent watchmaker for a service, no need to send it back to Deep Blue. The jeweler will disassemble the movement, clean it, rebuild and oil the jewels and gears. It is a very precise work, needs special tools and knowledge to do it correctly. This is the kind of work I leave to professionals!!

To answer your second question, no need to open your watch if everything is fine. When you close it, it needs to be pressure tested to ensure it retained it's water resist qualities. If you want to see what it looks like inside, google is your friend, tons of pics there of guys who have a 9015 to satisfy your curiosity!!

Cheers and congratulations on your first auto watch!!
Awesome thanks for the reply very helpful. I read some stuff saying pressure testing is pricey, so maybe after its been serviced just don't dive with it?
I am interested in learning how to make or at least repair watches so maybe I'll look around for some cheaper ones that I can take apart myself to see if I can get them back together correctly ;)

·
Premium Member
71,450 Posts
If you dive in the watch it may be a good idea to get it pressure tested annually. Otherwise just have it serviced every 5 years or so. When the service is done the seals should be changed and the watch pressure tested but make sure this is done as it is sometimes missed out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts