WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I've been looking to get an automatic (preferable) watch with real moonphase or day/night indicator. So far the one I found that impress me its a non automatic one; the Citizen Eco-Drive Moonphase indicator caliber no. 8651. But because I dont want a battery operated watch I'm holding myself to pull the trigger. I was also looking the Sea-Gull M199S but because it come from China (maybe Im just Put in jeopardy their quality cuz of the origin) im not too sure about it. My budget? Not more than $300. I will get a Kemmner (I heard really good things about this craftsman) soon so I cant use my all my watch budget in a Moonphase unless Kemmner can make one. BTW, its very hard to get in touch with him!

I hope you guys can help me. Send Q's and will answer ASAP.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Hi jga - I share your fondness for moonphase. I have a few including the Citizen AP1024-56P, which is really beautiful. The solar power gets around the battery problem. Citizen makes some of the prettiest phasers around, and I've been eyeing some of their crazy celestial watches too. As for Mechanical moonphase, you should realize that the Sea-Gull M199S is a hand-winder, not auto. The Sea-Gull M308S is auto, on the other hand. Many people here can attest that Sea-Gull makes excellent movements on par with the Europeans, and their own branded watches have much better QC than the poor reputation of some other Chinese clone watches. For the European watches, I have looked hard at the Maurice LeCroix Masterpiece, which hovers around $2000 and often appears at discount sites. Instead I recently decided on the one below for $100 from eBay, which I hope might arrive this afternoon in the mail. It's made by Sea-Gull as OEM. Seller's photo, I can report on it later.

(edit) My Citizen:

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is a big difference between a real moonphase and a day/night indicator, especially if you are looking at automatics. You should really think about what you want exactly.

If your budget is $300, I think you are out of luck in terms of a mechanical moonphase.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I can't personally speak for Sea Gull's quality, but from what I've read on the forums they are pretty top notch. Even though it is from PRC, you're going to find quality movements that you won't in your typical mushroom brands.

Here is a review of the model you were looking at https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/sea-gull-m199s-review-199591.html That is if you didn't read it already.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
The Sea-Gull 308 and 199 are indeed 29 1/2 day moon phase, as is the Maurice Blum that I just received. I paid only $100 for it and it's quite nice - sapphire crystal front and back, Sea-Gull ST25 movement (2528). These designs aren't for everyone. Some would think them a bit busy. I'm rather impressed with this one, though. The problem is, when searching for true moon phase on a place like eBay, so many ultra-cheapies pop up with day/night sun/moon dials, and it can get frustrating if you want a true monthly moon phase. For non-mechanical moon or tide displays under $300 you can look to Citizen (the best selection IMHO), Casio Solar-atomic G-Shock, and for a bit $more there are some very modern designs by Yes watches. For me at least, for now, I have scratched my itch and very happy with this new toy! Pictures, front and back:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man! that looks really nice! I shared your frustration over ebay, they really sell junk! Tks I think my decisions are on two brands Citizen or Seagull. I'll keep you post it. Tks again! BTW if you like classic watches check out the Kemmner Tonneau (german) @ least for me look very sharp with an ETA 2824 movement. Obviously isnt a moonphase but it looks nice.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Ahhh, jga, I see where your tastes are gravitating. Classic mid-century modernism. I haven't had the guts to spend the money yet, but I look deeply at Stowa Antea and Nomos Glaschutte for clean Bauhaus lines - among my grails. Seiko is really good at getting those classic shapes, and Orient has some surprises like their 60th anniversary, which I wore to a wedding in November with a tux and felt like royalty. Something beautiful about subtle simplicity. Moon-phase might seem at odds with that, but it fits a classicist sentiment.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
I wouldn't have any concerns about Sea-Gull quality. I owned an M199S and it's a very well made (and frankly beautiful) watch. Selling it has left a big hole in my collection.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice watch and photos. What is the model number for this particular watch?

The Sea-Gull 308 and 199 are indeed 29 1/2 day moon phase, as is the Maurice Blum that I just received. I paid only $100 for it and it's quite nice - sapphire crystal front and back, Sea-Gull ST25 movement (2528). These designs aren't for everyone. Some would think them a bit busy. I'm rather impressed with this one, though. The problem is, when searching for true moon phase on a place like eBay, so many ultra-cheapies pop up with day/night sun/moon dials, and it can get frustrating if you want a true monthly moon phase. For non-mechanical moon or tide displays under $300 you can look to Citizen (the best selection IMHO), Casio Solar-atomic G-Shock, and for a bit $more there are some very modern designs by Yes watches. For me at least, for now, I have scratched my itch and very happy with this new toy! Pictures, front and back:

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Nice watch and photos. What is the model number for this particular watch?
Thanks for the kind words. The model number appears to be the one etched on the back, MB600142. There is actually a Maurice Blum website with the typically disingenuous "since 1901" swiss etc... and they have two similar watches in the "Lunaris" line, so I assume this is a variation on that line, same Sea-Gull movement, very similar to "600125" that they show there. If you go to the Chinese Sea-Gull site you'll actually see one of these watches pictured on the page advertising their OEM work, so it seems clear these are made by Sea-Gull in house with the MB brand on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts