WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Longines with an ETA 2824 (L633 they call it) and I am curious what kind of shock resistance to expect from it. I don't run with it or play sports and have heard that small bumps can affect the movement of an automatic watch.
The other day I had my watch on, left hand on the wheel and I was driving over a very bumpy road and started to wonder "Gee, I wonder if this vibration is bad for the watch." And then the other day I was careless, banged the bezel on the fridge when I was in the kitchen and winced.

So curious, how much shock can an automatic take, namely an ETA 2824?
And how do I find out which grade my movement (L633) is, exactly?

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
For the type of use and occurrences you've described your movement should not suffer any negative effects. The shock protecting system on the more delicate components should be more than adequate for handling this kind of issues.

you might want to get started by reading the following wikipedia article, as well as all the links in it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incabloc_shock_protection_system

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,937 Posts
I have a Longines with an ETA 2824 (L633 they call it) and I am curious what kind of shock resistance to expect from it. I don't run with it or play sports and have heard that small bumps can affect the movement of an automatic watch.
The other day I had my watch on, left hand on the wheel and I was driving over a very bumpy road and started to wonder "Gee, I wonder if this vibration is bad for the watch." And then the other day I was careless, banged the bezel on the fridge when I was in the kitchen and winced.

So curious, how much shock can an automatic take, namely an ETA 2824?
And how do I find out which grade my movement (L633) is, exactly?
Your movement should be able to withstand the usual run of bumps and bangs into door jamps, refrigerators, etc. Don't pound nails, change a tire, swing a golf club, etc. The shock protection involves the use of spring loaded jewels in the escapement, so it offers some protection but it isn't perfect.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
take that golf club line serious. my best bro used to play in a breitling crosswind special till it stopped mid round. he aid 1/2 the service cost though it was just slightly over the warranty period.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Your movement should be able to withstand the usual run of bumps and bangs into door jamps, refrigerators, etc. Don't pound nails, change a tire, swing a golf club, etc. The shock protection involves the use of spring loaded jewels in the escapement, so it offers some protection but it isn't perfect.
Change a tire?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts