1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Cats,

A great new find that's pretty odd, see link please

Automatic Oddity (New Find!)

If anybody can educate me on why it was built that way I'd appreciate it.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'd want to see the case back and inside case back to see who made the case. My first guess would be that it's been recased, because I can't think of a good aesthetic reason for doing this; it's not off center enough to make sense as a deliberate design, so I'm thinking the case was designed for some odd movement that had an off center stem location.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tool does not fit this caseback so I'll have it opened and get some pictures put up. May take a couple days.
Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Automatic Oddity, need some input (see link) UPDATED

Ok so here it is open now.

Case back read as:
Cased and timed by Elgin National Watch Co.

The circular portion reads:
Watch Star Case Company 1520

Serial number:
T019854

Everything certainly looks right to me. Go figure :-s

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Re: Automatic Oddity, need some input (see link) UPDATED

Interesting. The movement is based on the AS 1361 (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1361) which is from the 50's. That seems to match the stamp inside the caseback (at this point, they were only importing the movement and then casing it in their factory). I'm not sure about the dial though...isn't there a DuraPower symbol on the front?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes there is a Durapower logo on the dial, very tiny just under the self winding notation. It also says shockmaster at the 6 position.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Interesting. I did a scan for other Elgin 643's, and all of them have the DP logo (although only some say shockmaster). Yours has a KIF system, but others have incabloc which surprised me; I wouldn't have though Incabloc would allow companies to rebrand like that.

So since the dial, movement and caseback all seem to match, it's looking like it was made this way. Unless the lugs were moved by someone? Any sign of resoldering?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree Rob, for whatever reason it was made this way. On the public forum the theory of it being a right hand driver watch has been brought up and when wearing on my right hand and driving it does make some sense except the viewing offset could be increased buy a couple more degrees.

Thanks for looking at this with me, I appreciate your time.

Peace,
Preston

1 - 8 of 8 Posts