WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an automatic watch from Parnis. Far from the highest quality watch I own, but still almost a $100 timepiece. Looks nice and keeps amazingly good time. My issue is that when I have it on, it is extremely loud when it is winding. You can really hear the automatic winding mechanism turning. Any advice how to quiet it down. Could a jeweler repair it?

Thanks for reading my question:

Bob

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Pretty much all automatics make that clicking sound when winding, the difference is the case and how much sound gets out. I really doubt there's anything to "repair" if this is what you're talking about.

If you mean more of a swirling type of sound, that could indicate a loose rotor or even a rotor that is contacting the inside of the caseback. I've unfortunately dealt with many of these cheap autos with this issue and, typically, the cause is the rotor bearing and not just a loose screw. If the track the ball bearings ride in is not sized perfectly to fit them then the rotor will move a little up and down as it turns and cause this type of sound (loudly) as it lightly rubs the movement plates or caseback. Not a lot you can do about it if so, short of finding a replacement rotor, but it shouldn't greatly affect the function of the watch either. I've converted some of mine to full manual wind over the years just because this annoyed me and it wasn't worth the cost or effort to try and fix them.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Different automatic movements make different noises. As Midshipman says, the case also has an effect. I own two Parnis autos, and the one with ST25 Sea-Gull movement is indeed rather loud, but it works great. Some Sea-Gull ST16 movements are even louder (like in Alpha MilSub), and my Orient Mako is as loud as any of them. So, no worries, it's a way for you to remember that the hamster is still running in its little wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Parnis Power Reserve sporting a ST25 movement, and it is indeed very loud when winding (or actually when the rotor is freewheeling, it only winds in one direction). Some say the rotor noise will become lower over time, but i havent noticed. All in all the sound doesn't bother me too much, and the winding mechanizm appears to be very effective, usually i will go from 30 to 40 (full) on the power reserve indicator in 2-3 hours if im moving around.

I will say, however, that the Parnis is the only watch i own where someone else has noticed the winding sound - i've even been asked "what is that sound". Gave me a nice oppertunity to talk about automatics with a non WIS :)

·
Registered
20,787 Posts
Some automatic watches are a little noisy, especially when you pay too much attention to it, if you want a totally quiet watch go with a hand-wound ;))

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a Parnis Power Reserve sporting a ST25 movement, and it is indeed very loud when winding
1. Parnis power reserve is absolutely noisy as hell.
2. Seiko Monster bracelet is not "very good" - it is absolutely "extraordinary excellent".

Only two subjects I've read on WUS that seem to be understated IMHO.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Seiko monster bracelet is "very good". It doesn't hold a candle to the likes of some aftermarket offererings like the Anvil, nor many of the higer end bracelets out there. It's great for the price, just not extraordinary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts