WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do we need more of in the watch market?

• I would like to see more Manual wind watches in all price ranges.

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • I would like to see more Automatic or Auto + manual watches.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I don't care as long as it has a mechanical movement.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Hacking movement is more important than Manual or Auto.

Votes: 3 6.8%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious how other forum members feel about the winding mechanism of the mechanical watches.
This Poll is not about which is better or the best. This is about how you feel about the current availability of each type of mechanism.

IMO, there are not enough manual wind watches available in the "affordable" price range.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I like them both and have them both, it truly makes no difference to me.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I enjoy both, but probably enjoy the manuals more.

Sent from my Android XT1030 with big fingers

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
Manual wind, no date - the epitome of a watch design for me . . .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would love to see more manuals on the market.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are some great affordable manual wind watches out there IMHO. I have a great sterile dial Epos with a ETA Unitas 6497 movement that I love. Laco and some of the more affordable Swiss brands you might find at Island Watch have some high quality affordable hand winders. I also like some of the German manual winders from Junghans and Junkers in this price range. It's interesting - automatics really got me into watch collecting but I am currently really loving my manual winds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I enjoy both BUT I'd prefer Manual for the more expensive watches, to view all the intricate finishing of the movement in full glory.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I like both and voted 3 but actually hacking is important to me, and there aren't that many manual winds out there so 1 or 4 would work too. 2 is a confusing option.

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
Manual is good, regular daily physical contact, deeper feeling.

Moreover, hand-wind watches tend to break less often, I've read many threads about noisy rotor or automatic watches that suddenly stop winding.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'm easy to please.I like mechanical over quartz, but I do not hate quartz. I have winders and autos, both are fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have to say manual wind. Its that little moment you get every morning, just you and your watch where you tell it you love it. It's a bit like live plants vs plastic. Sure you have to water the live plant every so often, but it's a small bond you develop.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
39,807 Posts
Automatic for me. I think I'm probably in the minority for me, but I worry about forgetting to wind a watch and I don't have to worry with an auto.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I agree that manual wind watches have their place. While I didn't think so when I first got into watches, I now prefer manual wind watches because I do not have to worry about a power reserve. If I wind the watch, it is always good to go and to me it is less hassle to wind daily than to worry about power reserves or setting the watch right before putting it on. It is actually more work than resetting the watch, but it somehow psychologically seems preferable to wind ahead of time rather than to reset right before wearing.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I prefer mechanicals over quartz, because I'm weird like most of you.

I prefer hand wound over auto, because they're usually slimmer.

Hacking is nice but not necessary, because my watches are not set to the second anyway.

In my price category there seems to be more automatics than manuals, so I voted option 1.

And I did not understand the option 2... :-(

·
Premium Member
64,962 Posts
I used to be a champion of quartz watches but found myself rooting for mechanicals more and more. I like autos best but I'm nearly as happy with a hand cranker.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Classic Omega Speedmaster has one of the best Omega movements (#861) and it is manual wind. To my mind, the only quartz you'll ever see on my wrist is a G-Shock. Well, I have a Swiss Army beater that's quartz, too, and it gets worn... But that is it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts