WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If an automatic is initially running fast is it likely to change after an initial "breaking in period"? If so, how long a breaking in period is typical and how much change might occur? My watch is running about 18 seconds fast per day and I'm wondering whether to try to regulate it or just wait and see. Placing it in different positions at night does not seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If an automatic is initially running fast is it likely to change after an initial "breaking in period"? If so, how long a breaking in period is typical and how much change might occur? My watch is running about 18 seconds fast per day and I'm wondering whether to try to regulate it or just wait and see. Placing it in different positions at night does not seem to make a difference.
If you are hoping for it to be fixed then i say wait a week? If you want to reach a quick conclusion go get it regulated. To be honest it depends on the watch, 18/day isnt that bad. My Tag Carrera does +15 per day, i dont bother to get it regulated

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Who told you that a watch has a break in period?

p i t h y

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
There ain't no sych thing as a break in period for watches. There is a combination of bringing the watch to full wind over a couple of days and the owner getting used to his new mechanical watch and the inherent variability of mechanical watches. Just wear the watch for a couple of weeks. Then set it to time.gov and check the cumulative error after 7 full days. If the average daily error is beyond 10 seconds consider having it adjusted by the manufacturer or authorized dealer.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
If you are hoping for it to be fixed then i say wait a week? If you want to reach a quick conclusion go get it regulated. To be honest it depends on the watch, 18/day isnt that bad. My Tag Carrera does +15 per day, i dont bother to get it regulated
Yes it is ...my tolerance is +/- 3 sec per day.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
19,969 Posts
That's kinda big. My 45-year-old Omega is sitting at maybe +2-3/day after getting regulated. If I got a newer watch that performed worse, I'd get it adjusted, too.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Depends, if i got 18/day from my Zenith for example, id be pretty upset. Considering my Tag is non COSC and a simple Valjoux 7750. 15/day isnt the biggest deal. It just depends on personal tolerance. I tolerate depending on how much i pay.

·
Registered
265 Posts
18 seconds a day is a bit much, IMHO. Normally, I give my new watches a month of solid wear before I make any judgments on accuracy.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Your tolerance notwithstanding, for most lower-end mechanical movements, +18s/day is within normal specs. I believe Seiko's 7S26 and Citizen's 8215, for example, are rated within +40/-20.

+18 is not too far outside the factory adjustment for standard grade Swiss movements like the ETA 2824-2, either.

The OP hasn't said what kind of watch he has, but depending on the make, grade, and age of the movement, +18 might be completely normal.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Your tolerance notwithstanding, for most lower-end mechanical movements, +18s/day is within normal specs. I believe Seiko's 7S26 and Citizen's 8215, for example, are rated within +40/-20.

+18 is not too far outside the factory adjustment for standard grade Swiss movements like the ETA 2824-2, either.

The OP hasn't said what kind of watch he has, but depending on the make, grade, and age of the movement, +18 might be completely normal.
i did some research regarding the +15/day on my valjoux 7750....in conclusion, completely normal and within specs. If you go up to brands like GO, watchmakers would probably get shot for such a spec :p

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
This seems to be true. My Seiko 5 was insanely accurate. But now it has been sitting stopped for several weeks and when i re-run it some time ago, it wasn't as accurate anymore.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yes, cuz it's universal principle to every mechanical system.
But no to you, cuz very often, break-in already starts during transportation in distribution, that's before you purchase the watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts