WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the success of the Coastliner™ watch, which has now sold into 14 countries, Automatic Watch Co. are pleased to announce the Sunliner™.
Following the theme of ‘50s Californian lifestyle, the Sunliner provides the perfect accompaniment for driving down that Californian coast road in an open top car.

sunliner-press-photo.jpg

The 42mm stainless steel case is mirror polished and has a satin finished case back with exhibition window. There is a slightly curved sapphire crystal to the front and a reinforced mineral glass to the back. The cream dial has a beautifully simple sunburst design with hand-applied hour markers, while the needle point hands are complemented by the mint green second hand.

crown_4.jpg

The logos are designed by the watches creator, Tim Hadleigh, who is a typographer in his own right. His statement “…l love my letter n…” demonstrates the detail that typifies Hadleigh’s work.

Power comes from an ETA 2824-2 automatic winding movement in a nickel finish and the hands are set by way of a crown that is engraved with a ‘50s atomic motif.

I am particularly pleased with the Sunliner. It captures the laid back Californian lifestyle that inspires my work. The dial is a real delight as l feel l got the balance just right. I designed the watch while on holiday in the States.
, says Tim Hadleigh.

A graphic designer and typographer by trade, Tim had made the gradual transition to watch design over the past four years.
I do have a sound understanding of engineering having built and modified racing cars in the past, but watches are much smaller! Once l had become accustomed to the tiny parts and tolerances it became second nature to me. One customer congratulated me on creating ‘something out of nothing’ as he held his wrist up displaying his new Coastliner watch. He was right. The watches start off as a mere thought, a notion as you sit there with a sketch pad. I got a real buzz out of that comment.
Automatic Watch Co. is based in the UK but makes all of its watches in Switzerland, near Delemont.

I produce my prototypes myself in the UK and then go to Switzerland to carry out my production work. I enjoy being involved in as many of the production processes as possible and each watch has received some of my hand-crafting during its creation
, adds Hadleigh.

The Sunliner retails at £1,250 or $2091. There is a build time of up to 16 weeks for this Swiss Made piece as Tim only builds a handful of his creations per year. All sales are direct over the Internet via the Company’s web site www.automaticwatchcompany.com.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Why is a UK company selling a '50's Californian lifestyle'?

I also have an issue with the name: are they the only company selling automatic watches?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts
Nice looking retro design watch with more of a tie to the popular 1950's Ford convertibles than a connection to California.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
$2100 for a simple watch with a 2824 from an unknown company? Nice design, but I'd rather buy a CW Malvern slim at 1/3 the price, similar ETA movement, same materials, same Swiss Made logo and a company with a great costumer service reputation. Or maybe that 50's baby-blue seconds hand is really really expensive to produce?

·
Registered
14,456 Posts

I also have an issue with the name: are they the only company selling automatic watches?
I don't feel like I own part of a monopoly over '50s California lifestyle. That's like saying nobody should be influenced by anything, especially if it's not their own countrymen who lived it or made it. Kinda (very) silly sounding to me.

It's hard to see where the value is just looking at pictures, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that I have to learn more before final judgment. I do like the styling though. It does invoke thoughts of a bygone era.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Nice looking retro design watch with more of a tie to the popular 1950's Ford convertibles than a connection to California.
You have to realize that the '50s to someone in say, Kansas, is going to be quite different from the '50s in say, Arizona. Now, if you are from another part of the world, America in the '50s is going to be much more iconic.

So while I think of hot rods, drive-ins, and dairy freeze joints, most people from other countries will think about things like California girls and beaches. It makes perfect sense to me.

·
Premium Member
36,191 Posts
Nice, but not for that price with a basic movement.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I opened the thread, saw the pic and immediately thought "60's, convertible". So I'd say mission accomplished. And I think that California in the 50's and 60's IS apart of America that we can all feel a part of.

HOW MUCH?!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I like the name of the company...I like the style....Don't like the size...Don't like the price.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've seen uglier watches with crappy movements going for more than this, too many to count. This one is too expensive, sure, but otherwise looks pretty nice. I'd wear one.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Holy crap is that beautiful!

Holy crap - $2000?

Nope.

Reactions: X2-Elijah

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts
You have to realize that the '50s to someone in say, Kansas, is going to be quite different from the '50s in say, Arizona. Now, if you are from another part of the world, America in the '50s is going to be much more iconic.

So while I think of hot rods, drive-ins, and dairy freeze joints, most people from other countries will think about things like California girls and beaches. It makes perfect sense to me.
Sunliner is a brand name specific to convertible top cars made by Ford in the 1950's and 1960's. I'm surprised that they don't still hold rights to the name.

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
I was really liking this one...until I got to the price.

Reactions: emaja

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
I feel like a lot of boutique watches do not differentiate themselves from the current market place or offer a competitive advantage.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I really like the color of the second hand...goes well with the color of the strap and does harken back to some of the paint schemes on American autos from the 1950s.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
Price is fine by me but I wouldn't buy it since it doesn't really move me looks wise, a little too simple/spartan . . .

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Why does a Italian car company sell a California? 'Cause Cali is cool or in this case was in the 50's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts