WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you have a good suggestion on how to rotate Apple Watch and mechanical watch with ease?
I am a long-time enthusiast for smart watches. Recently, I got into mechanical watches, and one-by-one, have replaced all my smart watches with mechanicals. Except for the Apple Watch. This one is difficult, because it's just so good. I don't foresee me getting rid of this any time soon.

I have a particular soft spot for the Apple Watch because its gentle nagging about activity prompted this former lard-arse to get off his butt, and lose forty pounds in the last year. I still use it every day for exercise. Possibly when (if) the honeymoon period is over with mechanicals, I may reverse the rotation and use the Apple Watch as my daily wear, and mechanicals for special occasions. Who knows?

When I wear my mechanicals, I'm aware of missing the hugely useful notifications on the Apple Watch; when I wear the Apple Watch, I'm aware of the "coldness" of the computer and miss the soul of a mechanical. It's quite tough to reconcile the two.

Anyway, I'm not sure I have any earth-shattering advice for you, but, at least for me, this is how it currently fits into my rotation:
Mechanical during the day and at work (I'm a pianist, so have a solar quarts dress watch for that), Apple Watch for tracking exercise. Apple Watch at night so that I can easily see the time in the middle of the night, and I use it to track my sleep.

Either way, if you're on the fence about the Apple Watch, I can't recommend it enough—provided you can accept that it won't have the "soul" of your mechanical watches. This is offset by its utility.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I get the Apple Watch, I'd use the Apple Watch during weekdays when I work, for notifications. I would use my mechanical watches during weekends.

Because of the discount, I probably will get the Apple Watch Series 3 without LTE. If I don't like it, I can give it away. If I like it, I think I will buy watch winder for my mechanical watchews. Looks like I can get an average watch winder for $100-$125.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have converted to wearing the apple watch 24/7.
Sleep and activity tracking is very interesting
I have a constant daily struggle about that. I love my mechanical and analogue watches, but I’m always acutely aware of the functionality I’m giving up to wear them—especially as I wear it to work out every day. Beauty or brains.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I held off buying an AW for a long time... mostly because I was worried it would take over. And I do agree that it’s at its best when you wear it daily. That said, I’ve settled into a routine that works. I wear my mechanicals mostly during the work week and the AW at the gym and for kicking around on Saturdays. I probably sacrifice some of the benefits that way, but it seems to be working for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have a constant daily struggle about that. I love my mechanical and analogue watches, but I’m always acutely aware of the functionality I’m giving up to wear them—especially as I wear it to work out every day. Beauty or brains.
I think I will be wearing my AW3 even when I go to opera or concerts in my suit and tie. I will just wear the Apple watch with nice leather strap when I am dressed up.

The silent taptic engine is also genius.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I think I will be wearing my AW3 even when I go to opera or concerts in my suit and tie. I will just wear the Apple watch with nice leather strap when I am dressed up.

The silent taptic engine is also genius.
I have to wear a tie to work. First year it felt weird wearing the AW in professional attire, then I relegated my dress watch to things like weddings etc. Now I just don't care I wear it with everything haha and I sold the dress watch. Sometimes I think about getting another one of those +/- 5 sec p/y citizens, but I don't know when I would wear it.

First AW and the old daily wearer. Citizen CTQ57-0954 high accuracy quartz.

IMG_0297.jpg

·
Registered
19,199 Posts
Why do you call that wrist-computer a watch?

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,011 Posts
Why do you call that wrist-computer a watch?
Well, the time display is just an app. I call this product a "wrist phone".
However, this is an Apple product. Apple gets to name it, and Apple
named their product the "Apple Watch". So, that is what we call it here.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The main function of a watch is the main function of the apple watch.
The apple watch does whole a lot more in addition to its main function and that's why i wear it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts