WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not want to hijack a thread I just replied to so I figured I'd start another. I know this is not Ocean7 Specific and if the mods or Mitch want to remove this post. Please do but I believe this is OK marked as off Topic.

I am posting here as I respect the opinion of my fellow Ocean7 friends.

How many of you have your watches regulated? What is the criteria you use in regards to +/- per day? Do you use a local person or send them out.

It seems natural that the various arm positions and arm movements throughout the day as well as storage position affects timing.
I was recently told by a reputable person in the industry, that does not regulate watches as he will not wear a customers watch in order to regulate them.

So if this is the case how do other regulate watches? Is it just storing them in various positions checking the timing and then adjusting?

· Registered
2,063 Posts
I have a watch timer and regulate my own watches, so how I do it may not be exactly what you'd encounter if you took your watch to someone to regulate it.

If I need to regulate a watch, I first make sure that the beat error is good. If the rate is off by too much I'll also set it close to what it should be - 18,000, 21,600 or 28,000 bph. I'll then wear the watch as I normally would and see how much it gains or looses over a few days. From that I'll calculate what the rate should be and set it accordingly. The rate is usually pretty close to the above mentioned bphs, but it's not always exactly those numbers.

Most of my watches have manual wind movements and I find those a bit easier to deal with. I know that on average they're always 75% wound if I wind the watch once every day. With an automatic watch I have no way of knowing how wound they are (none of my watches have a power reserve indicator) although they're probably fully wound towards the end of the day if I've worn in.

If your watch is reasonably accurate it may be helpful to the person doing the regulating to tell them exactly how many seconds fast or slow it runs when you use it as you normally would. However, if your watch is way off it may be time for a service and then they'll probably adjust it to whatever rate the movement uses.

Finally, I personally would try to have someone local regulate the watch. The shipping back and forth costs more than what it costs to actually regulate the watch, and who knows how the watch is treated as it's being bounced around the country.

· Registered
526 Posts
Time is a funny thing. And for watch fanatics, it must be even more of a personal issue.
When I buy an automatic watch, I hope it is within + or - 5 seconds per day over a 30 days period. If it is outside these numbers, I will try to regulate it myself.
But I have never had the " time " or the patience to check it in different positions ( crown down, up etc...). To me, a watch is on my wrist and it stays there just as a real life situation.
Honest, if it is even close to + or - 7 seconds a day, I will keep it closed up.
An automatic watch is so mechanical, so simple and yet so complex !
It CAN"T be expected to run like a quartz.
Yet, the over priced etc...Rolex Seadweller came out running 1 second fast and after 3 years still runs 1 second fast.
Honest, I am not promoting anything here, since I buy the more expensive watches, but my two SEIKOs beside the Rolex are the most accurate watch I have ever owned.
And without knowing all the assembling details, I would think Rolex and Seiko might be the most automized watch companies out there....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.