WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct or besy way to store or display a mechanical auto winding watch? (Not in a winder)

Should you allow it to unwind and stop running?

Should you pull the crown out to stop the function?

If you pull the crown out of a self winding auto will it retain spring tension and if so for how long and is this bad for the watch?

Just a few questions I had running through my mind. Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I just let them run down.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
What is the correct or besy way to store or display a mechanical auto winding watch? (Not in a winder)
Not in a trash compactor - not underwater - not in a jar of jam....

Okay, find a place they won't get accidentally damaged and lay them flat. If you keep them out of direct sunlight all the better.

Sure, no worries. Just wind the ones you don't wear often once every couple of months.

No, not on a mechanical. On a quartz it could save the battery depending on if the movement has this feature or not.

If you pull the crown out of a self winding auto will it retain spring tension and if so for how long and is this bad for the watch?
I don't know about modern springs, but old ones did get "tired". No matter how good an alloy is nowadays I'd still let it wind down instead.

·
Moderator at Large
53,199 Posts
What is the correct or best way to store or display a mechanical auto winding watch? (Not in a winder)

Yes, why not :-s

Why that ? Never ever did that with one of my watches and all are running well since decades.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,082 Posts
Store it in an attractive leather watch case on a watch pillow to minimize the scratches from storage.

Just let it run down. Keping the watch running when you are not using it is sort of like leaving the engine running on your car. Serves no purpose.

Actually if you left the watch in a pepetually wound state for quite a while the spring could take a set and become less strong.

Welcome to Watchuseek!! Great questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
me like

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts