WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At what price point does accuracy become less of an issue and bling name
takes center stage? Can you reccomend a primer for this fascinating topic.
BTW my first Automatic is on its way a 50.00 Orient:thanks
PS I know that its the mechanical aspect that takes center stage on this topic

·
Registered
827 Posts
I read this post about 15 minutes ago and thought, "That's a dumb question!"
What's the point of that question? and What does he mean? I came back to the post and thought, maybe I know what he's asking...maybe not!:-d

IMHO, I think you can have a correlation between price vs accuracy vs bling at several different price points in automatic watches. I don't know that more bling means more or less accuracy though. Many watches may have roughly finished movements and still be quite accurate, although I've found that the more finely finished the movement, case, dial, band, etc... the more accurate the watches CAN be. Typically a quality watch has quality throughout.

It's been a long day and I probably should not submit this post!o|

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
If I understand your question you are wondering where the quality of the watch stops increasing and the name recognition begins? Well, at different points really. There are many great watches at around the $1000 range that would probably give some "luxury" brands a run for their money, Damasko/Sinn comes to mind, although I've never owned one, those who do are highly impressed at the value/price ratio. Omega's start at around the 1500-2000 range and are great watches but do have name recognition, at the same time the Grand Seiko line begins at about the same range with similar or superior quality but doesn't have the same recognition as Omega. Of course Rolex and Breitling begin at the 3-4000+ range and you get the bling name along with the great watch. So my point is, that in each price range you look at there are better values than others, and each range has a "bling" name that people will buy for the recognition.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If I understand your question you are wondering where the quality of the watch stops increasing and the name recognition begins? Well, at different points really. There are many great watches at around the $1000 range that would probably give some "luxury" brands a run for their money, Damasko/Sinn comes to mind, although I've never owned one, those who do are highly impressed at the value/price ratio. Omega's start at around the 1500-2000 range and are great watches but do have name recognition, at the same time the Grand Seiko line begins at about the same range with similar or superior quality but doesn't have the same recognition as Omega. Of course Rolex and Breitling begin at the 3-4000+ range and you get the bling name along with the great watch. So my point is, that in each price range you look at there are better values than others, and each range has a "bling" name that people will buy for the recognition.
Yeah, what he said!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Haha, you beat me to it Bob, but you were basically saying the same thing I did. I think I understood his question. To reinforce what I said, if you have some particular watches you are interested in, you could always ask us which is the better value, thats what I ususally do. What price range are you looking at? I could probably tell you which brands to shop for and ones not to if it is in the >$2-300 range, if higher than some other people could help you out.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Your 50$ Orient might be as accurate as a 3k "name" watch.
Accuracy in automatics is pretty much a crapshoot unless you're buying a chronometer certified watch or a brand known to be well regulated from the maker such as Damasko.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,109 Posts
I think you are on the right track Tragic. Almost any watch is accurate over a short period of time in benign circumstances. A "timekeeper" chronometer is designed for accuracy in all conditions. Would one wear a blinger into a combat situation? Would one expose diamonds to salt spray for months at a time on an ocean going vessel? Its got to be horses for courses. Almost any finish can be applied to a watch and worn anywhere.... hehe.... but almost any watch can be finished if worn in the wrong circumstances :). I think I'm trying, in a round about way, to describe the law of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Yeah, you're basically saying that at some point, paying extra for bling will inevitablly be a bad economic choice in that the conditions suitable for such a watch would be more limited than a watch that has a SS, PVD, Bead Blasted, and etc. finish as opposed to a gold plated, diamond encrusted, and ect. case finish.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yeah, don't depend on the price to make it accurate. I just got a Volstock (<50 dollars)that is as good in accuracy as one of the watches that has it's own forum here that cost 14 times more!. Sometimes makers seem to put more into style then into accuracy, and if your not a "suck butt" to them, you might as well not post your observations. Of course this may get deleted too, LOLOLOLOLOL
Regards Sonny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts