WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick question ( i could not find this question using the search function). Will wearing an automatic watch while Jet Skiing ruin the movement?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,081 Posts
QUick question ( i could not find this question using the search function). Will wearing an automatic watch while Jet Skiing ruin the movement?
Will it definitiely ruin the movement? Not likely.
Is there a chance it could ruin the movement. Yes definitely.

Whether the watch survives or not depends on a few things. Does the watch have water resistant seals. What depth are the seals rated to. Are the seals any good. If your hand or the watch bangs into the Jet Ski when it is in motion then there is an excellent chance it will be damaged.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a similar concern. I play on Jet Skis, Snowmobiles and ATV's (especially ATV's on the farm-lots of hills and I get it airborn every once in a while) and was concerned that the vibration and jolting would hurt my Seiko Orange Monster so I spent a little over a $100 and purchased an atomic Casio Mudman.

Works great and never misses a beat. I still use my Orange Monster for diving and swimming and my dress watches for business.

I am really impressed with the Mudman for the money.

Ken

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
Quick question ( i could not find this question using the search function). Will wearing an automatic watch while Jet Skiing ruin the movement?
Why don't you wear a G-shock instead ?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I do not think it will damage it.
The impact is quite soft.
I have a friend that is into Off Shore racing, ex World Champion,that wears a Breitling. No problem with the watch, but his spine is damaged.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
While there is always a chance an auto movement could be damaged by sudden impacts and such, I've worn my Stowa Seatime several times while jet skiing and have no problems.

While a g-shock is a no brainer, hey live on the edge a little.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Yos, but they are just soooo ugly!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The G

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Why don't you wear a G-shock instead ?
Even a $20 Casio non-G is tough enough for jet skiing. It's the vibration that a watch might suffer that would worry me most with an auto. Partly because you can't say what frequencies a particular watch's mechanism might resonate with - in theory a watch could be fine on one ski, and subtly damaged by another.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Jet skiing isnt that strenuous...you guys are getting to be a bit much :-d

Not every physical activity needs a hideous gshock on your arm

If your watch can handle the water, you are good to go :-!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I worked in a Kawasaki/Yamaha shop part time for 12 years. A friend at the shop tested a new Yamaha WaveRunner one afternoon while wearing his white dial rolex explorer II. When he got back to the loading ramp...the watch was gone.
Imho, a very good reason not to wear a pricey watch while riding a PWC.

Besides that, a PWC/MC/4 wheeler etc can shake the guts out of a mechanical watch.
Mechanicals are cool but not not very rugged compared to quartz.

Modern 'tool watches' do not have hairsprings. :-d

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
I worked in a Kawasaki/Yamaha shop part time for 12 years. A friend at the shop tested a new Yamaha WaveRunner one afternoon while wearing his white dial rolex explorer II. When he got back to the loading ramp...the watch was gone.
It's a very costly test, it's sad :think:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts