WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends

I have a question for all auto watch owners. You who have more automatics, do you all have watch winders to wind your watches when you don't wear them, or you just leave them to stop, and then adjust them when you want to wear them.
Is that bad for autos to leave them to stop every now and then?
All my watches are quartz, and I'm thinking about buying first auto.

Regards

·
Registered
871 Posts
It is very unnecessary to keep them on a watch winder, also it is not recommended, since the movement keeps running and therefore there will be wastage! There's no damage to the watch as long as it's unwind. Anyway, the watch will start as soon as you pick it up, to me the best watch winder is my wrist:-!
Personally, I think a watch winder is a waste of money and above all, energy!
There might be a use for a ww in case you own one of those very expensive and complicated (e.g. perpetual calender) auto watches...
Cheers,
Sebastian

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have two of the invicta watch winders...I got them both for a combined price of $35 at a local discount store. Totally worth it. They last over a month on one charge. More like 1.5-2 months. I own a couple Seiko Auto's, an Invica auto (cheap myota one), an Omega Planet Ocean, an Omega Seamaster Chronograph and an Omega Speedy Pro. I get my pro running at least once a week for a couple days but I DO let it die when it's not on the wrist, I DO let my Omega watches die most of the time as I'm either wearing them all the time or one of them sits.

Mostly I keep the Seikos and the Invicta running on the winder simply for convenience. I work a dirty, physical job where my watch occasionally gets banged up so those are my beaters. I don't care about wear...I'll still probably get 20 years out of all of them.

In regards to wear on the movement....I don't think that's true...they're lubricated and jeweled so they're meant to run. The rotor won't be continually spinning as most winders cycle (might run for 20 minutes every couple hours). I figure it's better to keep a watch lubed by keeping it running and keep the tension on the spring by having it partially winding and unwinding all the time rather than having a slack spring and a stationary movement where the oils get to settle and maybe start to dry.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
A winder is not necessary. I find it is usually for people who care less about accuracy and more about showing off their collection. Think about it this way - even if a watch is on a winder, you'll have to set the time when you pick it up after a few days anyways, unless you like having your time wildly off. Maybe its because I'm so picky, but I like my watch to be set to atomic time when I put it on in the morning. I guess some people don't mind it being off.

·
Registered
611 Posts
A winder is not necessary. I find it is usually for people who care less about accuracy and more about showing off their collection. Think about it this way - even if a watch is on a winder, you'll have to set the time when you pick it up after a few days anyways, unless you like having your time wildly off. Maybe its because I'm so picky, but I like my watch to be set to atomic time when I put it on in the morning. I guess some people don't mind it being off.
I've been wearing my PO nearly every day to where I keep it going constantly....when on the wrist, it gains 4 sec a day...when off, it's gained as much as twice that strangely. I guess it likes to be worn. Once a week, I pull the crown out to stop it and let the atomic clock time catch up before I set it to motion again. Is that bad?

I know what you mean about accuracy...I'm a freak for it too :-d

·
Registered
611 Posts
Though I don't think a winder is for people who like to show off their watches...I keep my two in my gun safe along with my watches. I use them more as tools of convenience. I frequently hit the ground running as soon as I get out of bed in the morning and I don't like to mess with my watch when I'm that groggy. Even if I had time. It's nice to be able to pick up a watch off the winder that I haven't worn in a week and put it on knowing the time is fairly accurate and I just have to strap and go.:-!

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Of all my autos(20+), the only one that I keep on a winder is the one without a quick-set date. It runs slightly slow, so when I want to wear it and I need to adjust the time and date, I only have to spin the hands a couple of times instead of 30, 40 or 50 times.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have more autos than winders, but I rotate them (pun intended) on the winders. Depends on which one I'm in the mood to wear.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't even put my Vostok on a winder, having to set the date old school style doesn't bother me :-d

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
All but 2 of mine are autos and I don't have any winders, its set and go each morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts