WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Been lurking for a while and am now looking for my first automatic - been a quartz guy up until now, and I'm hoping you all can help me find the perfect watch.

I'm looking for a dressy watch, and love the slightly unusual look of the second hand in a subdial. Stowa has some very nice watches in my price range, but they all seem to be manual wind

http://stowa.de/shop/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=17164&ls=e&nc=1252250982-17608&rubnum=marine&artnum=marineoriginalroemisch&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--marine

http://stowa.de/shop/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=17164&ls=e&nc=1252251630-24853&rubnum=antea&artnum=anteaklsek&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--antea

Can anyone recommend a similar watch with an automatic movement? Budget is in the 500 euro range, +/-. Ideally looking for something not too huge - I love my bigger sporty watches, but for something a bit dressier I think too big can be overkill.

Any and all recommendations are most welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Glycine Eugene Meylan (can be found used in your price range):

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The one that comes to mind is the Oris Artelier Small Seconds---a little out of your price range when new, but definitely in your range when used. It has terrific fit and finish and a great value.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The seconds sub dial is a retro look. Almost all watches looked that way a couple decades ago. If you like that look, there are many cool vintage watches that have the same appearance.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Definitely check out the Bernhardt Officer. Beautiful watch with Swiss movement.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Look at the Hamilton Jazzmaster. I bought my father one with a silver dial and small seconds at the 6 that's real nice and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You must check the Tissot HERITAGE 2008 (T025.408.16.032.00)

It's an automatic officially certified chronometer, and it's quite cheap.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I think a few brands will give you a handful options within your parameters, but it's going to be tough to beat a Stowa for the clean look you seem to be after.

Not bad, but that Tissot inscription is terrible looking.
It's a throw back to the font they used pre-1970.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The most common automatic movement with small seconds in production is the ETA 2895. If you search on teh interwebz you for that term "ETA 2895" you should get many choices!

-s-

·
Registered
977 Posts
My Baby! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Try Longines:

If Stowa new is in your range then Longines grey should be similar. But out of curiosity what's wrong with hand-wind?

The vast majority of modern automatics with small second hands are indirect seconds, that is the gear driving the seconds is really in line with the minute and hour hands, so there's another intermediate gear to drive the small seconds. Those two Stowa pieces, however, and the vast majority of modern manual movements (ETA Peseux/Unitas) have direct second hands. So with most autos, small seconds is purely a design thing, and the second hand was intentionally moved there, where as with the manual winds that's the actual location. Dunno if I've explained this well. And winding up manual watches is really fun by the way, I have a bunch of autos and a manual wind is my most frequently worn piece (do a thread search on the pros/cons of manual/auto).

If you like the design of those Stowas, I say go for them, nothing wrong with manual at all and the movemenets are actually prettier to look at with no automatic winding bridge/weight in the way. Watching the rotor fly around is boring -- watching the escapement lever firing is way cooler =P

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Lots of vintage Omega autos with subsecond feature. This one is a ref. 2658.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I think most modern watches with this layout look wrong.
The movement with the position of the seconds, were designed for a small, (with todays standard) maybe 38mm watch,
On a larger watch, the seconds subdial will get a little bit closer to the center of the watch, IMO a little bit too close!

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is the Baume and Mercier Capeland, no longer in production through.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Try Longines:

If Stowa new is in your range then Longines grey should be similar. But out of curiosity what's wrong with hand-wind?

The vast majority of modern automatics with small second hands are indirect seconds, that is the gear driving the seconds is really in line with the minute and hour hands, so there's another intermediate gear to drive the small seconds. Those two Stowa pieces, however, and the vast majority of modern manual movements (ETA Peseux/Unitas) have direct second hands. So with most autos, small seconds is purely a design thing, and the second hand was intentionally moved there, where as with the manual winds that's the actual location. Dunno if I've explained this well. And winding up manual watches is really fun by the way, I have a bunch of autos and a manual wind is my most frequently worn piece (do a thread search on the pros/cons of manual/auto).

If you like the design of those Stowas, I say go for them, nothing wrong with manual at all and the movemenets are actually prettier to look at with no automatic winding bridge/weight in the way. Watching the rotor fly around is boring -- watching the escapement lever firing is way cooler =P
I just tried this watch on at Tourneau yesterday. Truly beautiful in person. I believe it was quite a bit more than 500 Euros though. I am considering the Power Reserve model from the same collection.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Perhaps not as dressy as you're looking for, but this Orient World Time CEY04002B fits the bill:

Seconds dial at 6, date dial at 9, and power reserve meter at 1.

24hr. ring that rotates with the time.

Orient in-house 23 jewel automatic movement. Solid bracelet. Beautiful watch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts