WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Just a quick question regarding automatic watches.
Can riding motorcycles negatively affect automatic watches due to vibrations associated with motorcycling?

I have one automatic Traser, which I don't wear while riding, however I'm looking to buy Seiko Alpinist as my everyday watch. During summer months I ride my bike whenever I can. I ride street bike, nothing off road.

I'd appreciate answers from experts. Thanx

I tried to find an answer using search engine, but could't

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
I ride street all summer, with an auto on, and have never had any issue. The biggest problem is that my autos are tall, so I have to wedge them under my jacket.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Not sure about older Harleys. Most models vibrate quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Can it affect it? Sure, any vibration affects mechanical watches.

Will it damage it permanently? Probably not, as motorcycles and mechanical watches existed decades before quartz watches and folks weren't exactly seeing their watches malfunction or fall apart because of it.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I imagine the worst that can happe is a changed accurancy. The Shock protection will take care of the vibrations.

As Eric L points out, nothing happened in the past. And those bikes did vibrate a lot! Not like todays machines.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I ride all year round and haven't noticed anything unusual in any of my watches. I don't wear them on my wrist though, I put them in a jacket pocket. I did notice recently at the end of December early/January that if it's real cold out, put the watch on an inside chest pocket. They don't seem to like the cold much!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm asking only because I read it in one of the manuals. Not sure but I think this was Orient watch. Anyway, thanks for responding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ride an Ultra Classic just about every day it's above freezing with my cheap Seiko automatic, and never had a problem. The Ultra Classic has the rubber mounted motor that shakes at idle, but it's smooth as a bike can be once you're moving. I wouldn't worry about it at all. My old ZG1000 Concours buzzes the bars pretty good, but not enough to damage a watch IMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i ride a dr650. it's a thumper, so it vibrates a bit (nothing like a buell thumper, though. those are insane), and i ride a lot of offroad with many bumps. so far my $20 auto has held up just fine, and i imagine i've done about 4000km in total with it on (i've dropped the watch a few times, too). i'll be taking my alpha on a trip that will span 3 provinces later this year, and i expect it to hold up just fine. as another mentioned, i think the only thing that would be affected is accuracy, and that's just during the riding.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Eric L. said:
Can it affect it? Sure, any vibration affects mechanical watches.

Will it damage it permanently? Probably not, as motorcycles and mechanical watches existed decades before quartz watches and folks weren't exactly seeing their watches malfunction or fall apart because of it.
Yeah. Most people don't know how tough a mechanical watch is. if my 1952 bulova director can handle the suspension in my 1990 Honda civic, it can handle anything ;)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. Most people don't know how tough a mechanical watch is. if my 1952 bulova director can handle the suspension in my 1990 Honda civic, it can handle anything ;)
I used to have 89 honda civic. It took me ten years to find a car that I loved as much. This was my first car...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I ride a Honda Phantom, it has only one cylinder, however, little or no vibration. On a 3 day trip I check my automatic before I leave and when I get back home. No change except the usual plus 1 second a day. Sometimes we get off the paved roads and take mountain roads that are so bumpy and rough that we have to slow down to about 20 KLM an hour and never any harm to my watch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts