WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heading says it all.

I have no idea where to post this. there are a few hundred threads concerning batteries, but nothing generalized that I can find.

What lifespan should I expect from a replacement battery in a quartz analog movement. most of my watches were under $500, and take standard siver oxide buttons. It seems when these watches are new the original batteries would last a couple of years. But no matter what replacement brands I get the subsequent batteries only last 6 or 8 months. I've gotten Maxells from BatteryBob.com, and Energizers from CVS Drugs, and the Korean jewlers use no-names. But none last.

I have an ESQ with the original 4 year old battery in it. when it dies I know I'm going to be opening it twice a year. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I know that watch manufacturers claim many years of battery life, and perhaps they do last longer now than they did years ago, but it did seem like I was always replacing batteries when I wore quartz watches. I only had a couple, but it seemed like one always would need a battery. Often a PITA trying to find the correct one...

The only suggestion that I can offer is to try to buy name brand batteries from a reputable place and try to see what the manufacture date/expiration date is. Also make sure that you're using the correct battery. It's possible that somewhere along the line someone put the wrong, generic battery in your watch that may have a lower capacity than what it should use.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
The heading says it all.

I have an ESQ with the original 4 year old battery in it. when it dies I know I'm going to be opening it twice a year. Anybody have any suggestions?
Buy an Eco-Drive.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
My suggestion: But atomatics and mechanicals. You can get decent quality swiss made autos for around $500.

D

P.S. BTW, which ESQ do you have? I may be able to point you to a swiss made auto that fits your tastes.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I've never had this issue before, but I always took my quartz to a reputable AD to have it done because my friend worked there and I got it done free. ;D Yipee!

Seriously though, I admit that I purposefully know very little about quartz watches, but I've never heard of any battery, generic/low-end/etc, that only performed for 6-8 months. Mine typically lasted right about 2 years.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I just replaced an ESQ quartz with another ESQ quartz the problem is not with the battery. Even though they have less parts, quartz movements, need to be cleaned and seviced. My experience was that the first battery lasted 5yrs the 2nd 2yrs and the third 1yr. when the watch stopped my watch guy tested the battery which was still good. He quickly determined that the watch needed a good cleaning. The cleaning would have cost $75 and replacement was $80 so I just replaced the watch.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
What lifespan should I expect from a replacement battery in a quartz analog movement.
From my own past experience with replacement batteries, I think you should get between 3 and 6 years battery-life IF the watch is a simple "three-hand+date" style.

Now if you throw in lots of complications (chrono, digitial alarms, dial lights, etc...), and you use the features often, then you're going to get less battery-life.

Regardless, you should still get more than 6 to 8 months use out of a new battery.

Good luck,
NOM

·
Registered
869 Posts
15 to 20yrs if you get a Citizen Eco Drive or a Casio Solar Tough watch which you will never have to worry about over using the complications with because well it recharges with a dusting of sunlight b-)

My citizen Skyhawk has been going strong for 5yrs now with 2 of its alarms going off everyday and left on my desk with no special attention paid to putting it anywhere near a window. Just sits there recharging of whatever ambient light it can get :-!

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,833 Posts
The heading says it all.

I have no idea where to post this. there are a few hundred threads concerning batteries, but nothing generalized that I can find.

What lifespan should I expect from a replacement battery in a quartz analog movement. most of my watches were under $500, and take standard siver oxide buttons. It seems when these watches are new the original batteries would last a couple of years. But no matter what replacement brands I get the subsequent batteries only last 6 or 8 months. I've gotten Maxells from BatteryBob.com, and Energizers from CVS Drugs, and the Korean jewlers use no-names. But none last.

There is something else going on if the properly sized siilver oxide replacement watch batteries are really only lasting 6 months. Most original and replacement watch batteries last 3 years and not 4. Are you sure your estimates of time are accurate?:think:

Are these replacement batteries stale dated or expired?

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
there is just not enough information in your post to give you a solid answer. obviously what you have is a power consumption problem. depending on the watch you have, the issue could be addressed in different ways. for example a multi sensor watch is usually programable. some features can be set to active mode and sample constantly. These types of modes are intended for specific use for limited times. if left on, you will kill your battery in short order. Other watches such as LED's are notorious power consumers. there is a possibility that you could have a short of some sort draining power excessively, I just don't know. what i would say is if the watch is under warranty, just take it back to the AD and have them look at it.

In my experience the average lifespan of a basic analog quartz watch from a fashion manufacturer is anywhere from 1 to 2 years. Multisensors tend to have larger multi year batteries, and high end models can have batteries that can power a watch for many years. Of course the argument goes out the window for watches that have rechargeable batteries and supplemental power supplies, such as kinetics or solar powered watches.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
All my Quartz watches are in this price range. Average battery life is about 3 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts