WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After stumbling across the brand I've come pretty close to buying the Hawker Hurricane AV-4011-05, with a Green Dial and Brown Leather Band.
It's Currently on Amazon and Overstock for around $160, but I'm hesitant since I've only found a few first impressions reviews and know its a relatively new UK company.

I question the Japanese (Read Chinese) Quartz or Automatic movements available in their lineup.

Does anyone own an Avi-8 or know anyone who has one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FR70MWW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2TA2KZLKUE5QZ&coliid=I160UYI1HVD9VP

91Y9LqQ-ruL._UY550_.jpg

Wondering if I would be better off with a <$200 Seiko SNN Series, Citizen Echodrive, or Seiko 5

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
"Japanese movement" would typically mean Miyota, Seiko, or Orient. Perhaps a cheaper one built in China or Thailand, but not a cheap Chinese movement like you might be thinking of. HOWEVER, I did find this review where the reviewer thought it was a Miyota but dug into it more and DID find it was a cheap Chinese movement. That dishonesty is enough for me to ignore the brand unless they change.

And I don't see AVI-8 promoting a particular brand on their website or really any movement information at all, which is usually a sign that they're trying to not promote their movement as a positive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You would be better off with a <$200 Seiko SNN Series, Citizen Echodrive, or Seiko 5.

They are cheaply made, and look and feel that way in person. I bought a non chrono mechanical one a lark from a trendy fashion site (the only place I could find them for sale at the time). It took ages to arrive and is quite a disappointment. There are machining tool marks on the bezel and case from cutting the metal too quickly, the strap is junk and I wore it the afternoon I got it and never again.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,440 Posts
I question the Japanese (Read Chinese) Quartz or Automatic movements available in their lineup.[/quartz]The one pictured almost certainly has a Japanese quartz movement (Seiko or Miyota), which is pretty common for watches such as these. I don't know of any Chinese quartz chronograph movements.

[quartz]Wondering if I would be better off with a <$200 Seiko SNN Series, Citizen Echodrive, or Seiko 5
I don't really see much similarity between that watch and a Seiko 5. But if you can find something similar from a major Japanese brand for a comparable price then that would be the safe option.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought an AVI-8 Hawker Hurricane on Amazon about 6 months ago and posted a review here on WUS, search for it. I liked it for the price, but I did end up selling it here on WUS a couple weeks ago, mainly as it was too big on my small wrist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts