WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased this watch 3 years ago on a Lufthansa flight from Germany to Canada in their Fly and Buy catalog. I had a problem with it and had to return it to Lufthansa. (Crown pulled out of the watch casing... couldn't agree on service terms with them... long story)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Anyway, I really liked the watch and have been casting around for it online for some time. I finally found it from an eBay retailer, see link, in Israel that carries, apparently, a bunch of these "travel retail exclusive" type Aviator watches.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290656723957...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1018wt_1165

(Disclaimer: I am including the eBay link to show the watch and where I purchased it, not for resale or to promote this business, please forgive me if this is a violation of the AUP for Watchuseek forums)

The packaging is identical to what I purchased on the plane and so, seemingly, is the watch. The watch is, according to the faceplate, Model
AVW2369G57
and is described as:

Aviator Men Watch
. Model no. AVW2369G57
Aviator Mens Tachymeter Watch. Black IPB Stainless Steel Case.Black Chronograph Dial with Calendar,Luminous Hands and Hour Markings.Black Leather Strap with Contrasting White Stitching. Water Resistant to 10ATM.
The price I paid on eBay is about what I paid for it on the flight, minus about 15%. The same (?) watch is available from several Russian websites, RUgift being one of them, for substantially more.

Can someone confirm for me who makes this watch and whether I have something that is authentic or a "knockoff"? I'm not too concerned, other than the legal ramifications of promoting forgeries, about the legitimacy of the watch, as I love it, but it would be nice to know some history on this chronograph.

Thanks,

Clay Bergen

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the information. It's interesting that they would "license" their name to a completely different company to make their watches. Is this normal in the industry?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Personally I would stick with the true Russian Aviator. I've seen their watches advertise on flights and although they look nice watches the quality just doesn't look good. Most seem to have ETA movements or mostly Quartz. Yet their still pretty highly priced.

I have to Aviator Wings (proper Aviators) and I must say they are one of the best built Russian watches I've seen so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts