WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I stumbled over this forum via one of the SKX 007 threads. What a great board full of maniacs!

This concept of mine might interest you. I'm an industrial designer from germany. At my job I design locomotives/ trains, this is s.th. I did two years ago just for the fun of it during a software training (the watch was modeled and rendered in Cinema 4D).

As you can tell, the dials are moving. Back then I really wondered if that might be a new concept since I never saw a watch w/ moving dials instead of hands. Just recently my wife bought a fashion watch w/ moving dials (hours and minutes) in tokyo for 8,-$, so I guess it's a known concept, right?

Anyway, I know the readability of my watch design is rather weak. I see it more as a lifestyle timepiece for individualists, since the dials move ccw.

[/URL]
Untitled von der Wal auf Flickr

Untitled von der Wal auf Flickr

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I actually like it......a lot.

I might even say I love it.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Der Wal.
first up, I love the look of your design
however I don't quite know where the aviation reference is displayed.
watch ..yes.
aviation watch... no

·
Registered
615 Posts
Very nice looking dial and case combo. The pointer at the 12 is a bit confusing to me since it draws my eye immediately as an active function. As a pilot watch, I would like to see numbers at each marker too, even if they were smaller at the "Non-key" positions,(12, 3 ,6, 9 Larger). Quick look & an easy read for pilot use. Thank you for posting your design and allowing us to critique. I think it would sell!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Very, very cool design. What's the anticipated diameter of the watch? The pushers on the side of the case would usually indicate it's a chronograph? Is that the case? If so, how is the chrono function indicated on the dial (I don't see subdials, per se)?

·
Registered
574 Posts
One other question: mechanical or quartz? I imagine it would be expensive as a mechanical especially with a 7750 movement. If you threw in a Chinese Sea Gull ST19 hand wind movement, it could be done for much less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please note that this is a concept watch. It has to be running on batteries since the e-ink fields in the middle comsume a little (very little) power. So this watch would make no sense being an automatic. I say this is a quartz.

Chronometer functions can be displayed on those e-ink fields.

This watch is more of a lifestyle product, so readability is really second rate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diameter would be 40-42mm. If i actually had to process this design, i'd 3d print two models w/ different sizes to check the perfect diameter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice looking dial and case combo. The pointer at the 12 is a bit confusing to me since it draws my eye immediately as an active function. As a pilot watch, I would like to see numbers at each marker too, even if they were smaller at the "Non-key" positions,(12, 3 ,6, 9 Larger). Quick look & an easy read for pilot use. Thank you for posting your design and allowing us to critique. I think it would sell!
Looking back at the design, i must say you are absolutely right. I'd place numbers at the non-key positions.
Much bettet readability and i guess it'd do the design good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts