WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resumed my watch collection a few months ago after going through a lull period of a few years. I was on a watch spree for the last few months and bought a few watches.
The watches I bought are from under-radar brands like Sinn and Tudor which most of the non-wis has never heard about.
I was really tempted to buy an Omega but stopped myself just in time. My gf would definitely notice it due to the strong branding.
What are some of the reasons why u guys would not buy heavily advertised brands like omega and tag heuer?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I suppose many WIS crave exclusivity and feel that they are paying for the brand's advertising budget rather than the product itself. How a brand markets itself could also have negative associations in certain circles.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The only brand I would consider avoiding due to its recognition would be Rolex, and even then I probably wouldn't let the branding stop me. Most Rolex owners around here have few to no stories about their watches being recognized. I wear an Omega myself, and no one besides fellow watch enthusiasts notice it. Some of my closer friends know how much I spent on it, but I can guarantee you that the majority of my friends wouldn't be able to tell you what kind of watch I wear. Even if they noticed, I wouldn't care - I love watches, and I don't care who knows that! Lots of people have hobbies and interests they spend lots of money on, and there's no shame in that.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Can't think of any reasons. TAG Heuer and Omega wearer here. Both beautiful, high quality watches that make me feel a little better about the world every time I look at them. I like Sinn and Tudor too, don't get me wrong. But not buying something because of advertising is still buying because of advertising. Buy what you love.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I suppose many WIS crave exclusivity and feel that they are paying for the brand's advertising budget rather than the product itself. Public brand recognition could also be bad in certain circles.

Yup. Not just a WIS thing, something I seem to do around other hobbies / lifestyle stuff as well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sinn and Tudor are definitely not under the radar brands, especially here.
Where in Canada are you located? Here on the east coast I think they'd definitely be under the radar, since apparently my Omega is! :p

EDIT: I hope that doesn't sound like I'm saying Omega is "above" Sinn or Tudor somehow, because that wasn't my intent: I'm just saying it is a generally more widely advertised brand, IMO.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I won't discount a brand just because it is heavily advertised though, you should know in Singapore even Patek advertises on the papers :-d

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Omega and tag heuer are widely recognised in Singapore. Even my non wis friends know about them. If I buy an Omega, my gf would nag at me non-stop. She would know I spend a bomb on it and my watch collecting would be more scruntised. Would gladly own an omega if I get the chance to. Love the new co axial movement!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
If anything popularity (or unpopularity) on WUS is what'll cause me to look at a brand with a more questioning eye. Going with the crowd is still going with the crowd and that always causes me to consider what my motives actually are. That's not a bad thing, in fact it's a helpful thing, but it is a thing,

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Brands that can afford expensive marketing campaigns are typically sound companies with excellent customer service, if anything I tend to want to put my money in their pocket over brands that may be out of business next year.

And I don't know I would put Tudor in the not heavily advertised arena, I see it everywhere and the parent company is Rolex.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a cousin who owns a few Rolex and Panerai. When he sees my black bay, he did not have a clue what a tudor is. I even need to explain to him that Tudor is a sister company of Rolex. Lol.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Meh, I don't care. I buy what I like. Every single watch I own has had its detractors and it's proponents. (My daughters absolutely love the Invicta they bought me!).

Most of my friends know I love watches and check my wrist to see what I'm wearing. But even then they only tend to comment on colors or the aforementioned Invicta (sub aqua Noma III In yellow and black).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I like having "different" things - I don't want to see my car on every other corner (I drive a Suzuki Kizashi - perhaps the most rare car in the USA under $100k), and I don't want to see my watch on every other wrist, so Rolex is pretty well out of the question, no matter how fine a watch it is.

Nobody knows Ball or Hamilton or RGM. A lot know Breitling (and reaction is kind of "meh") and some know IWC (but those who do, reaction was very positive).

·
Registered
363 Posts
First of all, a Tudor is just a Submariner with a $200 movement inside it. It is highly associated with Rolex- the king of marketing.

I buy whatever I like and feel provides a good value. Whether it is a brand like Omega or Halios, I don't care as long as I like it. I also don't really care if I see other people wearing it. I don't feel smug when thinking that I may be the only one within a few miles wearing that particular type of watch.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I like having "different" things - I don't want to see my car on every other corner (I drive a Suzuki Kizashi - perhaps the most rare car in the USA under $100k), and I don't want to see my watch on every other wrist, so Rolex is pretty well out of the question, no matter how fine a watch it is.

Nobody knows Ball or Hamilton or RGM. A lot know Breitling (and reaction is kind of "meh") and some know IWC (but those who do, reaction was very positive).

Rare is not exactly the right way of putting it. If it were rare you could not go to any dealership and have your pick of dozens of them. You may want to look into why they don't sell well...

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
Doesn't matter much to me whether the most heavily advertised or not, 150 year old manufacture or brand new startup, if I like the look and can afford it, it'll be on my wrist . . .

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Omega and tag heuer are widely recognised in Singapore. Even my non wis friends know about them. If I buy an Omega, my gf would nag at me non-stop. She would know I spend a bomb on it and my watch collecting would be more scruntised. Would gladly own an omega if I get the chance to. Love the new co axial movement!
It seems to me that your gf's disapproval of luxury watches collection is the root cause, not advertising. You have a lot of persuasion to do, haha. Hopefully, she can eventually tolerates it.

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Some ads have a negative effect on me. No way I'm going to get an Omega that says 007 on the dial (case back is OK), or a Rolex Rolex Rolex Rolex Rolex (it's a watch, not a billboard) ...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts